MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that my mid Oct build S originally had blue/green coloured coolant which has now changed to a murky brownish colour with just over 3000 miles on the clock. I've had a read through the various threads on this subject and it appears to be a problem for some owners...does anybody have any more info on the causes - is this a serious issue for my Mini :confused:

·
Registered
384 Posts
We are on our 3rd coolant tank - our car was delivered 5/13. The problem didn't appear until about 3 months ago. Seems the seams on the tank are not sealed properly.:mad:

There were several people with the brown coolant problem that posted on Roadfly. You might do a search and see what you come up with. In any case, I would take it to the dealer, have them check out and TEST the coolant to see what is actually in the tank. I recall that is what several others have done:)

Hope this helps a bit.......

·
Dead Man's Curve? Feh.
1,176 Posts
I believe I made one of the original postings on this subject and was subsequently contacted by MINI USA. At their request I brought my MCS to the my dealer who drew a sample of the discolored coolant.

It's now been over 2 months since that event and neither I nor the dealer have heard anything. My understanding is that samples were taken from a number of MINIs and were to be sent to BMW (don't know if USA or Germany) for analysis.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses - Pamlico are you still running your S with the discoloured coolant then or did you get it looked at? It seems strange that so many owners are suffering from this problem..I took another look and think that I may be leaking at the seal too - I haven't noticed any change when drving and the temp gauge remains normal at all times. Guess I better book it in for a check then and see what they say :(

·
Dead Man's Curve? Feh.
1,176 Posts
Yes, I'm still running with swamp water in the tank, but no signs of overheating, etc.

When I first brought this to the dealer's attention they added some coolant and I noticed that the color of the fluid in the tank was a little bluer.

I happened to quickly check the coolant yesterday afternoon and it seems that the slight bluish tint that had been present appears to have vanished and has reverted back to the original color I noticed when I first posted.

I need to actually withdraw some coolant and take a closer look at the color. I'll post again when I do that later today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked my S up last night - turns out that I had a leaking coolant tank after all, which has now been repaced with a new one. Tech advised me that all the system was checked for leaks including the cooling system/comb chamber. There has been no serious damage to the car. As for the brown coolant - that seems to remain a mystery however now that they have performed the flush and fill I was advised that it should be ok and remain it's normal colour. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are not leaking then I wouldn't worry about it - seems that this is a growing trend amongst S owners and that it traces back to something to do with the manufacturing of the cars at factory level. Check Roadfly.com for plenty of threads on this issue, those who have had the brown coolant tested have noted that it is still the same as the regular blue stuff but just discoloured.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's not just the "S" models as my April build 2002 Cooper 5/sp. turned brown as well. The dealer flushed it last week. We'll see if it stays blue.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
I had the muddy coloured coolant problem on my Cooper.

My dealer drained and flushed the system about 2 months ago and put in fresh coolant. No change in colour yet. :)

My dealer told me that he was told that the problem was caused by a bad batch of coolant at the factory.

Mines an April '02 built car.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
R1 said:
I had the muddy coloured coolant problem on my Cooper.

My dealer drained and flushed the system about 2 months ago and put in fresh coolant. No change in colour yet. :)

My dealer told me that he was told that the problem was caused by a bad batch of coolant at the factory.

Mines an April '02 built car.
Man, that's quite a big batch of bad coolant. It seems this problems affects nearly every Cooper built during the last 12 months.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not yet swamos....im sure its pretty normal if they all do it...dont you think?
And they all do!

Ill sure let you know when/if we get to find out..

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine was brown and the dealer flushed and filled in mid november.
A month later, the level had dropped from full to just below low when the engine is cold.

The dealer topped up the coolant and checked the system and found no faults.. perhaps the level had dropped due to air bubbles in the system.

Keep an eye on it...

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I wonder whether it's just some contamination from some of the sealants used in the manufacturing process?

Has anyone had the system flushed, and had a look at the new coolant after a little while? :confused:

·
Registered
540 Posts
ernesto

Hi ernesto

Please be aware that antifreeze explands when its hot...Thats why you check the coolant level when its cold...When its cold it always drops...Its not air bubbles..

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks,

The level was full (cold) in mid november after the dealer flushed and filled the brown stuff. By Mid-december the level was down just below the low mark (also cold).

The dealer couldn't find any leaks when they checked and topped it up. I see nothing on the garage floor, and the oil looks OK.

I'll be keeping an eye on things to see if it changes over time.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am taking mine into the dealer tomorrow, to top up and flush. It is showing just over minimum when cold and warm. The coolant is also very brown now.

Regards
Christopher

·
Let's Motor...
89 Posts
thie "brown coolent" issue is under investgation with MINI.I have been talking with MINI tech suport and they sent me sample bottles to send them samples from the infected MINIS.so far i have six samples and i will be sending very soon to MINI tech suport.they have not told us not toflush any coolent system till they know what the cause is........hope they tell me very soon!!!! i will let you know once iam told...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
Nobull60
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing