MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
MINI2 Regular
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this but mods, feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

Earlier tonight we had an anonymous phone call from some bloke saying that both our MINI's are going to be stolen to order tonight!! :eek: :eek: :mad: :confused:

he then just put the phone down! Common sense tells me that if somebody was planning to steal them then they wouldn't be letting us know about it in advance..But at the moment..common sense has gone out of the window. The house is locked up like fort knox and neither of us knows what to do for the best :(

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Oh dear :(

Silly question but did you do 1471?
Also might be worth telling Police, are your MINI's kept out at night or in a Garage?

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
I think if I was in the same situation I would be contacting the local Police to inform them of the telephone call :confused:

ba$trds cant leave anything alone anymore :mad: :mad:

·
MINI2 Regular
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1471 came up with witheld number.
We don't have a garage. Both cars are parked on the drive in full view for all to see :(
We contacted the police and they said they would keep an eye out on patrols but that it was most likely just a prank call.
There goes our good night's sleep. :( :mad:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Do you not have caller ID or *69 there (unless that's what the 1471 meant) which is a call back over here?
Also if you didn't hang up they could have traced the call if it was a land line. Would they do it? doubt it. :rolleyes:

Hope it's just a bad prank. Sad to say that isn't it?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Number can still be Traced, probably a unregistered Mobile. Have you any Alarm on your MINI's?
Also any steering wheel locks or anything that you could put on them.
Wonder how they got your number?
Are you X Directory if not how did they get your surname? :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is outrageous, things like that make me so mad :mad:

apart from staying up all night and having a baseball bat to hand i think i would be disabling the car in someway, im sure there must be soemthing that van be removed to stop the car being started

and i would cetainly be putting up those big metal posts (the ones that sink into the ground wen unlocked) at the end of the driveway

·
MINI2 Regular
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our number is X directory, I haven't a clue how they got hold of it. We have caller display and the LSD display just came up as "Call"

Both the MINI's are alarmed but the worrying fact is that there has been a spate of car thefts in the area involving house break ins for keys. Do we just ignore this and go to bed or do we sit up all night and be vigilant?

The police didn't seem to be that interested to delve further to investigate the witheld number :( But they did say that we were to report any suspicious incidents if any occured. :confused:

·
MINI2 Regular
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Burti

Burti said:
That is outrageous, things like that make me so mad :mad:

apart from staying up all night and having a baseball bat to hand i think i would be disabling the car in someway, im sure there must be soemthing that van be removed to stop the car being started

and i would cetainly be putting up those big metal posts (the ones that sink into the ground wen unlocked) at the end of the driveway

We've been thinking about putting those big metal posts in for quite a while now. Funny how we think things can wait until a situation like this occurs :rolleyes: We also have surveillance cameras( which we bought off ebay some months back) still sitting in a box under the stairs.

·
Poco Loco
137 Posts
Just to be safe remove the sparkplug wires. Very easy to remove and easy for you to replace the next morning.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Time to check out how comfortable the back seat is for an overnight sleep, with cattleprod in hand. :mad: BZZZZZT!

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
It's probably a wind up from some eejit that knows of you. It's easy to get someone's phone number by borrowing a legitmate mates mobile and looking up in the phone book.

Even if they withheld the phone number, BT still keeps logs of all calls made and so would any mobile phone company, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sort out the inter-company billing of the call. Just keep a note of the exact date and time of the call in case anything happens.

There are relatively few people who do have unregistered mobiles. Most people are greedy and accept the mobile companys offer of a few quids worth of call credit in exchange for registration. Plus there are other methods of checking unregistered pay as you go numbers - for example if the idiot tops up at Tesco, then they can check if any card payment was used.

At the end of the day you could do no worse than to hide all spare keys and buy a couple of diskloks for piece of mind.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
dietcokeplease said:
Even if they withheld the phone number, BT still keeps logs of all calls made and so would any mobile phone company, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sort out the inter-company billing of the call.
I recently had a batch of prank calls on my mobile from a withheld number.

I reported it to Orange and they said they cannot trace withheld numbers, and even if they could, unlike BT, they can't barr them from calling my number either :confused:

Peachiz hope you managed to get some sleep and that both MINI's are safe and sound.

Paul

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
minisoopercooper said:
I recently had a batch of prank calls on my mobile from a withheld number.

I reported it to Orange and they said they cannot trace withheld numbers, and even if they could, unlike BT, they can't barr them from calling my number either :confused:

Peachiz hope you managed to get some sleep and that both MINI's are safe and sound.

Paul
It was probably Soggy calling you. :eek: :D

Orange sound like every other phone company - can't be bothered if it involves some extra work for them. Funny how BT's malicious calls unit can trace withheld numbers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
dietcokeplease said:
It was probably Soggy calling you. :eek: :D

Orange sound like every other phone company - can't be bothered if it involves some extra work for them. Funny how BT's malicious calls unit can trace withheld numbers. :rolleyes:
Soggy :confused: Oh you mean Saggy ;)

The guy I spoke to was very good and even said he couldnt believe they couldnt when he did his training - but thats the way it is.

Funny how though as soon as I reported them they just stopped! :rolleyes:

Paul

·
Registered
542 Posts
That's scary, man. Hope everything turns out alright. If you really wanted to, you could remove the ECU too. That'd do it. :)

Is it just me or does this sort of thing happen a lot in the UK?! I don't mean specifically this, just lots of car theft and lots of overt crime. I see so many posts about things like this that I never heard of in the US, at least not where I live in the SF Bay Area. I know that when I lived in Amsterdam there was much more jealousy and rage than in California, people were a lot more aware of other people's belongings, etc. I'm not sure if it's because on average people don't have as nice of things (not saying that in a bad way, I just mean things like cars are generally more expensive in Europe), or something else, but it is a strange and disconcerting thing to me, seeing as how I am one day going to move back to Holland and I don't like that sort of atmosphere one bit.

I'd be curious to hear what some of you Brits have to say about this.

-mike

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Mike,

We have a great leader called El Presidente B-liar who seems to concentrate more on foreign issues than domestic affairs. :rolleyes: :p And we seem to have a swathe of liberals who think that jailing criminals is unfair and that criminals are in fact victims. Most of these liberals work in government fomulating policy and are Chief Constables. The Police would rather have an officer stop 100 drivers that are over the speed limit than harder to detect crimes such as theft. Then we have unaccountable senile judges who don't pass appropriate sentences.

Crime is normally fuelled in this country by drugs. Most crimes are committed by a select band of addicts who need cash to fund a ferocious intake of drugs. But every time they appear before a judge, they'll get bail to reoffend.

You only have to open any national newspaper to see what the UK public get outraged about, yet no politican has the balls to tackle it and impose appropriate sentences.

Oh and I blame the parents. :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts