MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, after trading out my wheels/tyres, the new ones have 3.5 mm on the fronts (backs are still 7mm) - so two questions.

1) am I OK to trade them out in pairs? I noticed that at least one of the 'serious' tuners out there actually kept their stock Dunlop runflats on the back and replaced the front pair with something (Goodyears I think), so am assuming it is OK if not ideal to do so.

either way ....

2) I can't afford Paradas, although I'm sure they're the canine proverbials, so I figure the Proxes T1S or the AVS Sports (both 205/40 17s) are my best bet? Good prices, and sound like theyre good performance (fairly fast road use, all weathers) ... what does everyone think?

(Oh, for what its worth, Mini Cooper S, 17" S Spokes)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Best go for 215/40 as it is closer to the original gearing, looks better and offers extra
protection to your precious alloys. Goodyear F1 GS-D3 are the current magazines
favourites. Try www.tirerack.com, www.1010tires.com and www.mytyres.co.uk for
tyre opinions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the advice - yea I'd probably be happier with 215/40s (and by the looks of the charts in the FAQ, could possibly even fit in a 215/45 although suspect that'd possibly be in danger of fouling the arches (at full lock anyway) ??? Can anyone confirm that's not the case?)

As for the Goodyears, can't seem to find them at a particularly good price . They'd cost me more than £100 more than the Toyos (for example). Are they THAT much better? (And before you say anything, I DO realise that £100 isn't a huge amount when we're talking tyres, but I do (sadly) have to think about money somewhere in there!)

I suppose a question this raises is: after a certain limit, you must start to get diminishing increases in performance from a tyre, (as with everything else) - but where is that limit? £50 a tyre (doubt it), £100 a tyre (most likely) ... more?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts