MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ninja
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is quite hard to do, because I don't want people to think differently about myself due some unforseen circumstances, that I didn't realise I had 'till an extremely nasty experience over the weekend.

I'm not begging for attention nor sympathy, I don't work like that so there's no need to show it. I live in what I consider a stable family, so don't be saying my parents are fully responsible for my upbringing and stuff. It's not what's needed.

I'm considering joining some re-hab course to put me back onto the straight and narrow. Currently the drug abuse/addiction is "quite" minor, although on Sunday I was pretty close to going into a coma and has turned my brain into slush, giving me a mental age of 3years old, which I guess isn't too good at all.

My main concern is what it could lead to, the drug i'm currently an addict to is a class C drug in regards to the law, but what's next? Injecting heroin? I don't want that, since I have ambitions and targets like everyone else.

I'm wanting to know what drug re-hab courses entail? How long and how much do they cost, also who should I get into contact with to start the course?

Thanks very much for any information in regards to the matter.

·
Ninja
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, If you want to remain annonymous to the board, you can PM me the details instead, I guarantee your confidentiality will be kept between us.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
klint, if memory serves me correctly you are only a youngster, I can't remember your exact age.

But I can tell you about my experience if it helps.

I grew up in a very stable happy family environment, 2 parents, younger sister, family pets, nice car and no financial issues. The area I grew up in wasn't great though, a suburb of West London that has a fairly bad reputation for violence and drugs.

During my school years I dabbled in a few bits and pieces, but when I left school at 16 and went to live in Brighton everything changed. I got myself a drug habit, nothing too serious, but a constant habit nonetheless. My friends and I woudl spend every evening and every penny we had on drugs. At the time it seemed fantastic, getting off our nuts in fields and on the beach. It was a good laugh and I do still have fond memories of some of those times.

But... all that changed one day when I realised that it was doing me no good at all. It was affecting my career, I would turn up to work with bloodshot eyes and tired beyond belief, no concentration at all. I was a zombie. I also realised how much it was costing me financially. I decided one day to just take the cold turkey route. To begin with I still went out with my friends, but didn't take part in the drugs. After a while I realised how stupid they looked and acted while on them, and I stopped hanging around with them and started to make new friends.

You realise you have a problem, that's a good thing. You also want to do something about it, that's even better. Now you just have to make the decision and follow it through with every ounce of willpower and determination you've got. Trust me Klint, you won't regret it ;)

Good luck, and feel free to contact me by PM if you want any more advice or information, or even just to chat :)

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Klint, you are a brave soul.

I can tell you that no longer can I drink alcohol, we just don't mix. So, in a way I know where you're coming from, but won't go into details here, I may PM you.

It's an awful trip to hell...glad to see you're back with the angels.

I hope you do what's best and keep moving forward with your life!!!

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Klint, I dabbled in my twenties, but nothing serious. A lot of my friends did more than dabble though. Good luck to you, it's a hard road ahead.

·
World Wide Flying Ace
830 Posts
All credit to you for tackling this problem before it gets any worse. It's very brave asking for help and you've taken a very important step just admitting things are not right.
Sorry I have no practical help, but when I saw the thread I just wanted to offer some support.

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Baz F said:
All credit to you for tackling this problem before it gets any worse. It's very brave asking for help and you've taken a very important step just admitting things are not right.
Sorry I have no practical help, but when I saw the thread I just wanted to offer some support.
Klint, I just wanted to echo Baz's comments, all the best mate and take note of what Chris had to say.

·
Silly Moo !
12,442 Posts
Baz F said:

Good words Baz - Ditto

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Baz F said:
Same here as well -- Can offer no practical help, -- You have admitted you need some help that is a great start, best wishes to you. Buttons words are a great example of what can be done ;)

·
Mini2 saved my life
412 Posts
Klint, I've been there too, I'm now the manager of a residential rehab in London.

My advice is try all your options first before considering re-hab, have you thought about Narcotics anonymous?, have you discussed the issue with your family? How about proffessional counselling at a drop in clinic.

Rehab is an intensive, difficult and demanding process that is only suitable if you have exhausted all your options.

There are many options for you and there is loads of support out there so don't despair.

First thing talk to your family and close freinds.

You'll be fine!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can see you are needing some help, I worked as a part timer at a rehab place, the people there were serious users, not soft so called recreational drugs, Like Buttonit I'd got involved and saw the light soon enough, I had to change my job and lifestyle in order to get out of the spiral, a lot of my buddies at the time did'nt and are sadly no longer around.

To get to the point, the people in the Lea Clinic were seriously hard drug users, the only reason they were there was because they wanted above everything else to change their lives. All of them had a hard time, but the support from each other and the staff was fantastic and during the 2 years I was working with them just about everybody pulled through unscathed. I'm still in touch with quite a few and we meet up, its still hard for them everyday, but they have the desire. Thats the important part. No matter what the organisation, schedule and staff want you to do, and its all good BTW, the end result is down to you. You never beat it, but every day without is another goal reached.

I wish you luck, and if you need any advice or help, well I've got bucketloads. Please feel free to get in touch.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Sorry I cant offer advice - but I wish you the best mate.

If you ever need anyone to chat to, you know where to find me ;)

Good luck.
Scotty

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
I dabbled as a youngster and realised one morning after a night out that I didn't have a clue what I had actually taken - pills of some sort but they could have been anything. Made me think and stop what I was doing. It alienated me from that group of friends which was sad, but sadder still was seeing the depths to which some of them then sank - I was glad to be out of it. But I also believe I am better for having experienced it and come out of it - I do relate to others who have similar problems, and I can discuss it knowledgably and understandingly with my kids. You have overcome the biggest hurdle - your mind - and realised you need to move on. Now just do it - forget the other pressures, smoke and drink as much as you like to avoid the drugs, go abroad, get a new hobby whatever - just keep your mind off it. I guess smoking was my escape and it took me 20 more years before i quit that ......... now I'm just an angel :D

Good luck mate - and you know you'll get support from everyone on here :)

·
Ninja
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey everyone,

Thanks ever so much for the support, good words and advice, it's greatly appreciated, I don't know how I'd be able to return the favour, to you all. Every reply has been read and absorbed.

It seems it's just a phase (I hope!)....I've managed to keep off the stuff since Saturday/Sunday so it's getting better, I'm starting to cope without needing to take any of the stuff, which I guess is good, seems there isn't much need for a re-hab course so soon, just yet.

Contrary to popular belief, it can actually become addictive, I've never really taken it jointly (no pun intended;)) with other substances (such as tobbacco) but directly, which caught me by surprise.

My main concern is where it can lead to, I don't think it hinders my life at the moment since I'm busy most of the days, but it's the more lethal drugs that the 'addiction' could possibly lead to that'd probally turn my world upside down....Not good at all.

Thanks everyone...

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Hang in there dude, dope is the easiest to give up on ;) Just be strong, and call on us if you need to :)

·
MCSJCW
1,667 Posts
When I was a little younger (i'm 26 in a few weeks) , and just left school, I hit the party scene pretty hard. Got caught up in things that I wish no one to see or do. I snapped out of it when a close mate OD'ed and looking at him, I couldn't do anything to help him.

I don't do drugs and drink in moderation, but my partner of three years doesn't drink or drug at all, due to his experiences with it when younger.

As the rest of these guys and girls said, you can always PM any of us if need be.

Good luck, as it is no means easy, but well worth it in the end :)

Cheers

Karen

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
Klint, you have made a very important first move......recognising you have an addiction of some kind. Until you have made that move you can't move on.....the doors are now open for you to seek help. I don't do drugs and drink in moderation but I do have an eating disorder! Not the same in some ways but oh so debilitating in others. Any addiction is a problem if it affects your life to such an extent.

I am with you all the way.....as Phanny says I am a good listener too.

You have mail xxxxx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
17 Participants
Minnie Mouse
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing