MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...apart from Racer of course :)

I just found this site, thank goodness, and it's great to see so many enthusiasts. Nicely put-together site, too.

Anyway, I'm one of the 25 eejits in for this Challenge, (just paid my deposit, delivery in March apparently), and wondered if there were any others site members doing it (and maybe also kakking themselves at the thought :) ).

Say Racer, have you done any motorsport before? Any tips for a novice?

Andy

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Andy

Knew if I waited long enough someone as daft as me would come along !

Never done anything as serious as this before dabled a bit here and there - more in support than driving - My biggest tip - (apart from don't eat yellow snow) is don't close your wallet just yet!

I did know one other person entering plus I met a guy at Stand21UK (Racewear) but so far not come across anyone on the site.

Now there's at least two of us perhaps we could persuade Paul to add a section for Club Sports under the makes area.

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Racer

My wallet's already undergoing therapy :) - I ordered my JCC Stand21 racesuit last week (you getting one too then?), bought some booties at the same time, bought a helmet & some gloves at GrandPrixRacewear yesterday, going for my ARDS test in a couple of weeks (do you have a licence already?) - now just thinking about race insurance/becoming best buddies with my local panel beaters...all in all, not a cheap experience. Still, if the excitement of actually racing is anything like the anticipation, it'll be worth it... Have you thought about getting sponsorship from somewhere?

Me, I've been on a few trackdays in my Griffith 500 and done the usual indoor karting, but nothing like this. Sad thing is, the Griff's got to go :(

I met a fellow entrant at JCW when I was placing my initial deposit, who said he'd done quite a bit of motorbike racing. Apart from that, no-one else, so it's good to have someone to chat to - hopefully others will join in after the first Goodwood meet.

Nice idea to have a Club Sport/Challenge section - do you have any sway with Paul?

Cheers

Andy

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
TVRman said:
Hi Racer

My wallet's already undergoing therapy :) - I ordered my JCC Stand21 racesuit last week (you getting one too then?),............Nice idea to have a Club Sport/Challenge section - do you have any sway with Paul?

Cheers

Andy
Andy

Got an EVO 6 Makinen which also sadly has to go :(

You doing your ARDS at Goodwood ? on the 15 th ?

As I said I've had some experience of the business and I think you'll find it kinda tough getting sponsorship for a new one make / novice

Much of sponsorship issues revolve around the profile of the event as opossed to the driver - sure people want thedir logos on winning cars but they also want them to be seen time and again in the mags/on tv etc.

I hope JCW have genrally got their act together on everything I suspect it's going to be a huge amount of fun if they have and a little stressful if they haven't

Did you drive a Club Sport before you put your deposit down ??

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Racer said:

You doing your ARDS at Goodwood ? on the 15 th ?

Much of sponsorship issues revolve around the profile of the event as opossed to the driver - sure people want thedir logos on winning cars but they also want them to be seen time and again in the mags/on tv etc.

Did you drive a Club Sport before you put your deposit down ??

Yup - see you there on the 15th I guess! I got my medical the other day, so that's one less hurdle...

That's what I'm hoping, that the series will have a high enough profile (TV coverage being talked about etc) that sponsors might be interested, even in a newbie like me - some hope, I realise, but you don't ask, you don't get!

Nope - but I had a go in a JCW car, with apparently the same suspension, exhaust, air filter, just not the head work - so I guess it was kinda similar. There wasn't a CS car available, was there?

What colour you going for? I went for boring red for ease of crash repair :) And, have you driven at any of the venues? I score a big 0 out of 8 for that one. I've been round Brands, Castle Combe, and a load of airfields with Easytrack, but I've only been round Silverstone & Snetterton on TOCA2!

Shame about the Evo - got a buyer yet?

A

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
TVRman said:

Yup - see you there on the 15th I guess! I got my medical the other day, so that's one less hurdle...

That's what I'm hoping, that the series will have a high enough profile (TV coverage being talked about etc) that sponsors might be interested, even in a newbie like me - some hope, I realise, but you don't ask, you don't get!

Nope - but I had a go in a JCW car, with apparently the same suspension, exhaust, air filter, just not the head work - so I guess it was kinda similar. There wasn't a CS car available, was there?

What colour you going for? I went for boring red for ease of crash repair :) And, have you driven at any of the venues? I score a big 0 out of 8 for that one. I've been round Brands, Castle Combe, and a load of airfields with Easytrack, but I've only been round Silverstone & Snetterton on TOCA2!

Shame about the Evo - got a buyer yet?

A

Drive one ! I didn't even go there to pay my deposit :)

Went for Red for exactly the same reason :) :)

Now I am reliably informed (brother-in-law races Alfas) that knowing the courses in TOCA2 is a distinct advantage - Hence my excuse for being stuck in front of it all weekend:) Make sure you set the front suspension hard back soft and use the Vectra and it's almost like the real thing

No buyers yet (well unless you count delears who are falling over themselves - just they seem to have forgotten to bring their wallets with them) although re-advertised Tuesday all depends on when CS is delivered as to how cheap I let it go.

How much will you miss the sound of your griff ?:( :(

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
looks like you better get the GT3 for the PS2 so you can both get some practice in :) :) You know we'd all love to see both of you spraying the champers :D :D
You should team up & race against each other :D :D :D

Good luck lads. Who will be the 1st to say 'see you at the finish line' :D :D :D

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Smiffy!

Spraying Champers???!!! Drowning sorrows in a pint of shandy is more likely as far as I'm concerned - can't speak for Racer of course :)

How about "See you in the gravel trap!" instead?

Racer - I went for a spin in the Griff today (almost literally, as usual in the wet :) ), and I must say I wondered if I was doing the right thing. Then I figured, I've had the Griff for a couple of years now, novelty's worn off slightly, time for a new challenge (so to speak), and I can always get another Griff, but there won't be another inaugural JC Challenge, so just get on with it! I'll miss the old girl though... :(

Me and a couple of mates went to see a chap called Don Palmer for his Creative Car Control Course a few weeks back, up at Bruntingthorpe - one in his new M3, the other in his Evo6 GSX (?) - both v impressive. The Evo went round corners like they weren't there, while the Griff was back end out all over the place - good fun, but not as quick. Bet you'll miss the speed of the Evo, too...

fyi Richard de Jong at JCW was saying the other day that there were (from memory so rough guesses) 5 red, 6 green, 5 black, 4 blue, 4 silver, and 1 yellow - or something like that.

So, how will I recognize you on the 15th?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
He'll he the driver being sick in his helmet, or he might say that you will only know its him because you'll get used to seeing the back of his car :D :D :D :D

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Ta for the encouragement smiffy

Going to miss the EVO bad - Biggest problem is I think I'm going to try and drive the MINI like an EVO and either me or the MINI are going to be unhappy with the result:)

The guy spinning in the RACMSA video scares the s*** out of me all of a sign he's staring down the track looking in the wrong direction with a dozen ididots like us heading toward him ! ahhh Anyone want to buy a CLub Sport:D

Smiffy I'll dedicate my first win to you - just keep your eye on the TV (roundabout April 2006:D )

Andy - I'll Private Message you re 15th - I've sent you one re insurance as well

I might just arrange a TOCA2 challenge and charge say $17K to enter :D :D

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the MSA video (that you get with your licence application form, to teach you the flags and stuff) - I like the guy in the Fiesta coming down Craner Curves at Doningon, minding his own business. Suddenly, the back end steps out, he slams on the anchors (BAD move!) and the car ends up rolling all by itself, all the way down the track - no other cars involved at all, no kerb hit or anything - just from getting the braking wrong while going downhill and round a bend. Good lesson...

So thanks for the insurance tip Racer! :)

Andy

PS Smiffy - I don't think recognizing Racer cos he's the car in front is going to narrow it down much - but thanks anyway :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
TVRman said:
Cheers Smiffy!

Me and a couple of mates went to see a chap called Don Palmer for his Creative Car Control Course a few weeks back, up at Bruntingthorpe - one in his new M3, the other in his Evo6 GSX (?) - both v impressive. The Evo went round corners like they weren't there, while the Griff was back end out all over the place - good fun, but not as quick. Bet you'll miss the speed of the Evo, too...

Andy
had fun with Don in the past in the Elise, man is a nutter

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
so whats the calander for the year then guys?

would come and watch u and buy a few beers for after

if things go well this year i would look at joining u lads next season :D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Good luck lads, do us all proud :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Eliseboy

Here's the full calendar:

3 April Goodwood, West Sussex...Track Day...Non Championship
27 April Wiscombe Park, Devon...Hill Climb...Woolbridge Motor Club
8 June Abingdon Sprint...Sprint...Sutton and Cheam MC
22 June Gurston Down, Wilts...Hill Climb...BARC (SW)
28 July Silverstone, National...Race...750 Motor Club
18 August Bovingdon, Wareham...Sprint...Woolbridge Motor Club
15 Sept Snetterton...Race...750 Motor Club
20 October Mallory Park...Race...750 Motor Club

It'd be great if you (& Smiffy & anybody else :) ) could come along to any - let us know if you can make it. Promise not to take the mickey though...

There's more info on the JCW site here & here if anyone's interested.

Thnaks for the support guys - maybe I should have a MINI2.com sticker appearing somewhere on the car :). Anybody else out there taking part?

Andy

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Paul

A dedicated section would be great! I'm sure it'd be very helpful for the entrants to have somewhere to get advice from other competitors - it's been excellent for me just to have Racer to talk to.

Richard de Jong at JCW might be happy to tell everyone about the site straight away, or failing that, Racer & I can pass it on at the first meeting in April.

We could also organize a meet for MINI2 members at some/all of the events, and I'd be happy to do a quick write up after each event if you think anyone would be interested.

Let me know if I can do something. V nice site btw - got any stickers made up? :)

Andy

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Hi

Look under meetings and events TVRman.

I posted a suggestion for a meet to support you and Racer on April the 3rd already. ;) ;) ;)

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doh! Thanks - just posted on that thread too.

See you all at some stage then!

A

1 - 20 of 29 Posts