MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MCS manual 6spd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read so much i'm getting confused on the right path. I have a 2003 R53. Ordered my .33 ohm 100w resistors and 10 ga wire. Some say a simple snip of the low fan wire fan side and then splice in the resistor to the high speed fan wire. Some say they didn't use a resistor and jumped it right to the high speed fan so the high kicks in at 105 deg. Some say they had to splice in at the plug as well as at the existing oem resistor that's on the fan. So confused.
Some examples..
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Line Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Gas Vehicle

Rectangle Font Parallel Software Screenshot

·
Registered
68 Posts
Using a resister simply replaces the faulty OE component and means that on "low" the fan runs a little slower and is kinder to the fan. If you don't include the resister then the fan will run at full speed on "low" which would work fine but just put more strain on fan if you sit in traffic for long periods.

Unless the plug has a problem the splice should work on the wires going to the fan as shown in your picture.

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
not much help to you here, but feel compelled to say all this is just so unnecessary, it only needs the standard type resistor renewing, cheap, easy, effective, and cleaner.

Reactions: NigelStap

·
Registered
MCS manual 6spd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As above, or you could replace the whole fan unit so everything is new.
the resistors fail because of the horrible location installed by factory. At least if this $3 resistor fails again, it takes 30 seconds to replace unlike the large PIA undertaking to remove the entire front end for the oem.

Installed the .33ohm 100w resistor today and everything works perfectly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can some one help I have a 2005 mini with one connector to radiator fan. here available is a fan with 2 connectors. has anyone rewired the fan to cut out the relay small connector on the fan, thus cutting out the relay on the fan and the one in the fuse box can control the fan?
Christo said:
The small connector powers the relay that closes the connection to the high speed leg of the fan circuit.
This relay is moved to the under-hood fuse box location in later cars with the single connector to the fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts