MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating swapping my 2005 E90 BMW 3 Series 320D SE Auto for a new Cooper D Clubman manual.

BM is fairly well kitted out, would be looking to spec the Clubman to approx £22k to include full leather, Bluetooth, Nav etc. Preferred colour is Chilli Red with black roof & mirrors. Would also look to add the following at some stage:

• R105 Black JCW wheels
• JCW Alcantara steering wheel
• Cooper S Chrome Filler Cap
• JCW Roof Spoiler
• Viper Stripes (Mini Pirate)

Really like the Beemer but not prepared to pay the £30k or so I’d need if I opted for a decent specification 3 Series Coupe etc. Although I’ve test driven the Mini & find little to fault it I’m still in two minds about signing on the dotted line…

Has anyone else “down sized” on a similar basis? Any opinions or comments would be appreciated! :smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
am I insane

I did the same downsizing from a 3 series to a clubman diesel automatic .I have no regrets and consumption is excellent .Overtaking abilities are also very good.I also like the flexibility of the clubman. I still have access to a bmw as my wife will not change hers. When I part exchanged I got a price for partex on another bmw and then went staight to the mini section and they honoured the part exchange price>I think I got a better deal that way.:

·
GT CLUBMAN
3 Posts
I have just down sized from an Audi A4 saloon to a Clubman S, delivered last week !

I think it all depends on the millage you do, my work is only 10 miles from home and I do the odd 100 mile round trip every month, so I didn't need a big car.

I can tell you that driving an S is fantastic, I never had as much fun in my old car although I can't comment on the Dooper. The boot space however is really usable and with planning you can fit a lot in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I downsized from a saab 93 convertible to a clubman a few months ago. My advice would be go for it without hesitation. Excellent drive, excellent economy and surprisingly practical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
But if you have very young children forget it.You'll be hard pressed to get their stuff in it. Once saw a review of the Clubman and it's the one car review that I agree with wholeheartedly. The guy in it said, "Don't buy the Clubman if you need a small estate car, buy it if you were in the market for a Mini anyway and could do with a little more space than the standard one offers".

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hmm, I think there are a whole bunch of parents of small tykes on here who'll disagree with you Hairdresser, but to each his or her own in deciding.

Less is more - at least most of the time.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possibly but you'd have to ask them. I have two brats, and if you want to get them, their bags, their buggy(ies), and anything you own in it as well. It's a challenge to say the least.
If you unexpectedly decide to go shopping while you're out then ...............

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the useful & helpful responses. Should hopefully get an extended test drive shortly via my local dealership. Will make my mind up then..... :smile:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would say it depends on your driving requirements, town/motorway breakup.

My requirements changed from 90% motorway/ 10% City driving to 10% Motorway and 90% City (I moved into the city centre) .

To adapt to a more appropraite car I downsized from a 2004 Merc SL500 to a 2008 Mini CooperS Clubman. To spec it as closely to the merc as possible i ticked almost every option box including the rare Access Control (keyless system) and auto gearbox. Its nippy more nimble, has 2 more seats and swallows more luggage although the ride is harder than I would like. Just that long 6hour+ journeys take their toll abit and i don;t feel as refreshed as in the Merc.

However since 90% of my driving is in town i prefer it. For me their is nothing iw ould enjoy more and believe me I've tested tons of cars of all types before making my choice,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Johnnie - you must be pretty crazy to ask that question on a Mini forum - I'm new but seems everyone is a bit of a mini fanatic here so what answer did you expect!:wink:

I have been a bit of a german saloon dork in the past and am looking to downsize too. Have recently driven a new 3 series as a courtesy car for a few days too. Have to say that the 3 series remains a great drive and the 320d does seem to have enough poke but I do feel it's getting a bit bloated in both size and price these days. In addition, I also couldn't help feeling that had I paid the 30 grand asking price for the BM loaned to me, I would have felt a bit short changed. I know this sounds a bit vain or whatever, but I suspect most of us do like to feel good about the car we are driving - whether it's because it's a premium brand saloon, an exotic sports car, posh 4x4 or crazily fast road going rally car spin off. The 3 series just seems a bit bland and anonymous to me - you see plenty of them driving along the roads but you don't really notice them - and even the M Sport kitted ones don't seem to stand out very much.

Like everybody else here, I would say go for a Mini - I've just ordered my clubman. However, like some of the other guys here, I would strongly suggest you have a look at the Cooper S. We have an auto Cooper S (mainly the wife's car) and I was looking at a Cooper D clubman for myself. I tried out a manual Cooper D and was hoping that I could live with less power as long as the fuel economy was good - but at the end of the day, I felt that the Cooper S was so much better to drive that I couldn't bring myself to order the diesel . By the time you spec up a Cooper D to a decent standard, it doesn't fall too short of Cooper S money and given the high price of diesel these days, I figured I'd rather have the S (which isn't too bad on fuel consumption at all!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've not regretted buying a Cooper S Clubman, still have trouble getting my head round it does over 40 to the gallon.
I bought a dark silver 08 plate ex demo fully loaded with nav, hi fi, chilli pack, sunroof, web alloys etc with 4k on the clock for £16450.
There's a lot of good deals out there to be had.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Noodles,

That sounds like an amazing buy!

I am trading "down" from a 2007 BMW 325i cabrio. One of the reasons is that my kids think it is "show offy" and not cool. Whereas a MINI apparently is!

Will I regret it. A silky six cylinder engine, rear wheel drive, great build quality...........and yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I traded in my 06 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Sport Tourer which I loved (mainly becuse it was something a bit different) because I just couldn't cope with 24mpg and didn't really need such a big car in reality (although I kidded myself for ages that I did!!)

Have to say that i am loving my Clubman, it is one of the original Cooper S launch cars so you do see a few of them around in that spec (lightening blue, silver stripes, caps, roof, c pillars) and it came with chilli pack, PDC, multifunction steering wheel, colour line blue and brushed aluminum interior, chrome line inside and out, 17" 205 45 Pace wheels/tyres, sport suspension and a few other bits and bobs plus the remainder of the TLC.

Its an 07 57 with 6k miles and I paid £14,850 from a main dealer which I thought was a pretty good deal. I totted up the total price with all the options from the brochure and it came to about £20.5k to buy new.

Overall am absolutely loving it. Getting 38 - 39mpg regularly. The only quibble I have is a real minor one, why oh why are the indicatiors (turn signals) so loud? They are so loud it almost drowns out the radio!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hear you on that indicator point. I don't mind mine-it does what I bought it to do, but please do test drive first. The mini is fun to drive but I'm not sure I'd use the term nice to drive without a lot of caveats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hairdresser, I agree with the 'fun' to drive comment; I think I would describe the rest of the experience as "not particularly relaxing'. (although I didn't buy mine for a relaxing drive so it doesn't bother me)

The definition of 'nice' to drive is very subjective and really depends on what an individual's expectations are. Agree that prospective purchasers need to test drive first though, bumpy ride and torque steer/tramlining really arn't some drivers cup of tea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another "downsizer" here. E90 325i SE Touring. Nice enough bus to cover the miles in, but boring and too big to be fun on country lanes. The suspension is just vague, is okay for fast sweepers but no good for broken surfaces.

Straight Cooper Clubman on order with a few toys, won't miss the space of the E90 as we have a Merc MPV that is used for anything like that.

·
Mrs Beastie
364 Posts
The definition of 'nice' to drive is very subjective and really depends on what an individual's expectations are. Agree that prospective purchasers need to test drive first though, bumpy ride and torque steer/tramlining really arn't some drivers cup of tea.
We had an R53 S Works with works suspension and I can't get over how comfy and soft this Clubman S is with no torque steer or tramlining at all even on 18" runflats
- so as you can see its all in your expectations ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts