MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure these subjects are old hat but i'm new to Mini's so please forgive me.

Been looking around at the alternative induction systems & I figure the performance gains between these will have minimal difference so I guess it's down to:

Easyness to fit
Price
Look

M7 = £150 with lid but utilises the original induction hose. K&N induction hose is about £50
Alta = £315 including the lid!
GTT = £200 & what looks like no induction hose or lid

Pro's & cons for each would be greatly appreciated as i'll probably invest my hard earned cash on pay day :)

Cheers

MAFFA

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm happy with my GTT CAI but the M7 price is good + you have a UK supplier now (i.e. Full On Motorsport) :wink:

I can't see there being a great difference.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I <3 my Alta box makes me warm inside

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much is the John Cooper Works airbox & where would I source one of those? Might take a look.

I quite fancy the M7 one. They do it in brushed stainless & black powder coat as well :) I like my bling as you can probably tell from what the engine of my old scooby looked like :biggrin:

MAFFA :tongue:

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I'm sure there are some on here who've tried more than one of those and can give some balanced opinions. I've got the GTT one myself (more info here if you've not found it already) THE GT TUNING PERFORMANCE PARTS DESIGN & PRICING POLICY

As for the closed / not closed debate - I've found the GTT CAI has left an imprint all round the rubber underlay on the underside of the bonnet so there's no doubt it's a snug fit in terms of air sneaking in.

Have you changed anything on your car yet MAFFA? Have you decided what you're going to go for?

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
My recommendation is JCW airbox with either GTT Hybrid filter (my set up) or ITG filter

Sealed airbox has been proven by others to be the best - remember keep the AIT as low as possible, drawing air from the engine bay with an open top filter set up is not advisable

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not done anything yet as this is all research at the moment :) Plus pay day isn't for just under a week :D LOL

I think i'll have to do a few bits on the sly as well as the misses will get the right ar$e after how much I ploughed into that Impreza & then the M5 :aargh: I think this is going to involve deliveries to the office & sneaky weekend fitting when she's asleep :biggrin:

I think what i'll do is gradually fit parts that I can such as Induction, Intercooler & exhaust. Then i'll just buy plugs, pulley etc... & then take a trip to 1320 for a map :)

I'm not in any rush as i've grown up a bit since the Impreza and I know how easy it is to kane the credit card :aargh: I'll do it all over a longer period rather than all at once :)

Mmm might contact the guys at Hayward & Scott as I got them to custom build all my old exhausts for the Impreza & they were the best quality you could get. Maybe they'll do something for the Mini??

I'll take a look at the JCW airbox but the M7 is looking favourite :)

MAFFA

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
if under warrenty i would edge towards jcw box,

if only for looking oem if you have any issues

my dealer was fine for tlc services with gtt box showing

·
Registered
544 Posts
My recommendation is JCW airbox with either GTT Hybrid filter (my set up) or ITG filter

Sealed airbox has been proven by others to be the best - remember keep the AIT as low as possible, drawing air from the engine bay with an open top filter set up is not advisable
If the seal between the CAI heat shield and bonnet liner are good you won't draw hot air from the engine bay ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do :)

Ordered a red Samco induction hose as well :) Getting them delivered to the office so the misses doesn't see them :tongue: I'm thinking i'm gonna need to fit these on the sly so she doesn't know LOL :biggrin:

MAFFA

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered the stainless one. How long till they're back in stock?

I'm not in any mad rush but i'll be back online later to see if it'll be ages or not. If it'll be weeks then I might just get the black one :)

Cheers

MAFFA

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any idea how long this takes to fit? Just so I know that I can do it when the misses is out LOL :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks

MAFFA

1 - 20 of 35 Posts