MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky you if you have!
Many of you will be bored by now of my GP v new S dilemma;), but decision time is looming closer and just wanted to ask a complete school boy question, if peeps who have both can advise which is brisker.

Haven't driven a GP in anger enough to really feel the difference between it and our facelift JCW (in terms of speed). But on driving the Clubman S (on accompanied test drive) it doesn't feel much off the pace in comparison to our JCW's especially sub 4Krpm.:puzzled:

So who has both and can help me on this one. I'm not talking about pace as the GP obviously has superior handling and set up - just good old top trump straight line acceleration from standstill but more importantly in gear.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I owned an R56 MCS for about three weeks. I owned and still own GP0203 - but I got rid of the R56; it's nothing like as much pleasure to drive. It's not even the power differences - it's overall feel.
See comments on my website (which generated quite a bit of dicussion on the other MINI forum!)
Ians GBMINI (MINI Cooper) ? Blog Archive » If you don’t love it …

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
Very interesting link.....

It's interesting to see how the reactions to your comments (on the GBMINI website) were much more positive than they might have been if they had been published elsewhere ;)

Hopefully, it will help answer femstar's dilemma.

Tigger.

Reactions: GBMINI and *Vikki*

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
I haven't got both, but I have got the R56 "S". It all depends whether you want rare but extremely fun car or want a mature MINI that is refined but very fun! Owning an R56 "S" is a pleasure, even in run-in because there's so much poke at lower revs.

You've also got to consider looks and get the right car for your driving style where you will enjoy it the most.

However, I quite disagree with GBMINIs blog post. It doesn't surprise me however as I've read alot of R53 owners that have gone to the R56 have been disappointed. I can only imagine BMW have made the MINI grow up to attract more customers. It's certainly grabbed me in comparison to a choice of cars I could of got (Focus ST, Astra VXR, Leon Cupra, Mazda RX-8).

I do remember driving an R50 Cooper when I did my pass plus. To be honest, I don't think the R56 has lost any connection with the road in comparion. I can chuck my R56 "S" around corners with ease and know wherever I point my steering wheel, it'll go there. It still has that go-kart feel no other car can give you. I guess the electronic assisted steering (not sure if that was in the R50) may have a lost that feel a little bit, but the MINI won't stay the same. It has to go in some direction, regardless of possibly BMW coming away from the Mini original a little bit with the R56 to make a better all-rounded car.

As a an R56 "S" owner, I can only offer the positives the car as I definately feel it's a good progression from the R50/R53.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had the exact same dilemma before I bought my R56 Cooper S as I looked at a few GP's.

There's no doubting the GP is an absoltuely brilliant car and offers a lot in terms of a rewarding drive but I opted for the R56 as it offers the more complete package. Added to the fact i'm a bit of a gadget geek and you have to bear in mind the GP's have nothing in terms of spec. Even xenons are forfeited which put me off greatly.

I would say, however that the GP is a more striking car to look at than a standard R56, but in terms of an all round package - the R56 takes it every time. It's an absolute hoot and I don't regret my decision at all. :)

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
I haven't driven the R56 S, so I shall give a for/against for the GP.

For:

• The looks are stunning. Seeing a picture of a GP does not, I feel, do it justice. The whole stance of the car looks like it needs to constantly be restrained to stop it speeding off. Whenever I take the car out people admire it, underestimate it, and respect it.
  • Driving. The whole set up of the car is spot on. You can purchase an R56 S, R56 S JCW and I don't think there would be much in it against the GP in terms of pace. From what I have read the new cars have excellent mid range punch like the GP. But the whole set up of the GP is just so focused on its purpose; I have never driven a car like it before. I don't think we will see it again until they do and R56 GP.
  • Noise. When sat cruising on the motorway the GP will keep noise down to civilised levels. But when you take it to the redline the supercharger absolutely screams, and mixed with the rumble of the exhaust, removed sound damping, and huge area for the sound to resonate..... its like the Cooper S on steroids in surround stereo. It is one of my favourite traits of the car, one I feel I would miss in the R56.
  • Exclusivity. You do not, and will not see many of these around. I see probably 10 MINIs a day around where I live, none of them are a GP.
  • Boot space. No rear seats allows a decent amount of room.
  • Fuel economy. It is only by the skin of its teeth that the GP gets a positive here, and it comes with a caveat. I use my GP as my main car. On motorway journeys from 70-75 mph in 6th, the GP will cruise with quite acceptable fuel consumption. On a B road though, this all changes. But you don't buy a GP for economy, I just mentioned the motorway consumption as it is often glossed over.
  • Residual value. So far they have been strong and hopefully will remain so.
Against:

• Fuel economy. It has to be mentioned again here because it is not good around town or when you are driving it how it is meant to be driven.
  • Tax. It is £210 this year going up to £300 next year as the government pretend to do something about global warming.
  • The car does not come with an alarm as standard. You can easily take it to Mikey at NewMINIstuff though, and he will rectify that for you.
  • You have to be very careful over speed bumps as it is pretty low!
It is difficult for me to remain unbiased in my assessment of the GP, as is to be expected. But I feel I have been pretty fair. Good luck in deciding!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
that last bit about the alarm on the GP, i still find that ludicrous. The most desirable and rare of all the Mini's and they leave it unprotected. Still if i see a GP in a dark car park i know i won't get disturbed removing the tailgate and spoiler by a pesky alarm........(bugger did i just say that out loud...lol)

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
that last bit about the alarm on the GP, i still find that ludicrous. The most desirable and rare of all the Mini's and they leave it unprotected. Still if i see a GP in a dark car park i know i won't get disturbed removing the tailgate and spoiler by a pesky alarm........(bugger did i just say that out loud...lol)
The lack of alarm is stupid. Although, I also have a team of ninjas protecting the car. You have been warned :ninja20lz:

:D

·
Registered
638 Posts
sorry, but to compare the GP and R56 is a touch silly imho. You buy a GP if you want a focussed mini, you buy a GP if you have no need for rear seats, you buy a GP if you want exclusivity........

You buy an R56 if you want a quick, comfortable, excellent car. It is more useable, looks better (I do find a GP looks a touch Halfords special, not special) and the engine is a more useable one on the road.

The fact the GP will return circa 25mpg compared to 35mpg + for the 56 would put me off too, but then again, I do 30K a year........

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had an R53 MCS and went to an R56 MCS

I didn't even consider the GP - 2 seats / MPG / insurance

To me, the GP would be a weekend car whereas the R56 would be a "Commute" car - maybe that sums up the R56, it is a little compromised on some of the "feel", compared to the R53 - but that feel would leave my wife barely able to walk after a "spirited" mini-run, compared to wobbly legs following a mini-run in the R56.

I have found that my R56 can give the R53 S Works a run for their money - but then on a mini run I have found that some of the Cooper / One's are no spring chickens either !

In the end though, as everyone says it's down to personal preference, buy it, then enjoy it :D

·
Registered
940 Posts
Put it this way, I use the GP as an everyday car - yes the MPG is not as good as it could be but its not that different to a regular S - yes the tax will be £300 next year but its the same for all R53 S's. But smiles per miles I love it. (Although im rebuilding a classic for the works commute to save wear & tear on the GP.....)

Interestingly been looking at R56's as a repmobile though I have to agree with GBmini's comments. Its just not the same driving experience as the R53, the Cooper D is about the best of the bunch but it still does not feel "Right". Dont get me wrong - great little car, but its just lost something that was there in the R53 and even the Classics.

At the end of it all try both back to back? see how you feel then.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys this help, thanks for flagging up all the positives and negs, most of which i had considered already. Even more unsure now so may hold onto my R53JCW for just a tad longer, although GP prices seem pretty buyer orientated at mo.It's a toughie!
:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts