MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just picked up my new MCS and have got to grips with most of the things via the manual. The one thing that is eluding me is this ambient lighting. There is reference to it in the manual but nothing understandable. I have located the two mini-LEDs in the overhead panel (the switch changes the colours on the 2 small LEDs from orange to purple) but I've read that other parts of the interior should also light up (eg door panels, footwells) - is this still the case ? In which case, is there something I should be doing to switch this on ? So far all I have on the ambient lighting side are the two small LEDs above in the roof panel and some minor lighting behind the airbag signs.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
988 Posts
Don't know if this is much help, but on the courtesy One that I have, the door 'struts' have a light on the other side. I was a bit thrown back when I saw the lights on the airbag signs - don't think I've ever been in a car with up-lighters :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a bit hard to see during the day, but just wait til it gets dark and you'll quickly spot it. As far as I can remember, in addition to the two LEDs by the rear-view mirror, there's an LED cluster at the back of the door pulls/struts as OJM mentions, as well as one inside the door release on each side.

I leave mine set to blue, but I've noticed that it makes things a bit brighter than other colours (just down to the nature of the hue, i think) - the orange blends in a bit more with the dash lights, but for some reason I find it distracting.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can change the colours!? How!? lol. Haven't found that feature in the One, but I assume it's the switch by the rear view mirror that dbsmith mentioned...the one that didn't seem to do anything when I was messing with it :p

·
Registered
849 Posts
To change the colour just keep moving the switch,from memory towards screen ends up with blue, away from screen ends orange.
the lights are as stated above but the lighting is not that obvious, it really is just 'ambient' but amazes small children :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
is this just for gen 2 MINIs, i assume it is because me 2001 MINI only has 1 interior light on the roof and orange backlight on the dash, i feel left out now ;)

·
Noob
247 Posts
is this just for gen 2 MINIs, i assume it is because me 2001 MINI only has 1 interior light on the roof and orange backlight on the dash, i feel left out now ;)
And you should have a pair behind the latch where you open your door as well ... if that's any consolation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
And you should have a pair behind the latch where you open your door as well ... if that's any consolation.
And there is also a light over the door bins, but I find that some colours light it up more than others, red is basically invisible! There's a little arc just over the seatbelt upper mountings too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is that right? The only illumination I have on my 07 clubman are the two lights near the rear view mirror and the illumination of the B pillar airbag covers. Should there be more ambient lighting than that?

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Yes there should, you should get it in the gap behind the door handle, and behind the armrest on the door too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks. Hmmmm, I am absolutely certain that it doesn't (i do a lot of night driving). Are they LEDs or is the light distributed from a bulb somewhere via some sort of fibre optic cable?

I don't really want to make a trip to the dealer for something so trivial.......................

·
Registered
988 Posts
When I had the courtesy car One, I didn't actually notice the lights behind the grab rails, until I was playing around with the 'disco' setting - ie, changing them to blue / purple / red etc.

·
Totally Marvellous!
1,165 Posts
Thanks. Hmmmm, I am absolutely certain that it doesn't (i do a lot of night driving). Are they LEDs or is the light distributed from a bulb somewhere via some sort of fibre optic cable?

I don't really want to make a trip to the dealer for something so trivial.......................
Have you got anything in the door pockets? If you have, you tend not to be able to see the lighting below the armrest from experience.

Also, the shades between the two extremes of blue and orange never seem to be as bright...

·
Registered
49 Posts
The brightness of the mood lighting is in association with the dash lighting too. If you've got that on a dimmer setting they won't be as obvious.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
What he said, also I think they may be part of a package but not entirely sure!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am officially a complete muppet. :eek:

Becuase I had the colour set to that sort of violet colour and the dash illumination set to minimum its too dim to see that the door pulls and door pockets are illuminated. Switching it all the way round to the full blue or the other way to the full orange I can see the pulls and pockets illumination is actually working.

Anyhow at least that got that cleared up........

·
Registered
6 Posts
tbh i wish i could turn them off altogether - pita in my opinion!

didn't know i could dim them tho so that's a start - just need to find the dim switch now :puzzled:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts