MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the articles I have read in magazines, on this (wonderful) site and in BMW MINI literature, I do not recall reading anywhere that locking alloy wheel nuts/bolts are supplied as standard. Alloy wheel theft is said to be on the increase in the UK, so good quality locking nuts/bolts are essential. IF they are NOT supplied, then an article in this week's Auto Express (issue 685) should be consulted by 'ally owners'. Ten sets of lockers were tested, and one of the worst at resisting the attack of a security expert, was Halfords own brand, which cost only £8 less than the 'Best Buy', McGard ultra high security at £29.99 for a set of 4. Not much to pay for possibly the best alloy wheel security available. No, I have no cnnection with the company, but will buy their product if necessary.

A Happy & MINIful New Year to all.

Geoff Poad

·
Registered
44 Posts
GeoffP

I have the 17" wheels and was like you concerned. I asked my dealer to add BMW locking nuts and paid just under 20 pounds for them. They were on as requested when I picked the car up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GeoffP said:
In all the articles I have read in magazines, on this (wonderful) site and in BMW MINI literature, I do not recall reading anywhere that locking alloy wheel nuts/bolts are supplied as standard. Alloy wheel theft is said to be on the increase in the UK, so good quality locking nuts/bolts are essential. IF they are NOT supplied, then an article in this week's Auto Express (issue 685) should be consulted by 'ally owners'. Ten sets of lockers were tested, and one of the worst at resisting the attack of a security expert, was Halfords own brand, which cost only £8 less than the 'Best Buy', McGard ultra high security at £29.99 for a set of 4. Not much to pay for possibly the best alloy wheel security available. No, I have no cnnection with the company, but will buy their product if necessary.

A Happy & MINIful New Year to all.

Geoff Poad
On alloy wheels for the MINI, BMW locking wheel bolts are used. In fact on visible bolt design wheels (i.e. those without a centre cap), the plastic locking wheel finisher cap has a BMW logo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pleased to here that BMW provide locking wheel nuts, but what is the quality? Some well known names in the Auto Express test did not perform well. Who makes BMW lockers?

Off to bed after seeing in The New Year!

Best wishes to all.

Geoff Poad.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anyone know where to get those McGard locking nuts? Are they avaliable in places like Halfords or only posher places? :p

I've paid enough for the 17" wheels - I'd like to keep them:D :D :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MrCooper said:
Anyone know where to get those McGard locking nuts? Are they avaliable in places like Halfords or only posher places? :p

I've paid enough for the 17" wheels - I'd like to keep them:D :D :D
Contact the manufacturer on 01494 817080 for retailers in the UK or visit www.mcgard.com for other markets.

Geoff Poad

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
On the UK spec Coopers with 15" 8-spoke wheels (In Brisbane)(the ones with the holes) one of the studs has a different size recessed head. Not sure if this is the locking one that insiderMINI refers, or simply means the the thief will need to change sockets whilst he removes them. Certainly no sign of anything with a BMW logo on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts