MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just got my alpine kca 420i ipod interface were on earth can i install the box that u attach the cables 2
im thinking of leaving the ipod out of site eg in glove box
any pics
anyone done an install with this yet
cheers

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
boothy said:
hi just got my alpine kca 420i ipod interface were on earth can i install the box that u attach the cables 2
im thinking of leaving the ipod out of site eg in glove box
any pics
anyone done an install with this yet
cheers
I am saving up for mine so I cant give a definitive answer but this is what I will do....

1) http://www.newministuff.com/dash_end.jpg <-- take the dash end of as seen in this picture from newministuff. This is where I will place my box, If you are putting it in the glove then I would use the passenger side.

2) Run the cables to the headunit and where you want your ipod...

3) connect and have fun.

As I said not definitive, as there are instructions on the site of how to remove various trim pieces / route cables.

I bought a protective case for my ipod from xtrememac which has a nice little dash mount system, which I will be able to mount the ipod with quite easily. http://www.xtrememac.com/ipodgear/xtremity.shtml It means it isnt rolling about the place and also has a belt clip if you fancy that ! I found on the first day of ownership that they scratch quite easily !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiring for the KCA-420i?

How did you wire the KCA-420i to the head unit? From the pictures I've seen of the radio head unit, there doesn't appear to be an AI-Net connector on back of the head unit. Is there a special connector you need to order with the Alpine unit to interface it to the mini's radio?

·
I'm not an addict.
146 Posts
Hey guys,

I think the best place to install the KCA-420i is in the glovebox (providing you have a Glove Box Organizer). It doesn't seem to be able to fit under the steering wheel since it's too tight when the plastic part snaps back in ? The Glove box also has direct access to the rear of the head unit for the KCA-420i -> head unit connection.

Hopefully I'll be able to post my pictures/instructions tonight (I've been saying that for two weeks now, yikes!) :). I'm still driving around town without any head unit, but at least the KCA-420i is sitting in the glove box patiently.

--
paco

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a shame Alpine have made the box so big, it's a bit of a challenge ! I seem to have found a good place for it, mounted on the rail that supports the pull-down panel under the steering wheel, next to the OBD socket - just be careful to make sure it doesn't foul the steering column. Here's a piccy

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.