Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if it wasnt motorised were did u set it up,pix etc would be great

gav

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Yes, there was a MINI at Gaydon with a motorised TV in it if I remember correctly :rolleyes: :rolleyes: No pictures though :(
The cars a barrel of fun any way so why would you need a TV in the 1st place :confused: :confused: :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah dudes... Had a look at some screen options...
Regarding motorised screen options - Problem I found with a lot of them was that they flipped up too high and ended up obscuring too much of the speedo... esp. the motorised "DVD" heads.

The VDO/Clarion unit was the best, as it was hinged 1/4 of the way up, so therefore didn't cover the speedo - it also appeared to pivot further away from the dash, leaving enough clearance to get it fully open... Couldn't comment on the aforementioned units, as to whether they would be hindered in fully opening.

We experimented with a non motorised screen, but it was virtually imposs... You can get an obscured view from the hole in the centre-column front of the gearstick.

Alternatively, you could sling it on the passenger-side of the centre-column, but it kinda gets in the way of your passenger.... sort of where they suggest the MINI phone handset goes.

S'pose another option would be to put it right on top of the dash - you could run the wires through the hole in the centre of the dash between the de-mister vents.... Be a pig to feed them up there though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Swedish Clarion Mini

Go and have a look at the Swedish Clarion distributor's Mini equipped with two screens. One is a motorised dashmounted one and the other is mounted in the roof for rear seat passengers.

www.clarion.se

Click on the silver Mini and then you can choose different kinds of pictures.

//Ackel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi!

I have fitted a motorized diplay by pioneer, you can see the whole speedo except engine temperature and fuel gauge. My gallery shows some pics

Cheers, Mini-Fan

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
MINI-Fan your MINI looks superb :cool: :eek: :cool: :cool:
I havent seen that (GEAR) knob before :D :D :D :D
Ohh yeah, your keyrings HUGE :D :D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
personally I don't know any Transvestites well enough to invite them into my car..and just think of all the hassle of clearing up the sequins afterwards??;);)

Oh come on...SOMEONE must have been thinking the same thing..:)...I think I need to have another lie down....:confused::eek:

·
Registered
208 Posts
SCREENS

ok screens,

you can not get a headunit screen which folds out that does no obscure the speedo in some way or another, e.g. clarion one, (on that website)

the OE Din slot is ideal (apart from covering prcentage of speedo who cares as long as u can c 70 limit in time for camera)

the other option is the roof mount but only good for rear passengers,

the way forward whould be sunvisor screens? pukka when down, and hidden when up? all u need is a PS2 and u have dvd and gaming,

personally i dont rate the clarion as its features are daisy chained, where as the alpine and kennys are not,

Tom

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The pictured shifter is from the CVT automatic transmission.

Am I missing something, or why is it important if the screen does or does not cover the speedo. If you're watching TV or a DVD or playing a video game, you're not actually driving at the time, are you?!

Certainly a cool gadget, in a sort of James Bond sort of way, but I can't see why you'd need one in your car, and certainly not in the front seat. Does this little flip screen thing do everything, including CD and radio? Does it have to flip out to play music? Are they expensive? Sorry, I guess I don't get it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: SCREENS

mini-mini said:
ok screens,

you can not get a headunit screen which folds out that does no obscure the speedo in some way or another, e.g. clarion one, (on that website)
Aha - Well, there's more than one Clarion unit - The one at Gaydon was the same design as the VDO Dayton unit (rebadged Clarion) - It hinges about 2/3 of the way up, so you can still see the fuel and temp. guages albeit with the lower 1/4 obscured.
It normally is used to display a road map.
Wish I could find a scanner - have some interior shots.

J.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My cousin does TV installations.

I was told best thing to do in a MINI was go through the top of the dash and have one that pops up!

Sounds cool, but costly!

·
Registered
342 Posts
might have just found the perfect alternative for those who opt to get the satnav system.... these people make kits that allow you to use the LCD screen of the satnav as a monitor, and it appears to have a built in tv-tuner as well.

Costly but then so would the alternatives, and you get gps out of it too.

No mention of MINI's but they do it for BMW's, I'm sure the systems must be similar.

http://www.NAV-TV.com/main.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts