MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I've had my MINI for about two weeks and I absolutely adore it. My story is a bit different from most of those I've read. My mother got a MINI S Convertible and everyone on her end has been absolutely raving about it.

So I drove to my local MINI dealer just to test drive one and absolutely fell in love with the one I drove. Big time. It's a cooper convertible with all of the "packages" (premium, sport, cold and convenience) installed. I could not walk away. I traded in my ford explorer and bought the MINI off the lot and have loved every second in it since.

However, I've been reading a lot about the "S" model and am feeling nervous about my big investment and the possibility that I should have held out for an "S." So here's what I'm looking for... some reassurance that the "S" doesn't drive THAT much differently than the basic coop.

C'mon... give a little love and make me feel even better about my decision. Please?

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,468 Posts
Cooper is great I had one for 2 1/2 years. Loved every moment in it.

One of the girls came on a Clubmini run in her cooper and was able to keep up with the Cooper S boys. God knows how but she did.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
i've had a cooper for 2 years & in that time i've been on plenty of mini runs & never had a problem keeping up with the S's. they're faster off the line but through the bendy stuff they're just the same. the convertibles are heavier than the tin top equivalents but from reports i've heard, the performance is just as good.

if its that big a deal to you, go for the S, you won't regret it but you'll love a cooper just as much

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just finished running in my Cooper convertible this weekend - hit the magic 1250 on the Cat and Fiddle Pass (Macclesfield to Buxton), roof down, foot down on the bypass back to Stockport. Plenty fast enough; blimey if I had an S I'd be banned by now.

·
94 Posts
I have an S and I lthink it's great, but my thinking is that if you are loving the car so much you should just let yourself enjoy it. Fun is fun.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I have a MCS and my other half has a Cooper Convertible, I love to drive both cars, both are a barrell of fun, a pleasure to drive, but end of the day if I was ordering a new car for me, it would have to be a MCSC for that extra bite;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm

Outstanding. You guys are great.

So it's just a "bite" difference between the Cooper Convertible and the Convertible S?

I can live without the extra bite.

Thx.

·
Powered by VPower
147 Posts
Ive got the Cooper Convertable and its brilliant to drive. . Will order a MCSC next year. Glad I didnt get the MCSC as my 1st mini. As it's my 1st mini, thought it was better to get the MCC, learn how to handle the car and then go for the extra power next year:) .
Im sure if I had an MCSC I would have had a few speeding tickets by now.

The Cooper has still got power especially at the higher rev range:D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
dnphillips said:
Outstanding. You guys are great.

So it's just a "bite" difference between the Cooper Convertible and the Convertible S?

I can live without the extra bite.

Thx.
enjoy what you have, its a great car, even in the winter the hood comes down as much as possible for us:D

then you can always go for a MCS next time;) Welcome to the MINI family:)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
oh one more thing, it would be nice to have a few pics of your car, we are always interested in seeing people and their MINI's:)

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
I would say test drive them both and then decide. I test drove an S (not a convertible), it is faster and pulls better at lower RPM's, but it didn't blow me away to the point that I had to have one. To be honest, for the roads I drive, good handling is far better than fast. I don't have any place nearby to autocross regularly and I try to stay responsible and reasonably close to the speed limits (most of the roads I drive are either 45 mph or 50 mph limit), so I feel the extra power would either be wasted or cause me to begin collecting speeding tickets like crazy! Also, I notice that often times when I do "open it up a bit", usually there are a couple of slower cars not far ahead and usually there is no good place to pass, so I end up having to go at their slow pace, anyways. And if I have to go at their pace, I may as well get 33mpg doing it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was the best reply i could have hoped for

Thanks... that's what I wanted to hear! Thing is... I already bought the regular coop convertible. I love it... but it's a lot of money for me... and it was a VERY impulsive buy. So while I wouldn't call what i'm feeling "buyer's remorse" (nothing like it), I do want to feel like I got a fabulous car... You know? And not like I'm the only one who didn't buy an "s."

At any rate, I'm loving every second of it. Gotta get over the shell shock.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
I took delivery on my std Coop conv and had an option on an 'S' conv. After a few days I cancelled my option on the 'S' - the coop had everything I needed and I wouldn't use the extra grunt in the sort of driving I do.

I made that decision 6 weeks ago, and still don't regret it.

But it's a personal thing......

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
I upgraded from an MC to an MCSC. I can tell you I went on pleanty of MINI runs and I kept up fine with the S's in my MC. But I drove and S once and fell in love. There is a difference in driving between the two, but if you are happy with you're MC, then that's what matters...after all you have a MINI, what more could one person ask for.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I know how your feeling - I brought a MINI One Convertible (don't think you have that option on your side of the pond) and although I would have loved to get the S, we don't have the roads over here to truely make use of the extra power so I don't feel I am missing out.

At the end of the day I adore my car and by saving the £3,000 on the list price I was able to kit it out how I wanted it (including the aero kit body - the first I have seen on a conv and alloys).

I guess it depends on what you want out of your Conv - is it to be seen, I guess thats the reason most buy one, in which case it is all about style and your's has that by the bucket load, or is it as a drivers in car, in which case you should have got a JCW S with a tin top!

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
As you have drivin your mother's S, there is something in the back of your mind asking if you have made the right decision? That is why you are asking...

I bought my first Cooper when the S wasn't around yet and that was a good car, but when you get in an S, that is the only one for you! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts