MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by no means an expert on this so hence the Q

does alloy size affect mpg?

reason i ask is i have 16 inch star alloys and i seem to get much less to the gallon over my mums mini with 15 inch wheels.

i put it down to how i drive at first but even when i drive hers i get better mpg so that theory went out the window.

another reason i ask is because i want some new alloys and i can decide what size to go for, i want the looks but also want the handling and mpg.

while im making a thread i,ll also ask if anyone has a red mini with black alloys as i think thats what i want but would like to see a pic first.

thanks in advance.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
The smaller alloys do get better mpg - they weigh less and because the tyres are thinner, the contact patch with the road is smaller. This means less friction, so less horsepowers are needed to turn the wheel. However, under cornering/harsh acceleration they loose traction. It depends how you drive.

However, for economy, 15s are generally better.

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
by no means an expert on this so hence the Q

another reason i ask is because i want some new alloys and i can decide what size to go for, i want the looks but also want the handling and mpg.

while im making a thread i,ll also ask if anyone has a red mini with black alloys as i think thats what i want but would like to see a pic first.
black 17" team dynamics 1.2s, light weight and look good. im not keen on anything less than 17s on a min as 17s and 18s fill the arch well.

i have 17s and soon to be 18s im not sure i will see much of a difference in mpg.

good luck with whatever decision you make!

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right thanks, um i drive them both like i stole them (well sometimes) and never noticed the lesser grip but that might just be me. i always thought the smaller the wheel the better the handling???

my mums seems to sit lower than mine too which i like, (its not lowered i just think its down to wheel size again)

in the past with cars it was always the bigger the better in my mind but for once im actually thinking of going down a size.

need to have a think really as ive seen a wheel and tyre package on egay 15" black ones, but ive also got my eye on some 17" s spokes too.

just seen a pic on here with a red MINI with black alloys...OPINIONS????

edit: that pic in post above looks more like the ones ive seen than the one ive posted. thanks

oh and if i went 17 or 18 would i need to do anything with the suspension i wouldnt want it to look like its on stilts.

wheels in question, not 100%ive some searching to do before i decide completely.

wheels here ebay

·
453 Posts
17s and lower it.

the wheel size has only a small bearing on your mpg, and if you drive it like you stole it (is there any other way) then the mpg is not going to be great anyway.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
S spokes are the heaviest OEM wheel - a set weighs 7.5 stone! Sorry about the imperialness, but its how I work - strange for someone of my age but hey! I think for the larger wheels (not sure whether 17s qualify, or whether it is only 18s) you need to put some form of block in to limit the steering lock (from MINI accessories brochure) so that the wheel doesn't hit the wheel arch. This means you would have a larger turning circle.

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah but i do like the look of them, i'll have to find out if that does apply to 17's before i go ahead, dont think im going 18's thats just too big for my taste.

im either going down to 15's or up to 17's anything to get rid of the star alloys i have i cant live with them.:eek4wd:

edit ::: your too quick lol, 17's ok right thanks.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Down - I have 15s, and if you ever hit a kerb, the sidewall is of a substantial size, so you don't always kerb the wheels!

·
453 Posts
lol no prob mate, my preference would be black team dynamics 17s, it a popular wheel for a reason :D

15s just dont fill the arches enough for my taste, the only time they look ok is when the car is slammed. just my opinion

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Yeah, but when I'm in towns, I often touch kerbs when parking, and when HGVs/buses come at me, I like to get right out of the way so sometimes a kerb takes a knock!

·
453 Posts
so you have 17s and dip the mirror when parallel parking and dont drive up curbs because an hgv is coming at you.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
so you have 17s and dip the mirror when parallel parking and dont drive up curbs because an hgv is coming at you.
Well, yes. I've already dipped the mirror, but I have quite bad astigmatism so sometimes things like that don't always work - black tyres and kerbs pose a bit of a problem - DVLA don't seem to care though! I'm in a MINI and a 40ton HGV is coming at me! I move! I don't drive up them, but I sometimes rub against them!

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well im looking at these 2 sets at the min.

i am open to suggestions as i dont know where to look so ebay is the obvious choice for me.

17's with tyres here

and

16's matt black with tyres here

or i have the chance to bid on some cheap s spokes.

suggestions always welcomed although non with huge price tags im not a rich man lol.

oh and if anyone can be assed and has photoshop skills ;)

just looked at your profile yours looks bang on near mine inc the shark fins so i know what mine would look like with the s spokes, i do like that look.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
wtf is with dipping a mirror for parking? I asume you can't judge distances or somesuch?
I can't judge them very well - it comes with my eyes I'm afraid. Little proliferal vision and severe astigmatism. Still, its within the confines of DVLA regulations.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
well im looking at these 2 sets at the min.

i am open to suggestions as i dont know where to look so ebay is the obvious choice for me.

17's with tyres here

and

16's matt black with tyres here

or i have the chance to bid on some cheap s spokes.

suggestions always welcomed although non with huge price tags im not a rich man lol.

oh and if anyone can be assed and has photoshop skills ;)

just looked at your profile yours looks bang on near mine inc the shark fins so i know what mine would look like with the s spokes, i do like that look.

To be honest, out of the two, I'd go with the 17s - they look better, however there are too many holes! Have you decided not to go with 15s then?

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no im still undecided on size , just browsing about to get myself an idea of styles i like, think im deff going black though (sure there's a saying to go with that lol)

unless i go with the mini s spokes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts