MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Took our 60,000 mile Mini in for its annual service. No symptoms but the dealer says the CVT is on the point of failure and needs to be replaced for $7500.

Is it worth replacing or should we just write off the car and buy a new one? Presumably it's worthless as a trade in with a shot transmission. Can a different transmission be fitted, maybe a manual/stick or a newer auto?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine light had been on a couple of times in the past , but generally due to the gas cap problem. Supposedly it is leaking fluid (nothing under the car) and diagnostics say one of two transmission belts has failed...as far as I know they didn't do any kind of visual inspection, just a diagnostic.

·
Administrator
4,988 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Wierd though that a belt failed and you aren't feeling any effect. I may be a bit paranoid, but I think I'd seek a second opinion.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Go to another dealer and trade it in? Might get away with it that way.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Wierd though that a belt failed and you aren't feeling any effect. I may be a bit paranoid, but I think I'd seek a second opinion.
I would too. Seems a bit odd that they can tell it's on the brink of failure and you can't. The engine light from the gas cap being off shouldn't have affected the transmission failing, so you've effectively had no symptoms so far.

uhm, whatever.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
:hmph: First, that's awfully extreme, when the transmission being "on the point of failure" has not been validated. If indeed the transmission has life in it, then the owner might want to keep the car. You need more information before advising someone to do something like that! :eek:

Secondly, if the transmission genuinely was "on the point of failure" and this can be detected somehow, then a second dealer would probably pick it up for themselves as well. Then if the first dealer has made notes about the car on its inspection, the second would know you're trying to pull a fast one and lose sympathy for you both in terms of repair assistance and/or a reasonable offer on the car should you decide to part with it. :rolleyes:

Thirdly, it's interesting how many would demand absolute honesty from the dealers and the manufacturers towards them, but are perfectly willing to attempt deception themselves. :bad:

So terrible advice on many degrees, really. :p

As others have suggested, I'd get a second opinion on your transmission if I were you db3bsa - you really need to know exactly what the condition of your MINI is and where you stand. Good luck!

All the best,
Andrew.​

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up: other inspections confirmed bad transmission. After contact with Mini corporate and to and fro with dealer, dealer offered replacement for half price, or a pretty good trade in (as good as Carmax). Traded in, new (manual) Cooper S on order.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Follow up: other inspections confirmed bad transmission. After contact with Mini corporate and to and fro with dealer, dealer offered replacement for half price, or a pretty good trade in (as good as Carmax). Traded in, new (manual) Cooper S on order.
I guess you'd originally hoped your CVT would last longer, but not a bad result if you're happy with the trade-in value. Good to hear things got sorted in the end. :)

All the best,
Andrew.​

1 - 9 of 9 Posts