MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem has arisen in the last week or so on my 2005 MCS. One morning I came out and the car would not disarm or unlock on the key fob, so unlocked with key and alarm went off, stopped it with key in ignition. Tried to lock with the remote that evening, would not work so had to use the key in the lock.

Tried to reprogram the key using the standard method, nothing doing. I thought it may be the key, so I drove around for a couple of days to charge it up before trying again, but still would not work. I had a new remote key on order anyway, so tried that when it arrived, that didn't work either. Both keys lock/unlock manually and start the car properly.

I have tried to get to the root of the problem by checking the receiver in the mirror (replaced with new mirror and receiver a month ago as mirror was duff), the BCM for water damage, the central locking, fuses, disconnected/reconnected battery, all are looking normal or working properly through other checks. The one thing I have noticed is that when locking with the key, the red alarm light does not come on, which I thought should happen according to the manual.

Just wondering if there are any other avenues I should check before biting the bullet and taking it to mini where they will fleece me diagnose the problem at cost.

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
122 Posts
Is the battery in your key fob dead? It’s a 2032, IIRC.

I rebuilt my key fob a few months ago with valvashon’s advice, and if you remove the circuit board there will be an LED on the switch side of the board that lights up when one of the switches is pushed.

If one of your switches is broken, replacements are available from Mouser Electronics, # 611-KSR221G-LFS or the manufacturer is C&K, KSR221GLFS.

You’ll need a small soldering iron.

Oh yes, the chip for the Immobilizer is in the corner of the key fob - don’t lose it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's the newer key with the rechargeable battery that is charged from the ignition when you are driving. I'm also using a brand new key which has no battery problems.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem when I picked up my R53 last week. I did a soft
software reset via the hidden menu on the rev counter, and mine then began to work. Give that a go buddy.

Reactions: Dan_in_WA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I had the same problem when I picked up my R53 last week. I did a soft
software reset via the hidden menu on the rev counter, and mine then began to work. Give that a go buddy.
That's an avenue I haven't tried. Will have a go, but don't suppose you could describe what you did on the hidden menu to save me a search?

·
Registered
316 Posts
sorry for delay buddy...so following instructions in order:
1) key in ignition, and press and hold down button on rev counter.
2) turn key to position 1(whilst keeping button down)
3) should come up with 'test'..release button.
4) keep pressing button scrolling to 19...then hold down until you see "on" to "off" flashing
5) when on "off" press button in.
6) then scroll to number 21 by repeatedly pressing button.
7) when at 21 should say 'reset'
8) press once and should then see everything turn off and reboot.
9) finally get out of car and see if car will then lock using remote.

Hope I have everything in correct order...failing that there are youtube clips explaining.

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
122 Posts
+1 to what maxdude said, because this thread will help the next person who has this problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went out and tried this morning, went through the menu, got it to reset and the tried to lock the car but still didn't work. Also tried revalidation of the keys with push 3 times while holding unlock etc but still no dice.
I have a creator 310+ diagnostic tool and went through the systems on that and everything is working as it should. The only red flag is that it will not communicate with the BCM, which leads me to believe there may be a problem in that. This is where I am truly stumped as everything else that the BCM handles is working properly and as I said in my first post I've had a look at it and there is no water damage or wire problems apparent. The alarm still won't arm on the key lock as it should, but diagnostic says system is ok.
I'm stumped - going to have to bite the bullet and go to mini with it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
sorry you are still back at square 1 buddy!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
First things checked before any fault finding; was hoping it was something easy like that 😀
Will start at the start again and see how I get on (y)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
For me a few years back a faulty alternator not charging the battery properly caused all sort of problems you're experiencing with intermittent central locking and alarm system, initially thought the problems was with the keys and/or the receiver unit.

Have you checked the connectors like the ground etc... for rust?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, was all checked when it went through MOT a couple of months ago. Ground points were cleaned out and checked, battery was ok, pretty much sound given the age of the car. Previous owner had looked after it well :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts