MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing an Alta 22mm adjustable sway bar in the next few months.

I know that a number of cars in Australia have these and I was wondering what method most people used to purchase them?

What I am curious to know is if they brought from ALTA or another supplier in the USA or from the supplier here.

I have done the maths and I can see that it is much cheaper to get it from the US supplier than it is to purchase from the dealer here from what I can see... this includes airfreight 7 day turn around...

If my assumptions are so, why have soo many people brought them from AMG?

Also how much have people paid for their swaybars?

I plan to fit it myself...

Todd

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
hey todd,

was at AMG last week and they quoted me a price of $524 for the Alta Sway bar..

that doesn't include fitment..

am interested to see what prices other people are getting because im planning on getting a sway bar one day too ;)

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
AMG Alta Prices

A bit off topic but they gave me prices for lots of Alta Gear..

15% Pulley - $382
Springs - $664
Gauge Pod - $ 385
Intake air diverter thing - $646
R90 Replica Wheels - approx $1900 - $2000

(none of the prices include fitment)

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

Why Alta? I think that is way overpriced for a swaybar. After all a swaybar is a metal rod, and it is not rocket science. For some other mods I can see the benefit for paying a premium for a well engineered and developed product. However, any adjustable 22mm bar is going to be pretty similar to another. Save the dollars for mods where the premium products really are better

There are other bars around that are pretty good quality and much less (In Australia). Why don't you try whiteline, or give Peak a ring.

Cheers

Robbo

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I was loking at Alta was that I have heard great things about them, they are standard looking and not in a ******* shade of white or yellow or blue... they look factory, they are proven.

Jack the car up, fit it dont worry about it...

I already have a quote for the Alta cheaper than that Ben, so I dont think I will use AMG.

I dont know alot about Whiteline, what sort of $$ will I be looking at for one of theirs? Who do Peak use?

Todd

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
I don't think the whiteline swaybars are coloured anymore?

Ask FLiPSiDE - he just bought a bunch of whiteline gear (springs, bars, strut braces)

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IML337 said:
I don't think the whiteline swaybars are coloured anymore?

Ask FLiPSiDE - he just bought a bunch of whiteline gear (springs, bars, strut braces)
I thought FLiPSiDE's car was all standard?

Todd

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just checking out www.whiteline.com.au what is the go with an uprated front sway bar?

Is this worth getting? Not many companies offering Mini bits offer a front sway bar...

Todd

·
Registered
624 Posts
bkwalker said:
A bit off topic but they gave me prices for lots of Alta Gear..

15% Pulley - $382
Springs - $664
Gauge Pod - $ 385
Intake air diverter thing - $646
R90 Replica Wheels - approx $1900 - $2000

(none of the prices include fitment)
humm, i bought a gauge pod from them before and it was $300..
now that i think they raised their price then???

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
erichui said:
humm, i bought a gauge pod from them before and it was $300..
now that i think they raised their price then???
I think they have raised prices... i dont have any hard proof though :eek:
but 382 for a piece of plastic seems a lot! doesn't even include the gauges..

I think they have raised the price of the pulley also.. i think someone told me a few months back they paid 350??? Amigo maybe??

·
Registered
775 Posts
Which shop r u guys ordering Alta stuff from?

Im thinking of getting stuff shipped to HK and bring them back with my luggage to escape tax and duty ;)

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
As for the Whiteline stuff, everything's good bar their springs - it's noisy (the fronts giving a scary "clunk" noise) and now my rear end scrubs whenever I go over some bumpy roads. However I have no complaints with their sway bars.

$500+ for a sway bar looks a bit rich for me...I mean a complete set of Whiteline springs and front + rear sway bar cost an extra $150 plus fitting of course. While I am at it, anyone wanna buy my Whiteline springs? :D

·
MCSJCW
1,667 Posts
Todd,

As you know I have a 22mm Alta swaybar, and i love it. I got it for about 500 including freight and my wonderful Stu fitted it for me, only took about 90 minutes.

I also know Eibach do a front & rear sway bar for the mini as well. I decided to go with the Alta as I knew a few people with it, but knew no-one with the Eibach one.

Also try Boo, i'm sure it could more than help you.

Cheers Karen

PS. All the instructions are in the box, if you have a hoist you could probably do it yourself.

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^UB^ said:
Which shop r u guys ordering Alta stuff from?

Im thinking of getting stuff shipped to HK and bring them back with my luggage to escape tax and duty ;)
Ross, ahem....

If its OK and you can work out it will cost all up and it is under $450... I'd be in;)

Todd

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bkwalker said:
On the topic of Eibach...

anyone know the Oz supplier??? prices?
Chris (mini2 username XMINIX) can get them for you.. just blast hima PM and he will sort you out on price etc...

Todd

1 - 20 of 47 Posts