MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know mini people dont like auto.. but i really need auto transmission..
is it still great? or is it not worth buying mini if i was to get auto?
answer my questions please.. me first timer here.. so i want some warm comments!
im scared.. :(
and if anyone has got one, can you tell me the price? within U.S?
i kno the estimated price but i want to know the actual price of it..
and i want Purple Haze.. but i dont think i can get it during this year.. mabe like may in next year?
so.. i need some advice here.. PLEASE!! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yea i forgot to ask

if i were to get a mini next year, would i still be able to get Purple Haze?
cuz i heard indigo blue is discontinued.. so just checking.. worried.. =(

·
Registered
67 Posts
I for one love driving the CVT version of this car. As most of my commute is highway and I drive with traffic most of the time, a manual was just not convenient for me...
I do enjoy being able to shift when getting on a highway and also being able to throw the car into SD when needing to pass on the highway.
I haven't driven a manual version but I can say that driving the CVT is extremely fun and I find myself getting into the car to go somewhere just because I enjoy being in my car again. Most of that is because of the fact that the car itself is a MINI.
Do I care that some people look down on the fact that the car is an automatic...no. I love my car and I get a similar ability to shift when I want to, without a clutch - plus having three modes to drive in allows you to "play" more while in the car.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Purple Haze (aka Blacked Eyed Purple outside the US) will be around for a while. It is a new color for MINI so if you purchase in 2005, there shouldn't be any issues with the color not being available.

As far as pricing goes, if you use the Miniusa web site to build your choice of vehicle, you will know what the car costs. Mini's sell for MSRP (unless you are on the West Coast where you may end up paying a dealer premium). Don't expect to see any sort of discount or rebate on the purchase price for several years to come. Another good source of pricing information is the Edmunds web site. Go to new vehicles and pick the Mini. They also provide you with a reasonable estimate the purchase price in your area.

The automatic transmission for the "S" is not out yet -- cars built starting in January will have it as an option, so it may be a while before you can get a detailed review of the car with this transmission. If you are looking at a Cooper with CVT, check out the CVT thread here for details on driving performance and experience.

Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok.. so i live in west coast..

thanks for the replys! it helped me lots and comforted me =)
so i do live in west coast.. oregon state
so waht happens? what do u mean by payin the dealer the premium? does that mean i would have to pay more than the regular price?

·
kgouin
481 Posts
I have a cvt and love it! I don't know how to drive a manual and really don't want to learn. I am just starting to play with the cvt and it is fun! Where I live, there are a lot of real big hills, so every time I go up one, I throw it into SD and it climbs the hills great! I have just started playing around with the steptronics mode and from what I understand, I can't mess anything up because the computer won't let you. You will like the cvt much better than regular automatics. The price for cvt is on miniusa.com. I am not sure if the price has gone up but I paid somewhere around $1300 or not much more than that and my MINI is an '05.

·
Administrator
4,990 Posts
happihana said:
thanks for the replys! it helped me lots and comforted me =)
so i do live in west coast.. oregon state
so waht happens? what do u mean by payin the dealer the premium? does that mean i would have to pay more than the regular price?
A lot of the dealerships out here do charge more than MSRP, especially in California. I'm not sure about the one in Portland's pricing policy, but I've heard good things about them as a dealership in general. There are a couple of dealership's in CA that charge MSRP, but there is usually a considerable waiting period to get a car from them.
As for the transmission I've been driving my CVT for over two years now and I love it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sejanus said:
A lot of the dealerships out here do charge more than MSRP, especially in California. I'm not sure about the one in Portland's pricing policy, but I've heard good things about them as a dealership in general. There are a couple of dealership's in CA that charge MSRP, but there is usually a considerable waiting period to get a car from them.
As for the transmission I've been driving my CVT for over two years now and I love it.
A common term for it is "price gouging". Don't worry, there are many folks that beat this by ordering from out of state dealers. You can pick up the car and drive it home, or even have it delivered.

Wait 'til the Cooper S automatics come out and do a test drive comparison between that and the Cooper CVT. That should tell you which is better for your needs.

I am a diehard manual transmission person, but the most important thing for you is to get the car that will satisfy your needs and wants.

Best of luck with your choice,

Rawhyde

1 - 9 of 9 Posts