MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a set & wanted to see what difference in the ride height they would make. Anyone got any pictures?

Cheers

MAFFA

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I was... but now on coilovers (a bargin set for £250 refurbed, just the sort of deal MAFFA loves)

I think I might have some pics somewhere though, i'll have a search.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Any image you see of my car online etc will be of it on the KWs...Don't think theres any of it on the Spax coilovers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was... but now on coilovers (a bargin set for £250 refurbed, just the sort of deal MAFFA loves)
You know me so well already :biggrin:

I got mine fitted today & it looks awesome! I'll clean it over the weekend & get some pics posted.

£45 for the brand new springs & £40 fitted by my trusty mechanic :biggrin: Funny he seems to charge £40 for everything....fitted my catback exhaust & changed my brake discs - £40.....fit a set of 4 tyres - £10 a corner = £40 LOL

Another MAFFA Bargain ;)

MAFFA

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
They will settle a bit yet chap. I think I used to get two thin fingers just about able to squeeze between the arch and tyre once mine had settled... so about an inch-inch and half between tyre and arch?!

Huh! That image of me in the carpark next to the other DS mini really shows the difference in ride height between the KWs and the stock suspension!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They will settle a bit yet chap. I think I used to get two thin fingers just about able to squeeze between the arch and tyre once mine had settled... so about an inch-inch and half between tyre and arch?!
How long do they take to settle as it's pretty low :aargh:

I gotta admit when I first took it for a spin they still felt a bit spongy. After 1/2hr driving & leaving it in the office carpark for the afternoon it settled quite a lot. When I got back in it the car felt so much more solid. I'll be interested in seeing what it's like in the morning :)

It's so obvious to me that it's been lowered but i'm hoping that the misses doesn't notice :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Got to go out in it tomorrow so we'll soon see :wink::biggrin:

Off to London tomorrow so i'll clean it Sunday & get some pictures taken. To give you an idea i've attached pictures of what it was like before :)

MAFFA

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took a picture of my manky dirty car on my phone today :biggrin::biggrin:

I'll get some proper ones tomorrow but it's looking very low :wink:

God knows how the misses didn't notice a) the change in ride height & b) the firmer ride :aargh::aargh:

MAFFA

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it much harder then buddy? how do they feel? better handling etc?
I would say that the standard MCS suspension is already quite firm for the size of the car & yes this does firm it up substantially. I am not aware that they are progressive like the Eibachs (correct me if i'm wrong) but they are a very good spring.

I have had 2 Subaru's before now. One running Tein coilovers & the other running Tanabe coilovers & they were VERY hard. They were way beyond proper usability on the road. These KW springs however are firm without being harsh. They work very well with the standard damper to absorb the majority of bumps & yet corner very very flat. The lower centre of gravity makes the already great handling exceptional. I honestly can't wait to try them on a track.

If you have run standard suspension & coilovers before you would probably agree that this is a great compromise that not only improves the handling but makes the car look 100% better :)

All for £80 fitted...brand new :wink:

MAFFA

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Is that yours? Well I can't remember, you change your cars more frequently than I change my pants george :p LOL

I remember driving it, just couldn't remember being next to it on the Malverns (but I should I suppose as you were following me and Bhozar for most of it)

Really does show the huge difference the KWs make though in ride height, look at how much lower it is to the tyres on the rear and how low the roofline looks compared to yours! :eek:

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
He even went to the dark side at one point and boght a .... I can hardly bring myself to say it.... 3 series :p

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The 3 series was a nice colour though!

Im thinking maybe Bert should go lower on KWs!!

We fitted the Eibachs and the ride was awful, then we fitted new standard shocks and its propper nice now, not crashy but nice and firm.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He even went to the dark side at one point and boght a .... I can hardly bring myself to say it.... 3 series :p
My last 2 cars before the Mini:

UK Spec Impreza

Had this for 6yrs. Built most of it myself. Tweaked to 320BHP & 310lb/ft so power not immense but boy did I tweak the handling :nice:

E39 BMW M5

The sensible family car LOL :biggrin::biggrin:

Excuse my son in the picture but this is the only picture I could find from our trip to France in May :)

How do these cars rate? :biggrin::tongue:

MAFFA

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
;)

It may have even been... dare i say it... a deisel?! :eek: :p I hope it wasn't but who knows what madness crept into him when he went sensible and bought that "old mans car" ;)

Just kidding mate, it was nice colour and had the msport bumpers didn't it... so it was not so bad... plus as dave says the colour was good... but then he and I might be biased on that :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts