MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a while back that people's car alarms were going off in their convertibles with heavy rain.

Is the alarm standard on the covertible or is it a deal add on?

I read on the MiniUSA website that the cars come pre-wired for the alarm, maybe in Europe it's a standard feature?

Let me know. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
dinger said:
This only happens to a few so its not common on all cabrios.

In the UK it is a standard feature.

Sorry,but I cant really comment on the MINIUSA website.

dinger.:)

How do we lock our convertibles if we leave the roof off or in sunroof position?

Can we just use the normal button on the key? If I press the normal lock button on the key I assume the alarm will automatically be set but I think the alarm will go off if the roof is off - is this correct?

Should I just lock the car with the key in the lock rather than remotely?

·
Dark Silver/White
75 Posts
When I picked up my MCC on Saturday I was told that when the roof was down, the alarm would set but it would only be sensitive to any movement within the car itself. I was told that anyone trying to reach in and take anything out of the car from on a seat or in the glove box would set the alarm off. I have tried this myself a couple of times and to be honest, you need one hell of a lot of movement to actually set the thing off. :rolleyes:

Maybe because of all the rain setting off alarms that other people have experienced, they have desensitised this a bit. I'm not too sure what happens when the sun roof bit only is down though - not tried that out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
With the roof down the alarm only watches below the level of the top of the doors. My alarm went of when I reached in get my walllet (forgot I armed it!) which is nice to know.
It also seems to self activate after about a minute with the roof down

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
wanna hear screwy? well, MINI2 babe maganoo just picked up her conv S from a reputable US dealership last weekend. They had installed a crappy AFTERMARKET alarm and charged her for the real MINI thing. Now her alarm goes off at will. Cute, huh.

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
GMINI said:
wanna hear screwy? well, MINI2 babe maganoo just picked up her conv S from a reputable US dealership last weekend. They had installed a crappy AFTERMARKET alarm and charged her for the real MINI thing. Now her alarm goes off at will. Cute, huh.
Why thanks for bringing me up John. Habberstad has graciously agreed to remove the alarm and reimburse me. It seems only certain dealers install the MINI alarm and Habberstad told me that the alarm isn't available for 05 even though other have it installed in their 05's. After I get reimbursed I am gonna order the MINI one from Class ($295) have my Dad install it and then have Habberstad program it for a half hour labor.

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
maganoo said:
It seems only certain dealers install the MINI alarm and Habberstad told me that the alarm isn't available for 05 even though other have it installed in their 05's.
Sounds like Habberstad is yanking yer top, Maganoo, which doesn't surprise me. :mad: All US MINI dealers can install the remainder of the Oxford-wired OEM alarm (siren, cool throbbing red stalk lite) activate the sensors, program the keys, and bingo! After all, it wouldn't be an OEM system without full factory/dealer support.

(you're really gonna love the red lite :D :D ) Jimbo

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
sequence said:
Sounds like Habberstad is yanking yer top, Maganoo, which doesn't surprise me. :mad: All US MINI dealers can install the remainder of the Oxford-wired OEM alarm (siren, cool throbbing red stalk lite) activate the sensors, program the keys, and bingo! After all, it wouldn't be an OEM system without full factory/dealer support.

(you're really gonna love the red lite :D :D ) Jimbo
I would have said that they were "yanking my top" too if they hadn't been willing to refund my money for the alarm. My MA said they haven't installed the MINI alarms since early 04. Hey, in any case ordering it and having it installed by someone I know, will save me money.
Oh, I do have a throbing red light, but it's on top of the steering column...not on the end of the stalk. Wonder how they're gonna cover up that hole when they uninstall it :confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
bummer

Picked up my convertible today to find out they didn't install the alarm because the 2005 Convertible alarms arent out yet and I'll need to drive back to the dealer (100 miles) to get it fitted when it comes out, tried to convince the dealer to let the one closer to me install it. Will see what happens. Though I already got charged for the alarm and installation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ditto for me... I've paid for it; but the dealer still can't get them.

Anyone have any scoop on why its not available in the US yet?

For you across the pond dwellers, where are the ultrasonics coming from to prevent people from reaching in? On the Tin roof, the module was on the underside of the ceiling, but my dealer and I couldn't tell where you would get that functionality on the convertible?

MacGuruTX

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much?

How much was the alarm option? I'm thinking about getting that in my MCSC...I'll wait to hear people's opinions here in the US when they get it installed.

I'm also waiitng to hear when the Mini Sirius option becomes availabe for the 2005.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Actual cost is unknown at the moment since it hasn't been released in the US. In the UK its' included for the convertibles.

True Mini Alarm for the Tin Tops is $499 (roughly, depending on the usual dealer labor profit rates)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts