MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called progressive you know so they could give me the comparison and everything.

So the guy says, "Mini, who makes that?" I say "MINI". Dead silence falls on the line. Then a mumble comes, "umm.. what model?" Me: "Cooper", then more silence. Him: "Sorry I can't hear you". Me: "C-O-O-P-E-R". Him: "Hold on". After a brief hold comes back with the VIN question. Me: "The car is not yet on the market, I don't have the VIN". Yet again silence. So I say, "How is a person supposed to shop insurance for a car they are looking at buying if you can't give a quote without a VIN?" Just a little more silence then, "Sir, I am not trying to argue with you." So I kinda just chuckled and said "Thanks for you time."

So theres my story, are there any companies that are quoting yet?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Kevin,

I understand your frustration. Please do a Search for the words VIN and INSURANCE and you'll find some threads that list sample Cooper and Cooper S VINs that can be used for this purpose. :) (My insurance company said the VIN that I gave them clearly identified the MINI as a BMW brand and then they could find the Cooper and Cooper S MINI models on their computer system. They provided a very reasonable quote. Surprisingly, the S insurance was only a few dollars more each month over a standard Cooper - yeah baby! :D)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Bruce,
What insurance company gave you a quote?
Insurance rates are rising here in California;
so I'm a little nervous about insurance costs
for a Mini.
Thanks,
Minirossa

·
Registered
342 Posts
according to someone else's post tonight on the roadfly mini board, they were quoted the same price by state farm for both the cooper and the S. According to their agent, there wasn't enough known difference between the car to warrant a difference in rates.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I currently have State Farm and I can gaurantee that they will change those real quick. My insurance changes every few months, sometimes up, sometimes down. I wouldn't recommend State Farm to anyone who makes very many claims. They don't like to pay their bills. I have had the people call me that did the work asking if I can call my agent to see if I can hurry them along. And this was months after I had any work done.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've had exactly the opposite experience with them but then I live just down the road from their regional headquarters, might make a difference. it also helps to have an agent who knows people to pull strings with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No experience with State Farm, but I highly recommend Nationwide. They've been great for me with low rates and great service. Switched from GEICO to Nationwide. Hopefully I'll have a quote for the MINI soon :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
minirossa said:
Bruce,
What insurance company gave you a quote?
Insurance rates are rising here in California;
so I'm a little nervous about insurance costs
for a Mini.
Thanks,
Minirossa
It was from Allstate, my current agent. But I also called GIECO and they also had the MINI on their system and their rates were about the same as Allstate.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
You better believe the S will be more. More HP = more insurance $. S only parts = more insurance $.

When I got my Neon R/T, they asked all the standard questions: 2dr/4dr, SOHC/DOHC, options, etc. Then the biggy, is it the R/T model? Cha-ching!
An extra $10/month! Not that much more but it is more. I expect the S to be around the $70-80/month around here in the NW.

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
I wouldn't insure through GEICO on a matter of principle (they have been donating laser speed checkers to police departments).

I've been with Amica for years, and have never had a problem getting paid for a claim. They may not be the absolute cheapest, but you do get a refund of excess premiums if they have a good year (they're a true mutual insurance company).

Chip H.

·
Registered
176 Posts
U.S. Auto Insurance Now Available

The MINI is starting to appear in the online automobile insurance quote systems for the major U.S. carriers. State Farm wins the top prize at the moment for having the 2002 Cooper and Cooper S listed under the MINI brand. Allstate ranks a close second with both the 2002 Cooper and Cooper S listed under the BMW brand. No VIN is required for online quotes with these two companies.

At this moment, GEICO and Kemper have an "other" category on their online systems within the BMW brand for getting a call-back quote to insure a MINI. Safeco, American Family, Nationwide, AIG, Progressive, and the insurance comparison site Quotesmith (a Progressive affiliate, I think) do not yet have the MINI listed in their web quotation systems. I haven't checked many other companies yet, including General Electric. Auto Owners and State Auto issue quotes strictly through agents, not online.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got a quote from my current carrier (State Farm) and I was pleasantly surprised. Only about $100 more/ year than my current car ('95 VW Golf Sport). I am getting more stoked about this. That and the G/F finally gave the nod of approval. Not that I am bowing down, I just don't want to get nagged all the time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I spoke with my agent today. She couldn't find anything about the Cooper S as a MINI or a BMW. She gave me an estimate based on what I told her of around $1000 per year. She suggested that I call back after the car is actually on sale here in the US and perhaps they'll know more then. For the record, my company is CNA.

·
Registered
927 Posts
soloKev

I also use State Farm - got an online quote tonight.

For a Cooper - well covered - very reasonable (although I'm 50, multicar discount, clean record, etc).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts