MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have been on here before but not for about 2 years.

I experienced a problem with my Mini onthe way home tonight. Its a 2004 Mini Cooper 1.6.

All was fine until the battery light came on, at the same time I noticed that I had lost the power steering.

I drive home, another 3 miles very carefully.

I have put a voltmeter across the battery with the engine off, it reads about 11.5 volts. With the engine running and with lights on etc it still reads 11.5 volts. The starter is now rather tardy and on a couple of occassions the solenoid on the starter kicked in and out without the starter trurning over.

I assume that the alternator is US or is there something else going on here. Cheers chaps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dug a bit deeper with it today.

The alternator was producing 8 volts at the positive terminal so its fubbarded.

The owners book says that when the battery light comes on you may lose power steering so I am hpeful that this is just a knock on from the alternator.

I took the alternator off today. What a pig of a job. I now have a a mini that wont go anywhere and a huge pile of parts including the inlet manifold:(

On the plus side I found a brilliant way of taking the pressure off of the belt tensioner which is a massive amount easier than sodding about with a rachet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts