MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any Ontarians going to/been to the Toronto International Auto Show?

I'll be attending it with my Dad, tomorrow.

I'll be armed with a digital camera and will take many, many pictures of the Cooper 'S'.

I also received a call from my dealer, earlier this week. I told them I'll wait until after the auto show before I decide on options/colour, etc. Besides, there's no rush, as they won't be ordering any Cooper S' until April.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just got back from the show. They had 4 cars there. 2 Cooper S' and 2 Coopers. The Cooper S' were dark silver and electric blue. The coopers were Silver with black roof, and yellow with black roof i think. I am sure it was black roof. Having a hard time remembering because being around the cars was making me feel like I was on drugs. Not to mention the large amount of really good looking women around the car. haha.

The Dark silver S was pretty much fully loaded except for the Nav System. It retailed for $34K I think. The electric blue was about $31K I think I remember.

Oh yeah. Those really nice looking wheels ( you know the ones on that sport packaged "one" in Frankfurt. Those are $6000 for them. I thought I was going crazy when I saw that one of the coopers was retailing for $34000. But then I noticed the wheels were most of the price. Yikes!

Really nice to see it in the flesh. I wanted to sit there all day and play with the thing. The dealers seemed really impressed with how much I knew about the car. Pretty funny. I seemed to know more than some guy who BMW sent over from Germany. haha. Hope you all go down to see it. I got a brochure as well. Yippie!

Now I have to start to learn how to use a manual transmission! I had a lesson from a friend today. I think I should be ok by the time I need to pick it up!

I took lots of pictures and will post some really soon. Probably monday!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm definately going, but I think I'll try to go sometime next week, late morning or early afternoon.

I got my first fix at the Detroit Auto Show, so I don't need to be the first one there. I hope it settles down a bit, and I can spend some time sitting in one. NAIAS 2002 was just too crazy.

I also have a digital camera, so I'll take requests if there's anything anyone missed. I know I kicked myself for forgetting a few things the first time.

Good to hear everyone likes the show. Hope they don't run out of pamphlets before I get there.

Someone post all the details on the CDN prices please!

·
Registered
147 Posts
noahe said:
Someone post all the details on the CDN prices please!
I was there today as well. I didn't get too much on pricing aside from base: Cooper is $24,950 (which we've known for a couple weeks) and the Cooper S is $29,650.

The booth was packed, which I figured it would be. I was a bit disappointed by the small number of cars, but it was nice to see an electric blue S for the first time. It's really nice, but I still think I'm going for dark silver/white.

Shawn
PS: got my plates in the mail yesterday: SYZMATRS :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I went to the show on Saturday.

The Mini area rocked! I love how they had a DJ spinning house music, and hot girls standing around the Minis.

I was very disappointed that they didn't have a red Mini there for me to see in real life. (Probably because they had a red one at the show last year). In my opinion, red doesn't look flattering in photographs and looks MUCH better in real life. - or so I hope. P.S. Why is it next to impossible to find pictures of a red Cooper 'S' on the internet?! I want to compare a red 'S' to a DS 'S'.

I had my heart set out on a red Cooper 'S' w/white roof, but after I saw (and sat in) a Dark Silver Cooper 'S', I'm having a very hard time deciding between the two. :(

To my surprise, one of the Mini reps there informed me that we won't have the white wheels as an option - at least not right away.(In Canada) If that's the case, then I won't be getting a red Mini, as I wanted white 5-spoke wheels with it. I'll have to decide on a Dark Silver one w/S-spokes.

I don't know who to believe. I keep hearing different rumours from different people. The guy at the show who told me about not being able to get white wheels right away was from the BMW Canada head office, in Whitby, Ontario. He said he was informed of the news just a couple of days prior. I guess he'd be a more credible source, as he's from head office.

Also, another Mini rep at the show told me that I wouldn't see my Cooper 'S' til late Summer/early Fall. While another one said May.

I just want the truth!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Boy, that's bad news. I only want the white rims. I wonder how long a wait it will be. If anyone hears more, please post.

Thank-you for the info. I so hope this is wrong.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't want to believe the guy.

I hope he's wrong, too. :eek:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I talked with some of the people there as well. They said they were going to offer the white wheels at first and see how they held up with our climate. I told them they must keep them. They are alright as long as you clean them often. They seemed to agree with me. I really want the white wheels. Then in the winter they will match our canadian scenery!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see what their concern over the white wheels is.

It's not like it's paint. They're powder-coated, aren't they?

Someone please enlighten me as to how the white wheels are painted, and how durable they may or may not be.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Jayomatic said:
....I really want the white wheels. Then in the winter they will match our canadian scenery!
Sure, when clean they'll match the color of driven snow. But in short order, don't you think those wheels will soon match the nice gray color of city slush! :p :p :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will be taking the white wheels off and switching them with basic steel wheels during Winter, anyways. I'm not going to risk hitting a curb when I slip on ice.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well, it is a valid concern. However, how many people who opt for the super low-profile 16" or 17" rims are going to drive those same, expensive rims in deep snow laiden with salt and sand. That not so clever.

I had really wide, low profile rims on the Integra. Even with fresh all-season tires, it's a suicide mission everytime you go to the grocery store.

My MINI will have a second set of winter rims, shod with winter rubber. Absolutely. Now, best case scenerio, I'll get a set of the 15" MINI alloys with the holes in them, then we'll see how the white holds up.

The concern is the scrubbing action of deep snow, and the particulates in it working against the wheel like an abrasive. The higher side wall profile the tire has, the better your chances.

Besides, that is mostly a rural area concern. We get deep snow like that in Toronto, what? Like 3-4 times a winter? Drive with caution, drive something else, or stay home for those few days. The MINI dosen't exactly strike me as a tractor in winter... I'll keep mine safely in the garage during the really bad days. Mind you, I used to drive a Mustang GT Cobra in the snow, so this whole 'sensible' kick I'm on is new to me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget the salt in winter, and the sand/debris that gets mixed with snow and slush. - all bad for painted wheels.

·
Registered
147 Posts
SomeBlondeGuy said:
I was very disappointed that they didn't have a red Mini there for me to see in real life
I was at MINI Durham this past weekend (BMW Canada in Whitby). It's very convenient for me, being a Whitby resident myself :)

Sitting out in the open in their parking lot they had:

1 Red/White Cooper
1 Green/White Cooper
1 Black/White Cooper, with 17" S-spokes
1 Black/Black Cooper
2 Silver/Black Coopers
1 Dark Silver/White Cooper S

...and that's just what I remember seeing from memory. Have a drive 'round--there's lots to see.

BTW: I was told to expect a potential May delivery of the Cooper S.

Did anyone get any option prices from the show?

Shawn

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got an otion price list from the show. I don't have it here with me at work, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts