MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my cooper back from another visit to the dealer. This was to replace a leaky rear light cluster and to investigate the cars clutch which had slipped a couple of times.
On speaking to the service manager he said the clutch was a new fault. anyway the dealer has fiited my car with a new clutch but said he couldnt tell me what the problem was. Has anyone else had clutch trouble. For info the clutch problem started after 2800 miles.
On this visit the dealer also replaced my single CD player although I wasnt aware of any problems with it. He said it was a minor recall. I didnt know about this until the work was completed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Single CD could run your battery flat?

This is a just a guess, but friends of mine left their Cooper in the drive for a few days and when they returned the electrics were on the complete fritz. Something to do with the battery screwing the ECU or something. When they picked it up after repair the dealer said it was caused by the single CD boost radio and they'd replaced the unit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- Am i a bad driver?

Thanks for the explanation about why my cd player was relaced. I only wish my dealer was as forthcoming with info.

Anyway today my father who has 40 years experience working on vehicles of all descriptions telephoned the dealer to seek an explanation about why my clutch was replaced. After the usual avoidance from the dealer he was given a suprising explanation.

Apparently the clutch was burnt out as I had been riding it!!!!
This is a most unusual explanation given when the fault developed my car had only covered 2800 miles. Around 80% of which have been on A roads and involve minimal use of the gears and therefore the clutch.
It is also strange that I have covered around 20000 miles in each of my last 2 vehicles (both citroen saxo's)without any clutch problems at all. Has my driving style changed and caused the fault or was it due to something more sinister which the dealer wont admit?

I intend to e-mail BMW customer service to seek an explanation from them, however after previous communications I doubt my questions will be answered.:confused:

·
Registered
577 Posts
There should always be a bit of free play in the clutch pedal. It is possible the linkage was set up too tightly during manufacture, putting pressure on the throwout bearing and making the pressure plate slip a bit. Had it been caused by you riding the pedal, it is doubtful they would have replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch burnt out. At 24,000 miles. Two thirds is daily Motorway commute. Cooper D Clubman. Less than 2 years old. Dealer claims it must be my driving and is resisting warranty claim. I have had 17 cars since starting driving in 1968. Some have done over 125,000 miles. Never had a clutch problem before. Clearly a design or assembly fault. Will contact trading standards today

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a normal person with normal driving habits.

I have a 2006 Cooper S, bought new. The warranty just ran out two months ago (have extended factory, but not maintenance). Last year I hired a lemon lawyer to look into filing a claim because the car had been taken to the dealership for repairs over 20 times in 3 years, many of which clutch/transmission noises, chatters, and malfunctions.

I have driven manual cars my whole life without problem.

Took the car in yesterday because of a chattering in the trans/clutch problem. I was just informed that they believe the clutch needs to be replaced again -- but it will require spending $1,500 first to rip apart the car to properly diagnose.

1. Has anyone ever heard of ANY car (driven by a responsible adult) requiring 3 clutches in 30,000 miles?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a clutch needing to be re-replaced after one year (approx 10K miles)?

3. Rhetorical question: Has any other Mini owner had premature clutch malfunction?

It is against my nature to threaten but I have finally reached my breaking point with Mini (it was right after the dealership hinted that this is all my fault -- abuse and hard driving.) I drive like a normal person. If you want to find something abnormal, just google "MINI" and "CLUTCH."

I am a journalist for several national magazines. This is the first time I've ever considered playing this card, but I can guarantee Mini that if they do not provide me with a reasonable explanation/solution to this problem, I will devote the next three months of my professional career writing about what it's been like to be a Mini owner. Not exactly fascinating reading, but I will do my best, and I can guarantee a prolific output.

I would welcome anyone else's stories/concerns/advice either here or at [email protected] regarding similar problems.

Thanks for your time.

C. Brian Smith

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a normal person with normal driving habits.

I have a 2006 Cooper S, bought new. The warranty just ran out two months ago (have extended factory, but not maintenance). Last year I hired a lemon lawyer to look into filing a claim because the car had been taken to the dealership for repairs over 20 times in 3 years, many of which clutch/transmission noises, chatters, and malfunctions.

I have driven manual cars my whole life without problem.

Took the car in yesterday because of a chattering in the trans/clutch problem. I was just informed that they believe the clutch needs to be replaced again -- but it will require spending $1,500 first to rip apart the car to properly diagnose.

1. Has anyone ever heard of ANY car (driven by a responsible adult) requiring 3 clutches in 30,000 miles?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a clutch needing to be re-replaced after one year (approx 10K miles)?

3. Rhetorical question: Has any other Mini owner had premature clutch malfunction?

It is against my nature to threaten but I have finally reached my breaking point with Mini (it was right after the dealership hinted that this is all my fault -- abuse and hard driving.) I drive like a normal person. If you want to find something abnormal, just google "MINI" and "CLUTCH."

I am a journalist for several national magazines. This is the first time I've ever considered playing this card, but I can guarantee Mini that if they do not provide me with a reasonable explanation/solution to this problem, I will devote the next three months of my professional career writing about what it's been like to be a Mini owner. Not exactly fascinating reading, but I will do my best, and I can guarantee a prolific output.

I would welcome anyone else's stories/concerns/advice either here or at [email protected] regarding similar problems.

Thanks for your time.

C. Brian Smith
Hi Brian

I have a 2009 Mini Cooper S, and it feels as if the clutch is on it's way out, tell tale signs such as the pedal being high at bite, and free revving as well as a horrible noise when changing gears, especially in gears one and two.

I have driven manual cars for over ten years, and have only ever needed to replace two clutches, in that time. My Cooper S is 2009 as I've mentioned and is just about to hit 10k miles.

Myself, well formerly a motorsport mechanic and I've worked on many a Group B rally car, and many a Porsche racing car. Ridiculous in a modern car and I'd imagine it's a pain in the arse of a job!!

James Lythgoe

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just had the clutch replaced. I have only had the car 1 yr, it is a 2006 cooper. The clutch was clearly slipping before it was replaced. The mechanic seemed to think that as the car had only done 32k miles that there is no reason why the clutch should be replaced so soon!! But he said it depends on how the previous owner drove the car, ie - riding the clutch for example!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Argh! MINI was my DREAM car, but at 23,000KM they told me my front brakes were shot, and now at the same time my clutch is going and needs to be replaced. My car is LESS than 2 years old, I have driven standard all my life, do not ride the clutch, and DO NOT understand how a clutch can go at 23,000 K.
Those of you who had it replaced under warranty are lucky. I have had NO RECOURSE with MINI or BMW at all - they are quite smarmy and up-themselves and I cannot believe that a reputable company like BMW won't stand by their products! Crazy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fatal Flaw

I currently have a standard transmission 2007 Mini Cooper convertible. My first Mini was a 2005 convertible, also standard transmission. With the 2005, my clutch suddenly went out completely...the car was only 18 months old. I threw such a fit that the dealer agreed to replace it under my warranty even though the clutch is typically not covered. I attributed it to being an anomaly. A few months later, I traded it in for a 2007. Up until recently, I've had no problems. But, now the clutch is starting to struggle in 2nd and 3rd gear. I've owned standard transmission vehicles all my life and have never had a clutch go out this early! Unfortunately, I know from my experience with my other Mini that there's no point in arguing, especially since I'm beyond 50,000 miles...I'm bringing my 2007 Mini to a reputable repairman that I know rather than dealing with the dealership. I love Minis, but when it comes time to buy a new car, I now know I will have to weigh whether or not it's worth investing in a car that will apparently have to have the clutch replaced much sooner than any other car.... :-(

·
Registered
57 Posts
As your car is 4 years old and has done more than 50k miles, it's not really worn out the clutch prematurely. You might hope for longer life but lots of cars of all makes have new clutches at LESS than 50k. Unfortunately clutches are a wearing part, like brakes, exhausts and tyres. They're also very pricey nowdays compared to 20-30 years ago when it was a quick, cheap job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Premature Clutch Wear - What is the real issue & why is MINI not addressing it?

:angry:I have a intermittent, infrequent light/brief "hum" noise (thats as good as I can describe it) that sometimes occurs when I change gears as of 37000 miles. There is no harsh grinding metal noise and the clutch itself shifts fine.The foreman and the shop manager drove the car and they said they could not reproduce the sound. I mentioned I should get in car with them to do this again. The manager blew it off. I brought the car in due to a gear/exclamation light that went on shortly before I heard the noise and to get my annual inspection and to mention this noise I hear once and a while . I was told the warning light went on due to a turn signal issue. Note, the timing chain was replaced during this visit.

Every car I have owned has had a manual transmission - 74 BMW, 97 Acura Integra RS, and a German 67 Beetle. My 67 beetle that has been driven harder and longer on a day to day basis which has outlived the clutch of the Mini. I have been quite easy on the car and consider myself a skilled driver.

I am shocked and baffled by the concept of possibly having to replace the clutch on my 2009 Cooper S every 30000+ miles. This does not seem like a cost efficient car to own and quite saddened by similar experiences by other Mini Cooper owners. I bought this car because I love the look of the original Minis and I appreciate German engineering - as I used to have a 74 2002tii BMW. I thought the marrage of BMW and Mini would be good one. My car was assembled in Germany based on the VIN number so I had high hopes for this car. I am now quite dissapointed.

The fact that the clutch can too easily be attributed to driver abuse without any proof makes me think that this is a scam by MINI USA to avoid dealing with a costly recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a mini cooper cabrio 2009 model. My clutch needs replacing and is still under warranty!!!! But they tell me it's wear and tear and not covered under warranty and I have only done 33,000kms and have had my mini for 2 years as of 10 Feb!!!! I will not put up with this. A Current Affair or 60 Minutes should be interested!!

Mini Garage, love your mini's but the workmanship could be improved greatly along with your customer service!!!!!!!

Not a happy customer. Might go back to the Mazda 3 SP23. At least that manual didn't have clutch problems in the 5 years I owned one for!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch not right

:angry:I have a intermittent, infrequent light/brief "hum" noise (thats as good as I can describe it) that sometimes occurs when I change gears as of 37000 miles. There is no harsh grinding metal noise and the clutch itself shifts fine.The foreman and the shop manager drove the car and they said they could not reproduce the sound. I mentioned I should get in car with them to do this again. The manager blew it off. I brought the car in due to a gear/exclamation light that went on shortly before I heard the noise and to get my annual inspection and to mention this noise I hear once and a while . I was told the warning light went on due to a turn signal issue. Note, the timing chain was replaced during this visit.

Every car I have owned has had a manual transmission - 74 BMW, 97 Acura Integra RS, and a German 67 Beetle. My 67 beetle that has been driven harder and longer on a day to day basis which has outlived the clutch of the Mini. I have been quite easy on the car and consider myself a skilled driver.

I am shocked and baffled by the concept of possibly having to replace the clutch on my 2009 Cooper S every 30000+ miles. This does not seem like a cost efficient car to own and quite saddened by similar experiences by other Mini Cooper owners. I bought this car because I love the look of the original Minis and I appreciate German engineering - as I used to have a 74 2002tii BMW. I thought the marrage of BMW and Mini would be good one. My car was assembled in Germany based on the VIN number so I had high hopes for this car. I am now quite dissapointed.

The fact that the clutch can too easily be attributed to driver abuse without any proof makes me think that this is a scam by MINI USA to avoid dealing with a costly recall.
Same problem with 2011 Countryman All4--same city too! Something is not right with the clutch and hasn't been since week 1. We have brought to dealer and have documented every issue we have had with the clutch. We are lifetime manual drivers--every car except our mini-van has had a manual transmission and we are in our 40s. Driver error, don't think so.

I LOVE my Countryman. I smile everytime I drive her. But we have named her Smelly Clutch for a reason. That's her name.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Premature Clutch Wear - What is the real issue & why is MINI not addressing it?

I have the same as many of you' and reading many forums these past 2 days it is clear we are certainly not alone....! Wonder just how many have had premature wear of the clutch and made to feel like they are bad drivers...?

I am absolutely gutted as adore my mini cooper s however I have lost all faith and trust in the brand. After 19,000 miles and at only 2 1/2 years old I have been told the car needs a clutch at the cost of £1,800 as is not covered by warranty. BMW will not give a good will gesture as down to wear and tear. I absolutely disagree and am sure it must be some sort of fault, but how can i prove it? Surly if the driving had been 'abused' that badly there would be other signs.. I am still on my first set of tyres.. I do not drive badly and have never been on a track day as 'suggested' by them I have been driving for over 20 years and never had a clutch wear out before even on cheaper far less 'prestige' brands..!

This is the 3rd major problem this car has had and BMW still will not accept it is a 'bad' car. One being the engine just dumping out all the oil whilst driving on the M1. Any other product it would have been returned for a refund, where are car buyers rights in the UK...? reluctantly now will be looking for another make car. I truly thought I'd be a mini customer for life but I will not be now, that is not an easy thing to do as adore it and will be soo sad never driving a mini again and can honestly say I can't imagine getting excited about buying another different new car. If I'd known I'd done wrong then fair enough i'd except it and move on but I just know I have driven it as normal as normal can be. So I will soon be an ex mini owner as this was my 2nd mini and was elated when i bought this new baby. I am gutted to the core and feel incredibly let down by BMW customer service. being a loyal customer and recommended the brand for years gets you nowhere.

Any recommendations on how to escalate higher up in BMW would be gratefully received.. And I'm sad so many have the same complaint - mini BMW need to investigate and admit there is a wider problem here for some reason.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I wouldn't let it go at that! Try a different dealer , at the very least i would expect some sort of good will. Be persistent with them! or tell them to stick the car where the sun doesn't shine!

If no luck at all and you must pay the bill then personally i wouldn't get it done by BMW , it will be much much cheaper elsewhere BUT you really shouldn't have to be going through this in the first place!

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience was the same as above. The clutch failed after 15,000 miles. In an era when warranties are longer for most products and responsible manufacturers know that service begats loyalty and repeat business, I was astonished to hear that BMW, in their sole opinion, have determined that I don't know how to drive despite 40 years of doing so without losing a clutch. This is at best, slimy, at worst fraudulent. My question for the forum is has anyone tried suing these guys? I'm going to do it in small claims court and all these postings shall help a lot. The money's significant ($1900) but honestly, it's about justice. Cold day in hell when I buy another BMW product regardless. In the absence of experiences shared by others regarding lawsuits, I shall not fail to put down my experience in going after these crooks.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
My MINI is ok but my Freelander 2 which is 2 years old had the clutch start slipping at 45000 miles.
Ive never had another clutch wear out prior to this and the last car, Jaguar, did 120000 miles and still going.
The Freelander has a dual mass flywheel and the cause was put down to that eventually. The dealer did say initially it wasnt very common to have them go at such a low mileage but you only have the read the Land Rover forums to see it is very very common.
The dealer said if when they dismantled it the cause was just wear I would have to pay, but it turned out to be a manufacturing fault so was done under warranty, the dealer then said, it was happening quite often, so a change of tune, and there is a kit especially for doing the job, which they never mentioned to start with.
Tell the dealer to look on the forum and let them know also you know what youre talking about, works wonders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Countryman Clutch Burnt

Well I too now find myself joining the long list of unhappy Countryman owners. A burnt clutch after 35,000kms and BMW will not cover the cost despite the car still being under warranty. How is this possible? They are billing me €1700 for the repair. I am very interested to hear from anyone who has successfully gotten BMW to pay for this and how. My dealer in southern Spain is not cooperating they simply refer me to Mini Spain head office Madrid. It is a poorly designed transmission and it has been documented in several automobile magazines. Mini has now redesigned the clutch for all Countryman models Nov-2012 onwards so there was obviously a problem. I feel like I have been ripped off and completely scammed by BMW. They know there is a problem, they fix the problem on new models yet I pay to fix the problem on my model.

This stinks and I'm not finished with them yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts