MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Alpine iPod interface has arrived at my local ICE dealer.
Trouble is, nobody in the dealership had a clue how to demo it!

Obviously the main advantage of the Alpine interface is that you can control all functionality through the HU.
But is this as easy as it sounds? From the Alpine website it looks like you have to press weird combinations of buttons to select artists and tracks (in other words, it's not as easy as selecting your songs using the iPod itself).

If this is the case, then surely a dash-mounted Denison IceLink is still the best iPod solution.

So ... has anyone out there actually invested in the Alpine iPod interface?
Could you post a quick review, detailing its ease of use (or otherwise).
Has it 'revolutionised' your in-car iPod use?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Had a chance to play with this at the Paris Motorshow as Alpine had quite an extensive stand there - helpfully there iPod link display was attached to the same headunit I've got - 9835R.

you're right - it's not intuitive without having a read of the instructions - but I felt that once you'd got used to which buttons did what it'd be fairly easy to remember.

Only slight diownside I could see was that the scroll speed didn't appear to be variable like it is when using the iPod itself (read this somewhere else so tried it myself) - not too inconvenient if you just limit yourself to a few key playlists but as I'm knocking on the door of a full 40Gb and don't know what I'll fancy each time I get in the car could take some time..

Have to give my installer a call tomorrow to see if he's got mine in yet.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giving the Alpine the thumbs down.

I've decided to pass up on the Alpine iPod interface.

Part of the joy of the iPod itself, is it's smooth, intuitive functionality (click wheel rules).
Controlling songs direct from the Alpine HU is lumbering by comparison (and yet they're touting this as their biggest selling point).

OK, so the Alpine interface also charges your iPod ... but so does the IceLink.

To me, the perfect iPod solution (for now) is still the IceLink, mounted in a place that allows you easy access to scrolling & selcting tunes direct from the iPod, without taking your eyes too far off the road (mikeythemini posted pics of great position next to the rev counter).

I really can't see any advantage in the Alpine combo.
I'm sure, as some people start to install it, that there will be much conjecture.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Just fitted an Alpine one
Love the way it displays the tracks scrolling on the alpine stereo (turns off that in the ipod)
track up/down much the same as icelink
But could not get my head round other controls for playlists etc - & no cradle

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine's scheduled for install on thurs - I'll give you guys a review after that.

Speaking to my installer he's done a couple so far but they've all been with the big screens - and everyone so far has been well chuffed, with me it'll be the first one he's done with a more std sized HU display - I've got the Alpine 9835R which I chose because of it's hi-res display which hopefully will work well with the iPod listings - watch this space.

Not too worried about there not being a cradle, got a spare dock and the plan is for it to sit in the glove box... or I wonder if it'll fit neatly (and discreetly) into that cubby hole by the steering wheel..hmmmm....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts