MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondering whether my Mini engine is running as it should. In gear six at a constant speed of about 110 kph my rpm is almost 3,000. I notice that my other car which is a VW GTi automatic only runs at about 2,500 rpm when doing 110 kph in top gear. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Thats about the same as my Feb 04 MCS. 110km/h = 68 mph Normally just under 3k rpm at 70mph... :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Sounds something like right to me... i recon mine does just around 70-75mph at 3k

·
Registered
619 Posts
its normal, Imo 6th gear should be alot longer.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I dunno ... I mean my car in 6th will ooutdrag most stuff thats also in top gear and yet still retains a possible close to 30mpg on cruise at 3k.

3k in the S even with GTT manifold and milly exhaust is not noisy or anything, its quite comfortable and to rev over 3k your breaking the legal speed limit...plus if you are on a track the higher the revs the better for keeping it in the cam power band ;) :D

·
a.k.a. BrainRush
160 Posts
maybe it's because I've got the pre-fact-lift gbox, or maybe it's becasue I've got the 17" R90's, but my car is slower in top gear at 55-70 than a non turbo rx-7 FC. cars not knows for their torque-iness

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
mmmm maybe ... mine is the early 02 plated MCS ... could be the difference in ratios. Mine is very very good on the cruise in 6th and I find the gear long enough for that, but also short enough for torquey pulling.

·
a.k.a. BrainRush
160 Posts
yeah, usually a highway lane change involves a downshift, not that I mind shifting that getrag

·
0.1mpg (Miles per Grin)
281 Posts
The reading is about the same as my 52 MCS; but different makes and models will spin at a different speed - my D3 automatic turns over at about 1,500 rpm in 6th at 110 km/h.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts