MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start I do love my MIni to drive but the rest of it - I hate with a passion

Has anyone else had the shocks, wheel bearings, bushings all replaced twice? My mileage is now only 23K

Had continuous problems with the passenger and drivers windows not self regulating, when opening and shutting the doors.

Also had problems with rattles coming from underneath the car - which now has turned out to be the catalytic converter which has now been replaced

Then to top it all off the last time the car was in with Mini they left marks on the paintwork on the drivers door - which is now being rebuffed by them!!

I bought the car in january 2003 and the car has been back with the garage about 20 times at this stage - is this the norm with Mini's or have I just got a dud one???

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Unfortunately there are a few people who have had a LOT of problems with thier MINI's. I have been fortunate enough to have gone over a year and 12,500 miles with no issues. Sorry you're having trouble. I lesser soul would have given up by now!

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Just hang in there and one day they will mysteriously disappear. At least that's how I managed to kept being sane with my MC.

I've done some maths and worked out to get a lemon Mini has a probably of 1 in a billion so consider yourself lucky :p

(In all seriousness, just put up with it and accept this as a result of British's fine automobile industry can spat out on the production line...no wonder it's going downhill for decades! For example, my car still pull towards the left but I ignore it completely, same goes for the rattle and the odd airbag light).

·
Registered
284 Posts
No....that many problems is NOT normal. Hope things work out. Imagine what it'd be like to just motor about with NO problems......THAT"S normal.

btw, mine is a January, 2003 build, too. I've had a few normal little glitches here and there but nothing major and all easily fixed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Unfortunately, I've had loads of problems with mine and have had the rear suspension replaced, two new gloveboxes, new alloy wheels, problems with the coolant levels...etc etc, I'm currently waiting for my S, BMW have kindly offered me a sizeable discount aprox £4k. Speak to your dealer, ask for a full record of the works which have been carried out under warranty and then ask that they speak to BMW customer service.

Regards
Christopher

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
What was the problem that caused shocks, bearings and bushings to be replaced? Knowing the problems in addition to the solutions would be helpful. I can't recall anyone having bushings or shocks replaced, and only one bearing. These problems don't sound usual, compared to the gearbox trouble and stumbles and such.

Harry

·
Registered
139 Posts
Put me into that "lucky owners" list as well :mad:

I have had nothing but trouble with my 03 MCS (~28.5 Kmiles and 1.5 year ownership). It has an "April 1" build that, so this must be a bad "April's Fool" joke.

Here are the things that went wrong so far:
- Left rear interior trim (replaced)
- Steering column (replaced)
- Power steering pump (replaced)
- Power steering rack (replaced)
- Window regulators (both sides) (replaced)
- Sun wisor (replaced)
- Glove box (replaced)
- Oil filter housing (replaced)
- Upper right strut mount (replaced)
- Shifter knob (replaced)
- Sunroof rails (replaced)
- PCV hose (replaced)
- Master and Slave Clutch Cylinders (replaced - no cure)
- Entire Clutch Assembly (replaced). The new clutch came with a new set of problems. The engine is very noisy and they think that it may be the new clutch and/or transmission.
- Xenon lights stopped leveling. Will be checked next week.

I did not even write down the constant Yo-Yo-stumble issue (several software upgrades), ratlles, vibrations, etc... Those, I can live with.

I love this car and I try to shut my ears when people around me -including friends and Service Advisers- start to make fun of the frequency of my visits to the dealer. I am getting tired, though. I dont know when I will say "enough is enough".

Here is a question for those that have some experience with the Lemon Law in the states. I live in CA (Los Angeles area). What are the steps to get involved in this? I dont really want to go that route, but you never know what will happen down the road (so to speak).

Thanks for listening to my rant. I can only convey these to people, who are on the same boat with me...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've got a slight creak on my driver seat.

And it stumbled at a junction the other day.

That's all so far.

Sept 04 build, 1800 miles.

Oh, and the black paint seems to be made from chocolate.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
My 01 cooper, now have a 04 cooper S, two gearboxes changes, a new clutch, two new car keys, new window mechanisms, new central locking system, new fan belt, two new upper windscreen seals blow out, petrol cap locked permanently, and several electrical problems, and in 2 and a half years. Oh and dealer scratched the roof cleaning it. Touch wood,my feb 04 S has been hassle free since the begining, apart from getting a plastic bag caught round exhaust.

Ps forgot, the steering column had to be removed and greased as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.