MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a 2003 r53 and it’s got a serious issue with changing gears. At low rpm, (below 2500) it will shift fine, but when you wind up the revs it will almost refuse to go into any gear. And it will straight up not down shift into first unless the car is basically stationary. The car pulls away from a stop fine and I can’t feel the clutch slipping, it’s almost like it just won’t disengage properly. I have bled the clutch system and the clutch only has a few thousand miles on it. Single mass conversion btw. Car has 110k miles. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Lube up the gear mechanism on top of the gearbox, it’s a common thing to have to do. May not be the issue, but it’s easy to rule out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it's happening in all gears it may rule out an internal gearbox problem, eg jamming synchro ring.
Did the issue start after the DMF conversion?
Also, one of points of a DMF is to absorb torsional vibration and prolong the life of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's happening in all gears it may rule out an internal gearbox problem, eg jamming synchro ring.
Did the issue start after the DMF conversion?
Also, one of points of a DMF is to absorb torsional vibration and prolong the life of the drivetrain.
I’m pretty sure it started after the clutch/flywheel was changed yeah.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As it started with a change of clutch that means the gearbox or linkage is not likely to be the culprit. Sounds like the wrong clutch has been fitted.

·
Registered
901 Posts
As it started with a change of clutch that means the gearbox or linkage is not likely to be the culprit. Sounds like the wrong clutch has been fitted.
Despite the fact the gearbox has to be removed to fit the clutch and the linkage removed?

Think again on that advice, always start with the potential solutions that cost little and are easy to do. Pulling the gearbox out to check or change the clutch again would certainly not be quick or easy. Check and lube that mechanism and cables, if that’s not made a difference then check further and deeper, never rule anything out.

Dear oh dear, some advice given here is ridiculous. Having worked on cars for years I’ve learnt a few lessons the hard way. I always check the obvious and easiest first, it’s not always the right solution, but it often can be.

·
Registered
2003 R53 Liquid Yellow
57 Posts
If the clutch was dragging you would get a crunch from the gears when trying to select reverse at standstill. There is no syncromesh on reverse so this will show a dragging clutch issue.

Gerry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the clutch was dragging you would get a crunch from the gears when trying to select reverse at standstill. There is no syncromesh on reverse so this will show a dragging clutch issue.

Gerry
I haven’t experienced that’s yet, the clutch seems to work fine at low revs. But when you’re any higher than about 3-4K it seems to not exist, I have to rev match perfectly to downshift otherwise it just won’t go in gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently picked up a 2003 r53 and it’s got a serious issue with changing gears. At low rpm, (below 2500) it will shift fine, but when you wind up the revs it will almost refuse to go into any gear. And it will straight up not down shift into first unless the car is basically stationary. The car pulls away from a stop fine and I can’t feel the clutch slipping, it’s almost like it just won’t disengage properly. I have bled the clutch system and the clutch only has a few thousand miles on it. Single mass conversion btw. Car has 110k miles. Any help would be appreciated.
I just spoke with my mechanic and as with mine (I have 2005 Mini conv) and I couldn’t believe that the factory says that the oil in the gear box is a lifetime oil, so even though I didn’t have any problems shifting, my mechanic suggested that at a 120,000 miles? It’s enough, so I changed that. If this doesn’t help you? He says that since you changed the clutch, it has to be your gear box.🥵

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe they installed the clutch disc backwards?
This is what I thought, changed the gearbox oil yesterday and no difference. Would a clutch installed the wrong way still work just enough to shift at low rpm, but not higher?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts