MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a MK3 Golf 2.0L owner and I am wondering the impresions from those who have owned/driven both. How much better does the Mini handle than a VW? Any difference in acceleration? etc.
Thanks

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
soloKev said:
I am a MK3 Golf 2.0L owner and I am wondering the impresions from those who have owned/driven both. How much better does the Mini handle than a VW? Any difference in acceleration? etc.
Thanks
Being a VW nut I think I sort of qualify, I have owned/driven golfs for years.

In the handling department the Mini wins hands down on any golf I have ever driven, it just has such a good chassis:)

Performance well compared to a Golf 2.0L I would say they are on par but it is hard to say. The Mini Cooper is not rapid but it is not bad. However, my dad's Golf GTi 1.8Turbo would leave it for dead.

Build quality, I personally still think VW are streets ahead. The Mini's is good but not as good as my dads Golf, not as solid. On my car at least, parts of the finish are not as you would expect from a German car. But it is early days and should get better. I think the fact that it is built in the UK doesn't help matters.

All in all I would say the new Mini is a bargain. I have driven allot of cars but I have never driven one that is as much fun to drive as the new Mini.

Hope that helps.

LMB:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am currently driving a MKII Golf GTI 16V. This car is huge fun to drive and sounds great, partly due to the fact I've added some wider wheels, Spax suspension and a full Magnex Stainless exhaust system. I take it on track days and usually on the quater mile sprint on the Club GTI National Day.

Although this is all great fun it is starting to die slowly, partly due to fact it now has 179,000 miles on the clock which is quite alot for a 1991 car. I have been looking to change it for a little while now and as soon as I saw the new mini I had to have one.

It looks totally different from anything on the road, and I'm also one of those people who have always wanted a Mini Cooper but could never quite fit in the old one.

I thought the standard Cooper was great on the test drive but opted for the Cooper S as I wanted something quicker than my golf. Plus the fact that the only new VW Golf that was quicker to 60 was the new 4 Motion and that's only by 0.3 secs. Roll on the delivery day.:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have previously owned 9 VW`s including, Corrado VR6, Golf VR6, Golf 1.8T and Golf V5.

I bought my Mini because I fancied a bit of a change and I wanted to down size and reduce costs. My next car is likely to be another VW, probably a 150 bhp PD Golf. Let me explain.

I like my Mini but the quality is not what I`d expected, sure it handles well and makes me smile but as an ownership prospect I think it`ll drive me crazy pretty soon. I`ll keep it for about a year or so.

This drifting/pulling to the left thing is starting to really get on my stones now, my local BMW dealer will not accept that it is a widespread problem (although they admit mine does drift) and just dismissed the comments on this site as rumours! They also refused to give me a copy of their technicians report which confirms the drift, I only wanted it so I had a written admission of the problem.

I`ll be looking back to Wolfsburg for my next car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why will it drive you crazy? Just because it pulls to the left and the quality is not as good as you think, or are there other factors you have not mentioned?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another opinion:

I have test driven a Golf 1.8T (150bhp)with sports suspension and previous to my mini I owned an A4 1.8T (same engine but marginally quicker than the Golf).

Handling - no competition the Mini is light years ahead followed by the A4 and the Golf somewhere behind that.

Acceleration - A4 leading, Golf 1.8T, Mini cooper. I suspect that a 2.0L Golf would be similar to the Mini or maybe slightly slower.
I would dissagree with the comment about the Golf 1.8T leaving the mini for dead. Yes it's quicker to 60mph but there is not a lot in it. The 1.8T engine really flies if in the right gear at the right speed but I have found the mini's acceleration more usable than the figures would suggest when trying to overtake. So my opinion is, if it straight line acceleration from a standing start, or 40 -60 mph acceleration your are after the 1.8T engione is great. But I find the mini almost as good because there are times when I would be waiting for the 1.8T engine to get into the powerband and that doesn't really happen with the Mini.
Maybe my Mini engine is just a good example? maybe it is because it was gentley run in? maybe I just don't notice the difference as much as I ought to?

As for the build quality, my Mini feels as solid as the A4 or Golf, but there are certainly some problems occuring on other examples of the Mini relating to build quality. I have had one electrical problem with my October built cooper and having worked in a car dealer for a year this is significantly less than I expected for a newly developed car.

My opinion is the Mini is the business, but if you can wait that long you might be advise to postpone a purchase until the summer when demand isn't quite as high as it has been in the initial months and they have had chance to strenghten the quality control on the production line.

I am still VERY happy with mine but would be less smiley if I had had some of the trouble that I have seen in the faults and fixes section of this forum

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Some good comments coming in.
As I read some post I wonder if I should get rid of my seemingly bullet proof VW. Some people have had enormous problems with their MINI's, but they look so good and have technology that would seem to be superior to a lot of cars. We in the States don't have the options of 206's or Lupo GTI's etc.
I am learning a lot about BMW's committment to its customers, some say they have an easy time while other get the run around.

Here is a BMW story I ran across (long)
http://forums.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46m3/forum.php?postid=276015&page=1

·
Registered
13 Posts
VW are now very boring,

I've had all types of Polo and Golf and I cannot forget my first GTI 1983 with the 1,8 engine !

I'm trading a golf IV TDI 110 with 5 doors that is driving my wife and sitting my 13 month baby, for a small Cooper with no room for anything. Silly ?

But the TDI is fast but no fun and as a second car I want a grinning drive ! No matter the power what imports is the pleasure.

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Just a note about the Mnis capabilites

official bmw times 0-60 = 9.2secs

magazine times 0-60 = 8.5secs

owners that ran their engines in properly have had a timing or just under 8sec...lowest so far 7.8secs!

Hope that clears up some stuff about its performances, and another, prperly ran in engines get upto speed of =+130mph

See ya guys

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well if it's grins that are important then the Mini is THE car. The only other car I driven in the same leauge for making me smile was the AUDI TT 225 Quattro ......at twice the price !

....still wondering whether to trading my cooper in though next year.......for a Cooper S.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am a VW fan, particularly of the old flat 4 models.

I drove a 1.8T Golf, not for me. The turbo is great for acceleration but not for low down city driving. The Golf is victim of its own success - the cars are very commonplace. This does mean good re-sale potential and high residual.

I though about a new Beetle (having owned an old Karmann Ghia), but it was too kitch IMHO. The dash was too large and the interior just didn't feel right.

The MINI was the answer because:

* value for money
* fun factor (handling, style, sunroof)
* bespoke orders - means longer supply times = good demand for used cars.
* low low insurance group:D :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Garry,

You say that the 1.8T Golf is good for acceleration but not for low down city driving? The 1.8 turbo engine in the Golf is excellent low down, it produces 155 lb ft of torque from about 1750 rpm! You can leave a Golf 1.8T in fifth gear to get up hills that would have a Mini in forth.

I also found that the Golf was much more economical than the Cooper, i could get an easy 35/36 mpg on a run in the Golf compared to 32/33 mpg in the Mini.

howeib,
Yes it`s the pulling and the poor build quality that will drive me crazy, and the BMW dealer`s reluctance/inability to get them sorted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not agree at all

I had an Audi A3 1,8 T and you have to admit it's better than the golf, but this car whas all except a sports car.

In fact you don't even feel the turbo, the engine is flat from 1000 rpm to 7000. Switch off the AC and then you go from 0 to 60 in 8 but you don't even fell it.

I loved this car for motorway (in france without your traffic), but it was pretty unconforable for the lack of suspension it has.

Probably the best small car for fast miles to do but Not for traffic and city !

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hmmmmm a car for the traffic and city? I suppose the Mini would handle that .........never thought of trying it though, too busy having fun on country roads. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
MINI frog,

Sorry buddy but the A3 1.8T (which I also owned) is not marketed as a sports car, the reason you didn`t feel the turbo is because VW/Audi didn`t want you to feel it. It`s a small,low inertia turbo unit.
Oh, and I didn`t think it was better than the Golf either, just different. It was smaller inside, more expensive and not as responsive as the particular golf I had.

Apart from that you were spot on........:confused:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I own a couple of VWs - a Corrado VR6 and Beetle. Have owned an 85 GTI as well. Friends are S4, A4, Jetta 1.8T and Corrado VR6/G60 guys so I get to ride in the whole spectrum of the VW/Audi group in the US.

Anyway, the build / interior quality of a new VW/Audi cannot be beaten. No contest there. But the MINI comes close. Where the Golf blends into the landscape and may look a bit bland, the MINI is interesting. So, in my mind, it is a small trade-off in quality (very small) for a more interesting / fun car.

Fact of the matter is that (in the US at least), VW has gone decidely away from the sporty nature it used to have. Also, I think the interior of the 'S' seemed a bit higher quality to the touch / eye given all the metal bits in place of plastic ones in the Cooper / ONE.

Jason

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am not sure I agree about the VW 1.8 Turbo engine being poor at city driving. I have driven several Golf 1.8T's and my company car is a Passat 1.8T Sport (I know 'boring', but it does come in handy when the MINI is too small.)

The turbo allows for very flexible driving, pulling from 1500 rpm in top gear with no effort at all. The torque figures are not out of this world but just look at how low down the rev range they come in.

I know that BHP figures get all of the press, but in the real world it is torque, and the way it is delivered that really counts. I am sure the supercharger will provide similar advantages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Golf 2 MINI

We went from a 94 VR6 Golf to the MINI.

I'm not sure about all these people that must have driven Bentleys before changing to the MIN but I found the standard of build to be excellent.

Compared to the Golf the MIN is gloriously solid and quiet and with the Chilli Pack it handles so much better, the brakes are better, the interior space (at least in the front) is much better, it's generally much more fun(though not as fast).

As far as the 'Standard' Mini problems are concerned we've had none of them. I'm sure there are a few cars with genuine problems, but any car with low profile tyres will track in apparently invisible wheelruts and will almost certainly drift with the camber of the road. Christ you should try to get a TVR to drive in a straight line with your hands off the wheel!!

Bottom line is...

Golf to MINI???

You'll Bl**dy love it!!

Cheers Griff

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I would have to disagree with some of the comments on the 1.8t motors. Maybe because I am used to the 2.slow, the few cars I have driven (1.8t GTI and Jetta) seemed like rockets. Could've run the A/C and still embarrased my car.
My biggest problem with the new VW's are they are so portly. If we could get Polo's and Lupo's here I would have a real decision to make.

I have contacted a MINI dealer in the next state since our dealer took all the names and no deposits. He now has 500+ people on the list and told me I could get a car in the next 4 years :rolleyes: yeah I'll wait. bbwwaahhahaa So I may have to make a mini vacation out of getting a MINI... no pun intended. I have to check to see there are no warranty implications first though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
soloKev,

Remember, the Mini is no lightweight, it weighs about the same as a 1.6 Golf Mk4!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts