MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Andrew ATC
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time I am about to own a second set of wheels.
As a novice to this, I have no idea how best to store the wheels that are not on my car :confused:
Do I leave the tyres at normal pressure, or deflate them at all?
Then what is the best way to store them? The only thread I could find suggested hanging from hooks on a wall.
Is storing them on the floor a non-starter? I have seen dealers lie them on their side, and pile them four deep?

Sorry for so many questions, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

·
Registered
754 Posts
Depends how often you are going to swap the wheels about really? How long are they going to be stored for? Are you going to be swapping them yourself?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Mine are currently sitting upright side by side in my garage fully inflated. They were my standard 15's.

I washed them and waxed them before putting them away then covered them up with a massive plastic sheet

·
Andrew ATC
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends how often you are going to swap the wheels about really? How long are they going to be stored for? Are you going to be swapping them yourself?
I was planning on 17s for March - November, and 16s for the most wintry months.
I am hoping to change them over myself.
Once I can change them, I may remove the 17s periodically to give them a thorough clean.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh ok did a similar thing myself.

Mine were fine in the garage, just resting up against each other with a bit of cardboard between each one, to protect the alloy. I wouldn't bother deflating them at all because that will give the rubber a greater chance to perish.

Not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs but I don't know how techy you are? But a couple of points. Make sure you use a trolley jack and axle stands if you are doing it yourself, as the jack supplied is pants, in fact it is dangerous, tends to slip. Also use a torque wrench on the wheel studs, as they can be a bit prone to stripping if your not careful, I speak from experience when a garage overtightened all mine using an airgun and stripped a least one on each hub. They had to replace all 4 hubs and wheel bearings. Settings are 120nm or 88.5 lb/ft for the studs.

·
Andrew ATC
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I have only had to change a wheel once in 21 years of motoring.
All information gratefully taken onboard.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oh ok did a similar thing myself.

Mine were fine in the garage, just resting up against each other with a bit of cardboard between each one, to protect the alloy. I wouldn't bother deflating them at all because that will give the rubber a greater chance to perish.

Not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs but I don't know how techy you are? But a couple of points. Make sure you use a trolley jack and axle stands if you are doing it yourself, as the jack supplied is pants, in fact it is dangerous, tends to slip. Also use a torque wrench on the wheel studs, as they can be a bit prone to stripping if your not careful, I speak from experience when a garage overtightened all mine using an airgun and stripped a least one on each hub. They had to replace all 4 hubs and wheel bearings. Settings are 120nm or 88.5 lb/ft for the studs.

Hi Vitesse,

I'm thinking of fitting/replacing the wheels to my r56 dooper myself.

Can you recommend a good torque wrench to use? Heard something about bolt lubricants etc.. will just a torque wrench adjusted to correct setting do?

many thanks!

·
Registered
754 Posts
On Amazon at the moment is a Draper 30357 at half price. Draper are pretty good and reasonably priced. Obviously you will need a socket to go on it as well, think Mini has 17mm but can't remember for sure.

Your right on the lubricant, you need a small tube of cooper grease, Halford or any car spares shop sell it. You just put a small amount on the threads of each wheels stud to prevent them seizing up and a small amount on the rear faces of the wheel, where they face up with the wheels hubs once the studs are tightened.

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
storing tyres

FYI, I live in Finland, where we need to run winter tyres from November to March, so we need to swap wheels twice a year - a regular chore, but a lot easier with the service at the "tyre hotel". these guys swap the wheels and store the unused tyres lying down in stacks of 4 on wooden pallets, but without any plastic bags, in a temperature controlled warehouse, no sunlight; they get cleaned and rebalanced too. Everybody here stores tyres fully inflated and lying down, and only use the big plastic bags to prevent the mud and dust getting everywhere.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Tyres should be stored in the dark if possible and out of sunlight as stated, also they are now date coded on the sidewalls and should be thrown away after 10 years old, no matter how good the tread. This was due to some dangerous blow outs happening on little used vehicles like caravans and classic cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts