MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Mini2ers,

Just got back from a camping trip and have discovered some very nasty scratches on the back of the passenger seat and in the rear. Both are quite deep into the plastic so I was wondering if there are any products that can help hide them a bit, or if BMW will do a repair ?
Any advice would be much appreciated,

From a very unhappy Badboyz :(

·
Registered
371 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere about this. I can't believe how soft the plastic is even on the new models.

Anyway a few of the tricks I have used....

Go over the area with the back of a teaspoon to push the plastic flat.

Use a chirograph pencil (waxy type of lead) of the appropriate colour to blend the lighter scratches back. Then rub with a soft cloth as though you were trying to get the Gennie out of the bottle. The heat generated softens the pencil and mixes it with the surface.

For some scratches that have got really rough edges use a heat gun. :eek: Be careful with this cos to much heat and things get really messy. eg: carpet dies etc. The edges retract quickly and used with the pencil can be really effective.

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GaryM said:
Go over the area with the back of a teaspoon to push the plastic flat.

Use a chirograph pencil (waxy type of lead) of the appropriate colour to blend the lighter scratches back.

Cheers Gary, some real helpful tips. I'm not familiar with a chirograph pencil though. What is it and more importantly where can I find one ?

·
Registered
371 Posts
They can be tricky to find. Start with a good artists or graphics shop they are also known as china markers. The two that I found, are made by Berol Blaisdell and Dixon.

They look like slightly fatter pencils except that center is a hard but waxy core which is then spiral bound with paper.

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GaryM said:
They can be tricky to find. Start with a good artists or graphics shop they are also known as china markers. The two that I found, are made by Berol Blaisdell and Dixon.

They look like slightly fatter pencils except that center is a hard but waxy core which is then spiral bound with paper.
I shall start my hunt for the chirograph pencil/china marker then. When I get it I'll post up the results. Cheers again gary.

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got myself a chirograph/china pencil .....

Ive just set at my car armed with a spoon and a china marker and my scratches are as good as gone. If anyones reading this in hope for a fix then get yourself a chirograph pencil / China marker and the results will be great.

I found a supplier of the China Marker, they have quite a few branches throughout the UK :

www.hobbycraft.co.uk

Thanks again to Gary for the advice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts