MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Diesel Cooper? Almost!
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - any suggestions re the best choice of tyre for wet roads? I locked up twice whilst braking downhill last w/e, despite abs. (Car, MOD, has std tyres on 15" alloys which I'm happy with in other respects).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
In 175/65 size there is very little choice and none have a great reputation. If you go for
195/60 this gives a far greater choice with the Pirelli P7 and Goodyear HydraGrip both
very modern with each having plenty of good reports in independent testing. See
http://www.mytyres.co.uk for a full list available in that size. You can't really go to
205/55 if you have 5.5" wide rims.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
SteveM3 said:
In 175/65 size there is very little choice and none have a great reputation. If you go for
195/60 this gives a far greater choice with the Pirelli P7 and Goodyear HydraGrip both
very modern with each having plenty of good reports in independent testing. See
http://www.mytyres.co.uk for a full list available in that size. You can't really go to
205/55 if you have 5.5" wide rims.
agree with steve, try to go to 195 width if you can. HOWEVER, i wouldn't go near the P7 pirelli. P-Zeros are great but the P7 is not very good. The Hydragrip is rated as the best tyre in the wet in it's size. See Autocar magazine's tyre test from last week.

If you can't get the Hydragrip, the Goodyear Ventura is very good. Toyo's Proxes aren't bad either and I have Continental Premium Contacts which i have been (surprisingly) impressed with. Think you will get the Contis in 175/65.

::::edited:::: not being cheeky, but maybe you need to smooth out your braking. in saying that, i know the ABS in the mini is very sensitive to bumps and can get thrown- ie it triggers when you are braking and hit a bump.

however, do you know how to double de-clutch? if you know how to do this, heel and toe changes will help smooth your braking, as the downchange won't come in with such a bang. the other thing to do is just to change down slightly slower, eg, change from 4th to 3rd. 4th, change to neutral, pause and count 1 (option of taking the clutch up here and matching revs), then take 3rd. that should help the car be more stable.

·
Diesel Cooper? Almost!
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

The Hydragrip sounds good - the problems were both emergency stops (beware Devon lanes) so guess sgould slow down - tks 4 advice - Nick

·
Registered
588 Posts
tuscan_thunder said:
agree with steve, try to go to 195 width if you can. HOWEVER, i wouldn't go near the P7 pirelli. P-Zeros are great but the P7 is not very good. The Hydragrip is rated as the best tyre in the wet in it's size. See Autocar magazine's tyre test from last week.

If you can't get the Hydragrip, the Goodyear Ventura is very good. Toyo's Proxes aren't bad either and I have Continental Premium Contacts which i have been (surprisingly) impressed with. Think you will get the Contis in 175/65.

::::edited:::: not being cheeky, but maybe you need to smooth out your braking. in saying that, i know the ABS in the mini is very sensitive to bumps and can get thrown- ie it triggers when you are braking and hit a bump.

however, do you know how to double de-clutch? if you know how to do this, heel and toe changes will help smooth your braking, as the downchange won't come in with such a bang. the other thing to do is just to change down slightly slower, eg, change from 4th to 3rd. 4th, change to neutral, pause and count 1 (option of taking the clutch up here and matching revs), then take 3rd. that should help the car be more stable.

Double de clutch ! fantastic I thought I was the only one to still do it !

I bet you guys in US do it all the time ? .........and no you cant do it in a auto

Sorry couldnt resist...............

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
johnlondonw3 said:
Double de clutch ! fantastic I thought I was the only one to still do it !

I bet you guys in US do it all the time ? .........and no you cant do it in a auto

Sorry couldnt resist...............

a downshift without a double de-clutch is a lazy downshift.

heel and toe is an art form when done right- you wouldn't bang the gears in in a 250GT SWB so why do it in anything else i reckon!

if anyone wants to argue, i suggest they rent Bullitt and see what the car chase would sound like without all the blips, double de-clutching and heel and toe changes. with the big V8 and it's heavy flywheel, McQueen can even double de on the way up! (i know the soundtrack is a GT40 dubbed on)

·
Registered
588 Posts
tuscan_thunder said:
a downshift without a double de-clutch is a lazy downshift.

heel and toe is an art form when done right- you wouldn't bang the gears in in a 250GT SWB so why do it in anything else i reckon!

if anyone wants to argue, i suggest they rent Bullitt and see what the car chase would sound like without all the blips, double de-clutching and heel and toe changes. with the big V8 and it's heavy flywheel, McQueen can even double de on the way up! (i know the soundtrack is a GT40 dubbed on)
Im getting a new set os 205/35/18 and need to decide on tyres,choice seems to be between Kumo and Nankang,I live in London so not much chance of doing any great speed I want the best balance of grip+wear+ good looks+rim protection ..any thoughts.
Reason for the choice of tyres Ive mentioned is price

·
Diesel Cooper? Almost!
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
60 or 65 ?

thanks all

195 Hydragrip sounds good - is there much difference between 60 or 65 profile? I'm on stock 175/65 at mo, and would rather not end up with speedo out of calibration, and much harsher/noisier ride.

Any chance someone can email me a scan copy of the autocar test ? the newsagents here have restocked later issue, and the autocar website doesnt seem to have it either.

Re Tuscan racer, yes, can I can double declutch as used to vintage cars, but prefer relaxerd torquy low rev driving to thrashing. haven't a clue about heel & toeing.

The skidding incidents were when finding cars in front stalled at junctions around blind corners on bends - plenty of these on the moor bearing in mind the elderly daytrippers get lost/confused when following detours after the roads flood. Am trying to be patient & slower, recalling I'll probably be just like this in 30+ years time! :D

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
195/60-15 is the proper replacement size ...

Red Devil said:
195 Hydragrip sounds good - is there much difference between 60 or 65 profile? I'm on stock 175/65 at mo, and would rather not end up with speedo out of calibration, and much harsher/noisier ride.
Either profile on a 195 tire will offer more sidewall than a 175/65-15 tire.

Speedometer reading versus 175/65-15:
  • 195/60-15 = 1.1% too slow (60 mph when your are actually traveling 60.6 mph)
  • 195/65-15 = 4.3% too slow (60 mph when your are actually traveling 62.6 mph)
195/60-15 is the proper size ...

:readme: FAQ: What should be considered in choosing a wheel and tire package?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts