MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Feb built MINI Cooper has the stock airbox, though I did put a K&N drop-in filter in it a year and a half ago. A little while ago the car started making a bad buzzing noise under load. At first they thought it was the exhaust heat shield, then the dash but today they fixed it and the culprit was a cracked airbox. Luckily just the bottom was cracked so no air was bypassing the filter but I wonder how that could have happened? It was covered under warranty so I assume it wasn't a stone tossed up by the wheels or something similar. Would the plastic fatigue that soon?

Anyways, with the new airbox it is so much quieter it is hard to believe. Rainy today so I can't drive it 'properly' but I wonder if the 'improvised intake' was better or worse on power, gas mileage, etc.??

Anyone else had this?

Harry

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Only me??? Wow, just my luck!

Harry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, where did you buy it? I'm trying to find a new cover for the box.
Indeed,I'm living in Belgium and I've asked my brother in law to change the original air filter (mini cooper 2004) for a K&N. Unfortunately, he broke one of the two retaining lids.
The cover is now attached on 3 points instead of 4.
Do you know where I could find a replacement cover? (In Belgium or on a web shop)

Thanks a lot,
Momo (Brussels)

·
Registered
808 Posts
HarryIndiBlue said:
My 2002 Feb built MINI Cooper has the stock airbox, though I did put a K&N drop-in filter in it a year and a half ago. A little while ago the car started making a bad buzzing noise under load. At first they thought it was the exhaust heat shield, then the dash but today they fixed it and the culprit was a cracked airbox. Luckily just the bottom was cracked so no air was bypassing the filter but I wonder how that could have happened? It was covered under warranty so I assume it wasn't a stone tossed up by the wheels or something similar. Would the plastic fatigue that soon?

Anyways, with the new airbox it is so much quieter it is hard to believe. Rainy today so I can't drive it 'properly' but I wonder if the 'improvised intake' was better or worse on power, gas mileage, etc.??

Anyone else had this?

Harry
Was about the time of your build that there was a problem discovered with the airboxes.
After fitment they were becoming stressed and after checking all vehicles in the factory, most of them had cracked airboxes which were all replaced. I recall the problem being incorrect fixing torques.
If your box has been unbolted and rebolted, an incorrect torque could cause the same.
If your box has never been unbolted then it could be one of the dodgy lot from back then that was checked but not cracked at the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts