MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the board and was wondering if anyone has pictures of amp/subwoofer installs in the Mini Cooper and advice as to what/where works and what doesn't. I would like to retain as much trunk (I call it a trunk, I'm from the US) space as possible. Also, I have a Cooper, not a Cooper S so I don't have a battery in the trunk area. Any help would be appreciated.

·
"Upside down face"
208 Posts
derrick said:
This system is recently installed by my local expertise, the result is abosutely wonderful.

derrick.
What are the 2 silver bolty type things on either side of the thing the amp is attached to?

(does that make sense - i'm not in the mood for thinking too much so i wrote what i thought!)

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
Here's a pic of mine. 10" Blau, 800w Mono-block MA Audio amp, custom box, and the badging removed form the back of my MCS put on the box. And no, the woofer surround does not hit the paneling on the car at maximum output. Comes damn close though ;)

Attachments

·
230whp an counting
3,056 Posts
Heres a pic of my install, which includes:

Kenwood PSW9521 headunit
DLS A5 3 channel amp
Focal K2 power components
JL W6 12" sub

Attachments

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
I had exactly the same dilemma as you, the trick is to find a subwoofer that's optimised for a very small enclosure, sealed boxes tend to be smaller than ported and bandpass. Do some research on subwoofer manufacturer's websites, the recommended box sizes are normally found there. I wanted my sub to be easily removable when I need the space, but smallish anyway so I can fit luggage alongside it. Since I very rarely have rear seat passengers I put amps in the rear footwells, great sound, posh amps, no space problems! :D

As you can see, the amps are visible from outside the car, but when the rear mats are on top of them it looks totally standard and very stealthy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. Is your amp sitting under plexiglass? I couldn't tell from the picture but it kind of looked that way. If so, how are you handling the cooling of the amps? I never thought of putting the amps down there. Also, has anyone used any 8" subs, and if so, how do you like them? I found that Polk Audio has an 8 inch sub that fits in a .38 cubic foot box, which would be optimal for the small amount of space available in the Mini, but I'm not sure if it will be enough bass for me. I don't need a thumping system, just something that will give good tight punch to kick drums and bass lines.

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
small to maybe mid sized amps can be placed under the seats by cutting the carpeting and removing a foam block - that's where the factory sat/nav cd / dvd drive resides. I've got my amps installed that way.

McIntosh amp driving front speakers - placed under passenger's seat

JLAudio Stealthbox (10" subwoofer) in boot

JLAudio 250/1 monoblock subwoofer amplifier - placed under driver's seat

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
ccoston said:
Is your amp sitting under plexiglass? I couldn't tell from the picture but it kind of looked that way. If so, how are you handling the cooling of the amps? I never thought of putting the amps down there. Also, has anyone used any 8" subs, and if so, how do you like them?
Yeah the amps are under perspex, but they run pretty cool because I got Genesis Dual Monos and they are never get pushed anywhere near their max. I could have got smaller amps and pushed them hard all the time but I like to have lots in reserve. Since the photos were taken I have put holes in the covers just in case but have never had any problems either way. As far as 8" subs go, I have never heard them but I have read that some people have been a bit disappointed with 6x9 subs, but I suspect that may be down to the enclosure (or lack of one). On the other hand when you look at good domestic speakers it proves that you can get good deep bass from quite small drivers as long as the cabinet is designed properly. I think really you'll have to listen to an 8 in action, after all, only you know what your ears like the sound of. One thing to bear in mind is a 10" will certainly perform and is only slightly bigger, I'm running a 12" sub in a small box and it doesn't take up all the boot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those of you that built a raised floor in the rear of the car to mount the amps under, what material did you use for the floor panel and what thickness? I would like to use a thin material but want to maintain rigidity. Also, what is "perspex" and how does it differ from plexiglass?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I have decided on and purchased the components of my system, and hope to install them this weekend.

(1) Dynamat Extreme bulk pack (will dynamat the whole interior of the Mini)
(1) Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.4 amp
(2) Polk Audio db6500 component sets
(1) Polk Audio MM2104 10" Momo sub

I'm going to mount the amp in a raised floor system like others have posted, I like that look and think it will keep the amp out of the way so I can still put groceries in the back. I am going to use a plexiglass window so the amp can be seen (it's too good looking to hide). I am going to build a small sub box like the ones shown that is removable to gain more storage space when needed. I was thinking of doing a fiberglass box but I am too lazy and fiberglass resin is too stinky to do that again in my garage, the smell didn't leave for a week. MDF it is!!! The trick to this whole install is doing it this weekend but not having my wife found out, as it is a Christmas present for her (bought the car for her 2 weeks ago).

·
Diesel Powered
290 Posts
That's going to be a nice system, and a heck of a nice Christmas present! Not sure if you've seen the website but the enclosure information for your sub is at http://www.polkaudio.com/car/toolbox/subboxplans/subbox_plan.php?id=57&mesurements=standard Apologies if you already know about it. Good luck with the install, there's always some of us online if you run into problems! By the way, I believe perspex is a trademarked name for the stuff you know as plexiglass. I always confuse my relations in Colorado when I use "English" terminology - sorry about that! It's easy for us to understand you though because I spend all my free time watching 'American Chopper' on Discovery Channel! :D

·
So close I can almost....
82 Posts
This is my more modest amateur enclosure but i couldn't go to town as it's a company car.

I'd probably not use faux suede next time as it freys at the edges when you cut it and makes things much more awkward. I'm really happy with the logo though. Just want to make the MINI text out of perspex and frost it along with a perspex cover to the sub to finish it off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts