MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any nice winding roads near Sydney which could compare to Brisbane's Mt Glorious run where the speed limit is 80kph (and to maintain that speed you are flying). I have been searching and searching for some great drives... Recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stanwell!!!

hey,
well whenever me and my friends decide to go for a cruise, we head out to Stanwell. Its about 30 mins from the city heading south towards wollongong. from the south western suburbs you take heathcote road or from the city you pass through Hurstville. Its a national park so its a combo of windy sections then a dead straight for the next kilometer or two.

Be careful with one corner near the end of the track, its a sharp right hander(90degrees). You wont have problems with rear wheel drive but with front wheel you wouldnt want to push as hard or youll understeer.

theres another windy road up north at Ku-ring-gai, though i havent been there yet...its on my to do list!

btw...if you go at the early hours of the night you probably find only one or two cars on that road, probably there with the same reason as you! ;) word of warning, cops patrol the highway(princess hwy which is next to it), so going home be aware that they hide their cars in pitch black with their cars pointing in the opp direction of flow(scary). :mad:

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Isn't Stanwell Pass littered with coppers?

The other road to go is Bulli Pass around Stanwell (I think...my mapping skills are poor) and the other way you're thinking about is OPH. Lots of Pirates run around there on the weekend.

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
Most of the good roads close to Sydney are littered with Police (OPH and Royal National Park).

Another great alternative is to cross the mountains and travel the roads around Lithgow, Oberon and Bathurst. We did some of this as part of the the recce for East Coast Targa and there are some sensational roads out there. Most can be done in a reasonable day trip.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
What about that road to Batesman Bay? Forgot the name but it was quite a good road except the occasional oil spot on the straight.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
The road we drove with the club some months back from Batemans Bay to Braidwood (speed limits of 80 and 90) was unbelieveably good :D

It's a fair hike from Sydney though.

I guess if you live north side, try OPH, and south side try the Royal National Park.

Do them in the evening though - no police really

·
Registered
633 Posts
Some excellent roads above Wollongong in the southern highlands. Me and some mates regularly do this run, We turn west at the bomaderry roundabout on the princes highway near Macca's and head up the mountain towards Kangaroo valley which is a excellent drive in a hi-powered car, heaps of good hills hair pin turns and great scenery, we usually stop for a break at Fitzroy falls and then head over to robertson and down the Macquarrie pass which is another excellent winding mini road, just watch out for the MOTO GP boys on the wrong side of the road. This brings you out at Albion Park.

Lawrence Hargrave drive is another beauty, (turn left at the bottom of Bulli pass) but is currently closed about half way along because of rock slides and dangerous cracking. They are building a over water bridge which will hang off the side of the coast and follow the old road (this is going to take a couple of years) to complete though, once finished it will link back up with the national park road which has been discussed earlier in this thread.

PS The Macquarrie pass and Kangaroo Valley drive is heaps better than the Clyde Mountain (Batemans Bay to Braidwood)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys - Some great recommendations... I am going to try out Macquarie Pass tomorrow and will let you guys know....

Cheers...

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
XTREEM said:
PS The Macquarrie pass and Kangaroo Valley drive is heaps better than the Clyde Mountain (Batemans Bay to Braidwood)
bah you can't be serious :D I found the Clyde much more fun - less traffic and higher speed limits.

Though Jamberoo pass (kind of south of Macquarie pass - ends at the pie shop in Robertson) is a GREAT hill climb ;)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
No one has mentioned the famous Galston Gauge.

My favorite people might not be aware of is a surburb out west called Glenmore Park, next to Penrith it is like a go kart track.......no cops will sit in there mainly local traffic passes by thats all.

Check out your UBD you'll be amazed at the amount of corners, almost every part of Glenmore Park is bendy. :D

You wont be hitting speeds of 80 + maybe 60.

How to get to Glenmore Park :

Travel on M4 until Northern Road Exit, take a left turn off the M4 travel down the road about 800 metres at round about turn right & thats when the fun begins.

Everyone that hasnt experienced the Glenmore go out asap & enjoy !

Happy karting. ;)

Daniel

·
Registered
633 Posts
IML337 said:
bah you can't be serious :D I found the Clyde much more fun - less traffic and higher speed limits.

Though Jamberoo pass (kind of south of Macquarie pass - ends at the pie shop in Robertson) is a GREAT hill climb ;)

I dont rate the clyde mountain anywhere near as good as kangaroo valley. just doesn't compare, but yes there is less traffic, (heaps of cops though) the trucks are the only thing that stuff up Kangaroo valley a bit.

I live at the bottom of the clyde and would still rather drive for a hour to get to kangaroo than do the clyde.

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
IML337 said:
The road we drove with the club some months back from Batemans Bay to Braidwood (speed limits of 80 and 90) was unbelieveably good :D
I got to drive this the opposite way when I drove from Goulburn to Batemans Bay on the Pirates weekend.

I believe it was called Brown Mountain... farkin sensational!!
Lots of switchbacks and really nice camerd corners... with all the overtaking lanes heading up the hill... I could imagine you could have quite a good nudge at the speedlimit;)

Todd

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
So what was the road I was talkin about then?

Todd

·
Registered
633 Posts
If it is from Batemans Bay to Braidwood its the clyde mountain (kings highway).

I must be missing something, everybody else here seems to love it.

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
I spent many an hour sitting on the side of the road on the Clyde as a kid. My mothers LX Torana boiled everytime we went up it. She used to pack a lunch it was that much of a certainty.

Been wanting to do it myself for a long time (not boil a car, drive the Clyde). Actually would love to spend a week down in that area - especially the other side of Braidwood just getting lost and finding funky roads.

Tood, it was probably Brown Mountain you are thinking of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.