MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys , we now have another car in now (local customer) having the GTT300T 'topmount ' conversion fitted. We are upping production of some of the components now with the intention that we will be able complete conversions in around 2 weeks soon. We have also had 2 magazines down ...both were very impressed with the conversion. Modern Mini should be out in Feb (I hope) ...and is (I believe) the front cover car. This conversion realy is everything you could ever want /need in a performance Mini, believe me nothing comes close for £6495+vat fitted. :smile:

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Its an R53 MCS doner ... In either stock, JCW or GP form as so much gets changed for the turbo conversion it makes little difference to which car you start with.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, Alans claim to fame is he never cleans his car. I we had known we wouldnt have spent 2 hours valeting the outside .;):eek:

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Haha, Alans claim to fame is he never cleans his car. I we had known we wouldnt have spent 2 hours valeting the outside .;):eek:
lol If he thinks he'll take the title of dirtiest car in Scotland from me, then he should see my car! :D I've got a two-tone effect going on. :eek: Grey to the point of there being no paintwork visible at all on the bottom 6 inches of the doors and bumpers, and Indi Blue on top. :redface:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks to Roland for keeping this quiet, but, i can confirm i am the new owner of the new top mount conversion and some others mods whilst i was there:-

Rear Strut Brace:-

Porsche Brakes:-

Rears:-

Finally At Home:-

Boost gauge fitted:-

Engine bay:-
Very nice, whats it like to drive? :smile:

·
R53 Turbo!
1,931 Posts
Very nice, whats it like to drive? :smile:
Am kinda holding off on writing a wee story until i've learned how to drive it better.
But, around town etc it's just like standard, on the motorways it sits comfortably at the speed limit.
I was amazed at just how quiet the conversion is, no throaty exhaust noise, but, plenty of induction whoosh

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
I saw your car when it was having the work done at GTT...looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to your write up!!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
:D o my god i want that car..... definitely need a write up when uve given it a thrashing!! ill swap u my mini one and 6 pound 80 for it....i know its worth more than that, but its all i have to my name!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Am kinda holding off on writing a wee story until i've learned how to drive it better.
But, around town etc it's just like standard, on the motorways it sits comfortably at the speed limit.
I was amazed at just how quiet the conversion is, no throaty exhaust noise, but, plenty of induction whoosh
Hi,
Is this the same Bonnie Scotland who used to have a BBR 240 conversion ???
Come one spill the beans on how this car drives !

Cheers

Perm

·
R53 Turbo!
1,931 Posts
Hi,
Is this the same Bonnie Scotland who used to have a BBR 240 conversion ???
Come on spill the beans on how this car drives !

Cheers

Perm
Yep, one and the same ;)

Well, still not got to grips with it yet, but, that's more to do with working away from home and not having had real time to drive the car.
But, i can advise that i'm struggling to get the power down smoothly and effectively, which isn't a complaint, i just need to work on it a bit.
I can spin the wheels easily in 4th gear, which, is hard to control :eek:
The way the car is set up once traction is lost the TC actually remains in the off position until an engine restart, which, when you think about it is far more safer than having it cutting in all the time and continually cutting the engine power.
The engine light (Not the EML) is always on due to the boost being more than the 17psi warning level, so, if this annoys you then you are gonna have to live with this.
I did have it reset once, but, as soon as you hit the peak boost in either 18 or 21 psi then the light appears again.
As it slightly annoys me that the light is visible i'd appreciate any info on how to have the light extinguished, would prefer the non led removal route, any way to increase the setting might be useful. Again, this is not a complaint.
Roland explains it really well and why it can be a good thing to have it visible.

I have a 2 stage switchable boost setting, 18 and 21 psi, both settings give excellent driveability around town and i now leave it on the 21psi setting, i never need it in town anyway so it's not an issue for me.
Roland may have other opinions about that, but, i'm happy enough.

It is obvious that there is plenty of power there, not measured on a dyno, but the "feel" is different, i won't be going anywhere near a dyno so please don't ask me to quantify my "power" figures.

Motorway driving is also ok, it'll sit comfortably at the national limits and to the "allowed" motoway speeds, the only annoying thing here (and on A class roads) is that on slight uphill gradients the boost engages, obviously to give it more fuel, but, the induction noise can be irritating, but, this is easily overcome by a quick increase in speed to gain momentum and lifting off to maintain the speed sorts it out.
Initially the sound was welcomed for the obvious reasons and it still brings a wee smile, but, latterly i find it too intrusive, but, it's easily dealt with and doesn't bother me.

The exhaust note has diminished to the extent that even at my advanced years i will be seeking an alternative to increase the tone, this may actually help eliminate the boost noise :smile:
I've been advise that Milltek is the way to go, so, we'll see sometime in the future.
However, under spirited driving there is a significant back fire and i've had confirmed sparks flying out the back :D

Mileage was 21mpg but has increased to approx 25mpg and i'm hoping that i can educate the ecu a wee bit higher the more i drive it.
I don't hang about out of town (sticking to limits of course)

I'm still a bit reluctant to give it max in the current weather conditions, the roads have generally been slippy and i'd rather wait until the wintry stuff disappears before i do, however, i'm curious to know what other high performance owners have tyre wise on their cars?
I have Toyo Proxies and i must admit that the lack of straight line grip under hard accelration may be down to the wrong tyre choice.

Of course, with this engine conversion i thought it prudent to upgrade the braking and suspension, this was achieved with the Porsche brake kit, Bilstein suspesnion and all the strut braces ( i already had the front upper brace)

Again i've not really had a chance to examine the new levels of ride quality, but, you can definitely feel a difference and the stopping ability is far superior over the standard JCW brakes.

All my comments above are aimed at a genuine write up of MY opinions and others may have other ideas, my opinions are not meant to be negative, more how i feel the car is.
I'm not looking for any criticism or questioning my reasons for having the mods done but i will happily answer genuine queries to assist others in their quest for a more powerful MINI.
I already know that for the money you can buy a blah blah car :eek: but, i want a MINI ;)

If you were to consider this turbo conversion i would advise that you start with a more basic model than a JCW, mainly due to the fact that it makes no difference to the outcome, however, you will have spent more up front.
I honestly believe that you would be better adding the brakes at the same time and if you can stretch to it add in the suspension.

·
Registered
36 Posts
are you planning on tracking the car at all at knockhill or is it more just for the street etc? I'm a bit further north than you, must have been a hell of a long drive ;)

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
COuld the lower of the 2 boost settings not be changed to 17 then the light would stay off except when choosing the higher setting & gunning it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts