MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I am a new MCS 2005 owner since 2 weeks ago. I am planning to install the Alta 15% Pulley after my car get "Run-in", does anyone know any good garage which is expert for the pulley installation in Montreal or Toronto?

Thanks a lot.

:dark:

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
I got mine installed at a local (South shore of Montreal) VW performance shop and they did a great job...

Formule VW
1-450-464-4207 (ask for Jocelyn)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi DarkMiniCooperS:

Thanks a lot! Much appreciate with your info! And may I ask if you know if there is any problem if I switch the aftermarket spark plug after the pulley?

I read from some posts said the pulley may cause the plugs to lose out.... Not sure if it is true or not...

Thanks again for the info.

:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DarkMiniCooperS said:
I got mine installed at a local (South shore of Montreal) VW performance shop and they did a great job...

Formule VW
1-450-464-4207 (ask for Jocelyn)
One more question... Do they sell the Alta pulley or I have to buy the pully from other shop ?

Thanks

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
actually, this shop don't carry MINI products but they have the skills to install it...

I got mine from MINI Madness (pulley and puller) so I could leave you the puller... let me know!

I changed my spark plugs for colder ones after about 20 000km on the pulley and I didn't have any problem...

Let me know for the puller... I could leave it at Formule VW shop for you...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DarkMiniCooperS said:
actually, this shop don't carry MINI products but they have the skills to install it...

I got mine from MINI Madness (pulley and puller) so I could leave you the puller... let me know!

I changed my spark plugs for colder ones after about 20 000km on the pulley and I didn't have any problem...

Let me know for the puller... I could leave it at Formule VW shop for you...
Thanks a lot! :) I will wait until my car break in before the installation. Hope I still can contact you at that time. :dark:

Best regard

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
Like many other motorers, I check MINI2 forums daily!

Just let me know in advance so that I can leave the puller at Formule VW!

When you'll get the pulley installed, why not upgrade your ECU software to MTH? I have the cable and I could help you with the installation!

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DarkMiniCooperS said:
Like many other motorers, I check MINI2 forums daily!

Just let me know in advance so that I can leave the puller at Formule VW!

When you'll get the pulley installed, why not upgrade your ECU software to MTH? I have the cable and I could help you with the installation!

Happy motoring!
Hi DarkMiniCooperS: :dark:

Thanks a lot! Much appreciate! Yes, what I am planning to do is the pulley, intake then ask for the MTH ECU upgrade... :)

You are the man! ;)
Best regard.

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
The first mod I did on my MCS was an intake and it didn't feel like having more power... but the sound is great! :)

For the cost of a good intake, I would first do the MTH upload! It will cost you at least half of an intake and the power increase is a lot more!

An intake is not a bad choice either, but if I had to do it again, I would do it this way :
1- pulley
2- MTH
3- intake

Have fun with your MCS!

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
It all depends on how much time it takes for the job...

It took a little more than 2 hours to get mine installed and it cost me 80.00$.

If you want to buy a pulley, don't bother with a puller tool... I already have one and I really don't mind to share it with other MINI owners... as long as I get it back!

I highly recommand Formule VW because there are only a few shops that actually like what they do and I think enthusiasts are the best workers in the world!!

Formule VW is not too far from Montreal... It is right next to highway 20 on the south shore. From the L-H tunnel, it is about 15 minutes...

As I said earlier, I could leave the puller at Formule VW shop and get it back after since my parents live nearby and I visit them quite often so it is not a problem for me!

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
Well, there are tons of threads about this but the way I see it is the following:

15%:
The most conservative one.
Give less boost at low RPM than 19% (obviously!)
Still a great upgrade over stock!
Safe for autoX and trackdays
No belt problem at all

17%:
A good alternative to 19%. for low-end torque
Still safer than a 19% for heat concerns...
Have to change belt but never heard of problem with it...

19%:
Great low-end torque as boost is created sooner.
A few people had problems with belt wear but I never saw a blown s/c or water pump...
Not recommanded for AutoX or long high-RPM driving... (creates a lot of heat!)
There are not a lot of power gain with an ECU upgrade for a 19% setup yet... (don't ask me why)

I chose a 15% because I didn't want to have any problem and I want to keep my MCS for a long time! Probably a 17% would have been as reliable as a 15% but I decided to follow Randy's experience and go with a "safer" 15%...

Make sure you order a pulley that is NOT presss-fitted... It is a pain to install and to align... If you are not sure, a good way to tell which pulley is good is to look for bolts and 2 or 3 pieces... Alta, MINI Madness, Webb motorsports (Alta reseller), and many others carry those!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just saw a 2005 mini cooper s with jcw body kits. it is very nice . and the saleman say 3500 plus tax.. very expensive

·
MINI crazy!
303 Posts
MINI Brossard have a lot of nice MINI ! I think they are the best dealer in Quebec...

·
Registered
33 Posts
MiniDSW2005 said:
Hi all:

I am a new MCS 2005 owner since 2 weeks ago. I am planning to install the Alta 15% Pulley after my car get "Run-in", does anyone know any good garage which is expert for the pulley installation in Montreal or Toronto?

Thanks a lot.

:dark:

Billy from BBR Sportsline has done alot. (905)305-0310 or www.BBRSPORTSLINE.com

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the inputs! Much appreciate. :)

I just got my MCS tinted.. Very happy with this initial mod though.. As for the pulley, I will do it after the "Run-in" period.. Then will do the MTH , intake and exhaust after...

Can't wait to install the pulley.. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts