MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Expecting rain...
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I'm new to Mini2 and a very happy pilot of a beautiful PS/MC ... two weeks in and gets
better every time I turn the key !! It's a 2003 with 9300 miles on it, came loaded with just about everything . It came setup for the luggage rack which I'm not interested in at the moment but is there anything anyone has done with the the eight inset female threaded bolt holes for attaching the rack? Are there caps available anywhere ? Could be a good idea to have a nice 3/4"" disc chrome or Union Jack etc. with a short bolt on the bottom
you could screw in and not have the open bolt hole sitting there filled with rain water and such. any thoughts or ideas ?? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I have the factory rack and the dealer offers covers for the bolts. Pretty reasonable cost, about $10 USA a set of 4. In the 2 years that I have had my MCS I have only lost one cover and I think it was my fault. It was after a heavy ice storm that left approximately .5"/12.5mm of ice coating the whole car. In the process of ice removal I probably loosened on of the caps and it blew off on my drive to work.

Can hardly fault the designers for that. What I can fault them for is the plastic they use. The white caps yellow badly with age. After one year they are so yellow they need replacement just to keep the color correct. Perhaps painting them would work, but I think it is cheaper to just replace them.

·
NansZipper
3 Posts
Dealers have 3 choices for hole covers. They are chrome,black and white. The chrome
look the best,but are quite ab-it more. Dab a little of silicone on the insert portion of the cover and it will not come off.

·
Smurfing Around
42,086 Posts
I have lost quite a few, but they were probably loosened by putting the cover on and off :rolleyes: Less lost since not needing cover

The other thing is that the white caps yellow pretty quickly in the hot sun. I have had to change quite a few just to match the colours up again :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts