MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a Woodstock D54 head unit into the car and there is a good step by step on how to do that part of it. But I was wondering if anyone has a 'How to install an interior mount on glass DAB ariel'?

Also is it possible to get a long enough ariel lead to mount it in one of the rear passenger windows?

Or Should I just pay someone for the job? If so does anyone know a good stereo installer near Bath / Swindon?

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Are you getting the interior mount aerial? I've got an external glass mount and the reception is great, put it on the rear window, top right corner. That was a piece of cake to fit, and run the cable.

The panels will all come off very easily for you to run the cables through. Just be very gentle with them otherwise you might break the plastic retainer clips.

·
Now in Hot Orange
36 Posts
bgw said:
I'm looking to install a Woodstock D54 head unit into the car and there is a good step by step on how to do that part of it.
Exactly the radio I've been looking at getting for my MCSC when it arrives (in Nov), do you know if one of the 4096 shades of the display approaches that the the mini dash?

Also, anyone know if this kind of aerial is any good (http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/shop.php?category=/dab/blaupunkt/&product=673)?

I'm thinking it would be less obvious than the little box type, especially as I'll only have the windscreen to mount it to!

Simon.,

·
Registered
506 Posts
ButtonIt said:
The panels will all come off very easily for you to run the cables through. Just be very gentle with them otherwise you might break the plastic retainer clips.
Are you referring to the large vertical cream coloured panels which run up behind the back seats? Did you have to remove any of the roof headlining to conceal the wire? I've got a DAB Woodstock, but am useless at doing things like this :rolleyes:

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
The roof lining stays put, but I removed the back seats, the cream panels at the back and the side pods (grey bits in the rear passenger compartment, hides the speakers etc.)

Also took up the front door sills (grey bits on the inside) to run the cable. It took a couple of hours, but I was careful and it was no real hassle. Some of the plastic bits are sharp and you may cut your fingers a bit trying to wiggle panels off etc. But no big deal ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
right, thank you i may try and attempt this when feeling brave, i doesnt sound too complicated if done carefully. I currently have the wire crudely running down the sides of the seats / under the floor mats and into the bottom of the dash - was too scared to start taking panels off :p

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Be gently forceful... if that makes any sense?? :confused:

I mean, you need to be strong with the panels, but avoid jerky or sudden movements. You know what I mean?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got a quote for Fitting DAB Kit

I was getting too board of listening to the only cassette I could dig out so I'm getting a quick upgrade - Sextons(Bath) are going to do it for £500 for Woodstock DAB54 head unit including ariel (fitted on rear passenger window) adapters, fitting etc. This friday 06/08/2004 :confused: I'll let you know how good a job they do. I think it's a bit expensive but still it's piece of mind, unless they make a mess of it!

Cardiff Car audio centre would of done it for £495.

And to buy and fit myself the cheapest would of been £370 + adapters + p&p + a couple of visits to nearest halford for bits I forgot or worse still a visit to Mini dealership for new bits!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Word of warning BGW - I've currently got mine on the right back passenger window, and it creates a really annoying wind whistle when travelling over 55mph - so much so im going to move it onto the back window.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMT said:
Word of warning BGW - I've currently got mine on the right back passenger window, and it creates a really annoying wind whistle when travelling over 55mph - so much so im going to move it onto the back window.

Appologies....I'm actually going to for an interior glass mounted one. Good point though for anyone thinking of the standard mount on glass version it comes with.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ButtonIt said:
The interior has less signal pick up than the exterior ;)

Good point, how do you find you FM/AM reception looking at your piccie you have the SATNAV, which means that you have the rear window ariel? If it's really bad then I might save up for a duplex beesting ariel approx. £140.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woodstock DAB54 Installed

Well I finally got the unit installed and it seems to work a treat. They installed a tax disc ariel to the unit and it seems to work a treat apart from when I go into the little valleys around Bath and it can be very annoying.

As for the head unit itself it fit in nicely and cycling through the display colours found the one to match the mini console lights. I'll try and get a picture of the head unit and ariel.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
11 Participants
andy65
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing