MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.
This might appear to be a silly problem, but while putting on the air conditioner an unbelievable stink of WET DOG comes through the vents. I can't find anyway to better describe the problem.
This only happens when the aircon is on and I believe only when the compressor is running. The problem seems to be at its worst during the first couple of minutes.
I haven't changed the air filter nor have I changed the coolant gas in the system yet. Anybody have a similar problem? I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem and enjoy the airconditioning without the stench.
Thank you:confused:

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Smelly aircon is a common problem in all cars, not just MINIs, and is caused by bacteria in the system. You can buy cleaning sprays for the system to kill it off, but before you do, try this.

Turn ventlination up to full blast, and set temp to coldest.
Run for 1 minute.
Now set temparature to hottest, and run for 1 minute.

Repeat for a good while, alternating between cold and hot - should kill off the bacteria, and improve the smell :)

·
Noob
247 Posts
Hello.
This might appear to be a silly problem, but while putting on the air conditioner an unbelievable stink of WET DOG comes through the vents. I can't find anyway to better describe the problem.
This only happens when the aircon is on and I believe only when the compressor is running.
I haven't changed the air filter nor have I changed the gas in the system yet. Anybody have a similar problem? I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem and enjoying the airconditioning without the extra smellovision effects.
Thank you:confused:
Do you find that the smell is only on for about the first minute when the AC is on? Mine does this, but the smell goes away.

Either that, or I get used to it so quickly that I can't smell it anymore. Hahaha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I will try your suggestion.
In the event that it doesn't help, where exactly do you have to put the cleaning spray?
Can I do it myself?
Thank you!

Smelly aircon is a common problem in all cars, not just MINIs, and is caused by bacteria in the system. You can buy cleaning sprays for the system to kill it off, but before you do, try this.

Turn ventlination up to full blast, and set temp to coldest.
Run for 1 minute.
Now set temparature to hottest, and run for 1 minute.

Repeat for a good while, alternating between cold and hot - should kill off the bacteria, and improve the smell :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, in fact, the stink goes away after a while. At least I think so. The friend sitting next to me had a slightly different opinion and as a result he opened the window!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'd slightly tweak the advice above to say use a mid speed fan position with your A/C on full cold (preferably with resirc on) for 5-10 mins. This should create a bit of ice which, once you switch to the full hot air, should melt and help flush the bugs and bacteria away.

NB: If you run your a/c more frequently (without recirculation) the smell should not happen.

Failing this, you may need your a/c system deep-cleaning, which your dealership can do for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem seems to be getting somewhat better. I also just bought a new cabin air filter and a bottle of Wynn's airco cleaner. Just changed the filter and it was DISGUSTING !I Probably hadn't been changed in years. I think the aircon just hasn't been used enough, because the weather here is generally mild.
How often does that cabin filter need to be changed?
Thank you for all of your good advise. I appreciate it, as I'm not particularly handy.

·
smcc
326 Posts
over here we do have odour smells upon starting og air condition. I have tried various methods as mentioned in this forum nothing could helps. I have tried COMMA, it does help but not at all times. Incidentally there was a day when all shelter carparks were full, I decided parked at open air lot for about 4 hours under the sun. I was surprised the sour or bad smell has vanished. So whenever the bad smell occurs I let the hot sun does the job and it works ALWAYS!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
124 Posts
It could also simply be that you are not using it enough. I know certainly from my mum's car that if she doesn't use it every couple of weeks then it does smell (even if the filters have been changed).

·
smcc
326 Posts
It could also simply be that you are not using it enough. I know certainly from my mum's car that if she doesn't use it every couple of weeks then it does smell (even if the filters have been changed).
Thanks for your respond. I use to drive daily to work and yet the sour odor smells occurs intermittenly. So far after under sunshine twic a week, till date the smell is gone for more than a year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts