MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a mini convertible 2004, im having a problem with it over heating, the elctrci fan just as 2 wires, there is no resistors on my fan, just 2 wires into wiring loop somewhere, what happens is when its stood still ticking over the temp gauge stays at the middle but the engine over heats and the coolant comes out the expansion tank through the little black cap, ive wired fan to battery and it works fine and the engine doesn't over heat, if I put the heaters on in the car it is also fine as its taking the heat away from the engine, normal driving its fine, just when ticking over after a minute or so it will over heat but the fan does not come on and the temp gauge still reads normal, behind the thermostat housing is the sensor for the temp gauge I presumed was faulty, when I unplug this the fan comes on and stays on, and the temperature gauge flicks over to the red, even when engines cold, so I presumed this was a faulty sensor and replaced it with a new one today, but its exactly the same, ive checed all the fuses, swapped relays round and still the same, its like the temperature gauge is reading wrong and also therefore not kicking the fan in on the rad, any ideas, im stuck on this one.....

·
Registered
429 Posts
the sensors when unplugged will do that, it's not your issue, the cooling fan not working on stage one is most likely your problem, also check you coolant colour, if orange or brown it all needs flushing out and replenishing with the correct blue coolant as it's either been neglected or filled with the wrong type.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sensors when unplugged will do that, it's not your issue, the cooling fan not working on stage one is most likely your problem, also check you coolant colour, if orange or brown it all needs flushing out and replenishing with the correct blue coolant as it's either been neglected or filled with the wrong type.
Hi mate, the coolant I flushed and refilled it it’s blue now, was brown before, my gan doesn’t have a state 1 and 2, it’s just on or off only two wires from loom going direct into fan,
Fans working fine, just doesn’t come on, I’m beginning to think it’s the pressure cap or the thermostat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mate, the coolant I flushed and refilled it it’s blue now, was brown before, my gan doesn’t have a state 1 and 2, it’s just on or off only two wires from loom going direct into fan,
Fans working fine, just doesn’t come on, I’m beginning to think it’s the pressure cap or the thermostat
Fan not gan

·
Registered
429 Posts
your fan isn't like this ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed it, it was the pressures cap
Got one from amazon and it’s spot on now
Ticking over fan coming on and off ok