MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new driver. We'll im not even driving yet but I was wondering if the Mini was able to be switched into automatic mode or something. I'm a newbie so i know its sort of a silly question but I'm not used to a stick shift. I guess it will be good to learn how to use a stick car but is there an alternative?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
There is a CVT auto available for the Cooper (but not the S) - I think in N America this has a steptronic-type paddle shift you can engage as well as full auto

Have a go at using the Search function to find the relevant threads in the forum - Try any of the terms above... Good luck!

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
jodathmorr said:
I guess it will be good to learn how to use a stick car but is there an alternative?
Yeah, it's called a Buick!:D

Just kidding. The Steptronic CVT thing is one option, but you might be better off putting down a deposit on a MINI and finding a patient friend to teach you stick while you wait. I guess I'm just biased toward manual transmissions, but it's SO much more fun, and you feel much more in tune with what the car is doing when driving a stick shift. Nothing like rowing through the gears on twisty bit of country road. Good times. And it's really not nearly as hard as it first seems, you'll have it aced long before your MINI arrives...

-Ricardo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my dad drives a stick so he can teach me.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
jodathmorr said:
my dad drives a stick so he can teach me.
Here's a picture of a MINI Cooper with the Continuous Variable Transmission Option. It's just like a normal automatic box to use except you have the option to move the stick across into another gate and use the "steptronic" function, which means you can simply change up and down the gears (5 of them too!!!) as you would in a manual car but without having to worry about the gate or the clutch. Sort of a fake version of a SMG gearbox if you like. If you do a lot of city driving I would try it out when you can..... Modern auto's are not THAT far behind manual boxes. And i'm sure you can still have a LOT of fun in an AUTO MINI !!!

Don't be afraid to ask any questions you like, there are loads of people on here who can help you out with just about anything to do with the MINI.

cheers

:D

(PS. Ignore the Central Tacho. Only the "Lucky Country" gets those !!! )

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
You should just have your dad teach you. Stick is much more fun than automatic and you have much more control over the car especially in snow. Besides learning to drive stick is a right of passage, once you learn you never forget and you will be able to drive any car you ever have the opportunity to drive.

good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
And its not really that hard either - I was using one when I was 10 in my uncles farm yard Fiat!:p :p :p

But honsetly, after a few tries you'll get it pretty quick.

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
883 Posts
Having tried both manual ('stick') and Steptronic versions I can say that it all depends on personal preference. I suggest that you learn how to drive using manual transmission (stick shift) first then compare that method with the Steptronic automatic - the Steptronic takes a little getting used to but in its own way it is fun to drive with the bonus of being very relaxing in heavy traffic. Absolute performance available with the Steptronic may be slighly less, but it is sometimes easier to exploit what power is available.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Basil said:

It's just like a normal automatic box to use except you have the option to move the stick across into another gate and use the "steptronic" function, which means you can simply change up and down the gears (5 of them too!!!) as you would in a manual car but without having to worry about the gate or the clutch.
Hi!

Basil is not right, the CVT box steptronic function uses 6 gears.

Mini-Fan

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you do want CVT, it will set you back 1,250.00. That's the same as the Premium or Sport Packages.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Mini-Fan said:

Hi!

Mini-Fan
Excellent... A bonus one !!....thanks for putting me right on that one Mini-Fan.

cheers

:)

You guy's are all so pro-stick shifts. If the man wants an Auto let him at least try it out first !!........

:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can always practice shifting the manual without the clutch and pretend its steptronic. Your 0-60 time will be extremely hampered by this though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, I haven't driven either, but I plan on getting the CVT. I do know how to drive stick, but having never owned a manual, I'm pretty rusty at it, and don't feel very comfortable driving stick on the streets, especially if any type of incline is involved...

As others have said, it has a lot do with your driving style and conditions. I guess I would call myself a lazy driver, so in addition to not being too comfortable with stick, I prefer automatic just because constantly having to change gears in traffic and such wears on me real fast. Maybe if I were just getting the MINI as a weekend driver I would go for the stick, but I'm not, so CVT it will be ;)

PigLick

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Mini-Fan said:

Hi!

Mini-Fan
Hmmm......I've checked all my official documentation, and the CVT has 5 forward gears.

Did you mean one reverse as well ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Basil said:

Hmmm......I've checked all my official documentation, and the CVT has 5 forward gears.

Did you mean one reverse as well ?

Have not checked the official documentation yet, I have been too busy driving my Cooper :D :D :D
I mean 1 reverse and 6 forward gears in steptronic mode, I'm sure on this because my Cooper is a cvt Cooper and I don't think the gearbox of the british Cooper is different to the german one.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
There is definatley 6 the british brochures has a printing error!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
jcuthell said:
There is definatley 6 the british brochures has a printing error!
Interestingly my original letter from BMW Australia says six, but the official documentation says five!!.

Well I think it's safe to take the word of someone who has one. Six speed it is. Would be fun as well i'm sure.

thanks for the input.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts