MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 1,050 miles on my '05 MCS, and there is an Autocross event coming up this week, which I really want to run in. Do you think Mini built in a "fudge factor" into that figure? I can't see putting 200 miles on the vehicle in a week just so I can autocross. What do the fine folks at Mini2 think?

·
NON STOP
210 Posts
Go for it. You're under warantee. You must have only had the MINI a short time...I had over 600 miles my first two days. Get out there and motor a little if you want to have your break in mileage over and done with.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GLJones said:
I am at 17 days and 950 miles. I can't wait to wind her up!

Jerry
Orlando
Jerry, do you autocross? There is an event in Deland this weekend and an event with the Martin Sports Car Club Nov. 7 in Tavares. Come on out!

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Ooo, fun times to come then? :D

Do the autocross for sure. My car got about 700kms of run-in - now about 8500 on the clock and she's purring like a kitten ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hammer said:
Jerry, do you autocross? There is an event in Deland this weekend and an event with the Martin Sports Car Club Nov. 7 in Tavares. Come on out!
How do you find out about these? I frequest SunshineMinis and MinisofOrlando but haven't seen anything.

I have never autocrossed before so it would be a new experience. Can't make it this weekend as I have my Glider Biennial Flight Review but maybe next time.

Jerry

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vagt6 said:
Here's what the owner's manual says about the "break in" period:

"Absolutely avoid full throttle or kickdown position for the accelerator."

Not much wiggle room on that one, sadly.
My question is, how solid is that 1,250 figure. . . .

·
Registered
700 Posts
As solid as the rock of Gibraltar.

The 1250 mile break in period is written in stone by the MINI Gods in the Owner's Manual. MINI Gods reside at BMW headquarters in Stuttgart in a big, fluffy cloud.

The MINI Gods are not to be ignored, your warranty may be sacrificed at the MINI altar if you do . . .

·
Registered
254 Posts
vagt6 said:
Here's what the owner's manual says about the "break in" period:

"Absolutely avoid full throttle or kickdown position for the accelerator."

Not much wiggle room on that one, sadly.
Yeah that is what i did with my MC, and at 12,000 miles it needed a new engine and gearbox, with my S i have run it in to 800 miles and now i am enjoying the car, driving how hard i like when i like, so i say go and have some fun and stop worrying about your car so much, and just enjoy it, i can't believe how much some people worry about there Mini's on here!

·
Registered
700 Posts
"Worry" may not be the operative word here, although I catch your drift.

When stuff is posted by the manufacturer, we have to assume that the design engineers discovered what is best for the car/engine by means of exhaustive testing and research. Clearly, there's no one who has more in-depth, expert knowledge about how to treat a MINI than the MINI factory engineers.

Lots of the data and rules they tell us were gained from racing and tens of thousands of miles of testing under varied conditions.

However, you may be right, dogging the engine after only 800 miles, or 1,240 miles instead of 1,250 may not hurt anything at all, but if we can't trust the manufacturer's recommendations, who the hell can we trust?

You have to consider what you may gain by ignoring the Manual, and what you may lose by not waiting just a tiny bit longer. I'll take the Owner's Manual any day. At least that way, MY warranty will be good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts