MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and NickB have recently bought the Alta Induction Kit for our Cooper S's.

Now there is one hell of a whine noise from the supercharger at mid to high revs but i was disappointed that there wasnt the ROOAAR like you get with K&N

I am contemplating buying a K&N cone filter to stick on -

1) will it fit with the Alta hose
2) will it produce that deep ROOAAR
3) if not is there any other filter that can

Advice needed

Thank you please
:D

·
Registered
511 Posts
I love it the way I can make my 'S' screeeeam!! ;) :D

The Alta is a very tasty bit of kit. Enjoy the increased whine, throttle response and power before deciding to 'jump the boat' to K&N or whatever. You have just shelled out quite alot of your hard-earned. Just a thought :)

Henry

·
4,955 Posts
www.Lohen.co.uk - my experience

I have spent most of today with the people at Lohen (www.Lohen.co.uk) in relation to getting my S to ROAAR :eek: more than WHIIIIINE :eek:

They removed Nicks handy work - the Alta Kit (sorry Nick ;) ) and tried a Pipercross Cone filter.

We then hit the country roads to see the response - It didnt really make any more ROAAR or WHIIIIINE than the standard S to be honest.

We then fitted a Pipercross Viper Induction kit (carbon fibre) which really is meant for the one and the cooper and road tested this.

This got rid of the WHIIIIINE completely and gave a little growl at higher revs (i wouldnt say ROAAR :( )

I have to make this clear that the Pipercross Viper was not fully sealed and was only tested for experimental purposes only

Lohen are in the process of designing and supplying the Viper kit of the S so watch this space!!

Highlight of the evening was going for a blast in the 200bhp+ EB Cooper S which is slammed and goes like stink!!

This had a carbon fibre Grouppe M induction with a K&N costing £750 (i think) - it sounds ok but you still get the whine - the Miltek exhaust sounds soooooo sweet - next on my list :D

They are a good group of guys (thanks again) who tested a range of ideas on my car induction wise.

If anyone is contemplating any mini mod please do give them a call and check out their website www.lohen.co.uk

If you are a Mini2 member for the small sum of £10 you will get a range of discounts with Lohen.

Thanks again guys

Michael
(scooby)

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
scooby summut to note u will never get an S to roar like a one/coop with an airfilter on if thats wot u was aiming for?!?!:confused: if not ignore me:p

glad u had a good experience with them tho:)

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Increased Whine is a characteristic of any tuned S - I can't understand what makes you think its going to roar not whine....

·
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers redun - this is something after todays testing Lohen will be looking into

I dont think its impossible and neither they

they will be in discussions with pipercross

·
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is but i and probably others would like to hear more of a roar if possible

if not il have the whine sir ;)

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
scooby212 said:
it is but i and probably others would like to hear more of a roar if possible

if not il have the whine sir ;)
well......if u take your supercharger off it'll roar but then it wont be going very fast:p

·
Clio 197 R27
2,235 Posts
I like my whine :D. Its a shame in a way that you dont get the roar... but the whine makes up for it i think :D With the Alta on it makes it sounds like the super charger is on drugs!! thats the only way I can describe it

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
RedUn said:
well......if u take your supercharger off it'll roar but then it wont be going very fast:p
Exactly.
I was ignoring this even though it was making me nuts.

The roar or whine are a direct result of induction noise. Reversion pulses returning through the induction path make the sound. An MCS will not roar.

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
obehave said:
Exactly.

The roar or whine are a direct result of induction noise. Reversion pulses returning through the induction path make the sound. An MCS will not roar.
hehe ;)

·
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
obehave said:
Exactly.

so how do you find your MCS since the Alta install??

·
Registered
146 Posts
anyone here got the K&N kit? any good other than the roar noise?

performance which one is better? K&N or alta?

·
Gloucester Flyer
12 Posts
K+n

I've just had the K+N fitted as well as 15% reduction pulley (special offer this month at 'Mini mania=£125+vat to change the pulley) The car is now a different beast. I haven't tried other induction kits, but you do get a nice throaty sucking noice from the K+N.
The next mod will be an exhast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Any car that has forced induction is gonna whine.

The only way to get a "roar" is to replace our supercharged I-4 with either the 4-cylinder boxer engine from the WRX or get a big 'ol V8 in there.

Our supercharged I-4's are always gonna whine more than they will roar - its just the nature of a forced air induced four cylinder, sorry.

The sound from the Alta CAI is amazing! Its soo awesome that when girls ride in my car, they go crazy after hearing the Alta CAI and procede to jump me upon returning to the home for a night of fun ;)

Thanks Alta!

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
tonjohn said:
Any car that has forced induction is gonna whine.

The only way to get a "roar" is to replace our supercharged I-4 with either the 4-cylinder boxer engine from the WRX or get a big 'ol V8 in there.

Our supercharged I-4's are always gonna whine more than they will roar - its just the nature of a forced air induced four cylinder, sorry.

The sound from the Alta CAI is amazing! Its soo awesome that when girls ride in my car, they go crazy after hearing the Alta CAI and procede to jump me upon returning to the home for a night of fun ;)

Thanks Alta!
For a second there I thought I was reading Letters to Penthouse ;) :D

·
enjoying it fully
60 Posts
Hi scoobs,

i noticed in your pic gallery a weird shaped intercooler inlet on ya bonnet, whats all that about? oh and i quite fancy the mesh grill youve got for my cooper s , is that just stuck over the stock grill , is it the bmw aero kit mesh grill?

nice car btw :cool:

:dark:

cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts