MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

only just got my mini, i'm only 19 so could only get the mini one (insurance you see!) - but its good enough for me. I've done 100 miles in the past 5 days but was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me, that is, sometimes the engine in the car does not start first time( no matter how long i keep the key turned). it is only after the second attempt that it starts. also i noticed today that when i was driving there was a burning smell. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the car or from outside! but it smelt like burning rubber?!? Is it because the car is still new or is it to do with something else?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
577 Posts
Others have mentioned the burning smell, could be from the catalytic converters. It should go away in time. Use the "search" function or look under "Faults and Fixes" and you will find a list of the problems some MINI owners have had. The most common are squeaky seats and dashboard rattles. Some MINIs have an alignment problem and exhibit a strong pull to the left (not due to the road crown) and there have been many reports of electrical problems (doors refuse to open, windows go up and down by themselves, central locking and alarm turns off by itself, etc.) Hopefully yours will be one of the better ones, but it is nice to know what problems other people have experienced in case it happens to you.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
mr.bill said:
Some MINIs have an alignment problem and exhibit a strong pull to the left (not due to the road crown) and there have been many reports of electrical problems (doors refuse to open, windows go up and down by themselves, central locking and alarm turns off by itself, etc.) Hopefully yours will be one of the better ones, but it is nice to know what problems other people have experienced in case it happens to you.
Hey, well done mr.bill! I bet kgbnat feels great about his MINI now!:rolleyes:

kgbnat, I'm sure your problems are easily fixed. Enjoy your MINI and ignore the "faults & fixes" forum until you have a problem. It will make you paranoid!!;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
R1 said:

Enjoy your MINI and ignore the "faults & fixes" forum until you have a problem. It will make you paranoid!!;)
Well said again that man.

I havn't been in there for ages for that very reason. Good for people with REAL problems........but bad for MINI moral otherwise.......

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
mr.bill said:
Others have mentioned the burning smell, could be from the catalytic converters. It should go away in time. Use the "search" function or look under "Faults and Fixes" and you will find a list of the problems some MINI owners have had. The most common are squeaky seats and dashboard rattles. Some MINIs have an alignment problem and exhibit a strong pull to the left (not due to the road crown) and there have been many reports of electrical problems (doors refuse to open, windows go up and down by themselves, central locking and alarm turns off by itself, etc.) Hopefully yours will be one of the better ones, but it is nice to know what problems other people have experienced in case it happens to you.
:rolleyes: dear oh dear mr.bill, what are we going to do with you.......

:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
kbgnat said:
Hi,

only just got my mini, i'm only 19 so could only get the mini one (insurance you see!) - but its good enough for me. I've done 100 miles in the past 5 days but was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me, that is, sometimes the engine in the car does not start first time( no matter how long i keep the key turned). it is only after the second attempt that it starts. also i noticed today that when i was driving there was a burning smell. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the car or from outside! but it smelt like burning rubber?!? Is it because the car is still new or is it to do with something else?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Despite the somewhat negative reply of mr.bill's. You will find you have come to the right place to find out EVERYTHING there is to know about everything MINI.

Congratulations on your new car, I hope your enjoying it.

But seriously the faults and fixes area is a great place to find out about your own concerns, but remember that not all problems reported will affect your particular MINI. So try not to panic too much.

Now I sound condescending........so i'll shut up. :)

ENJOY.......and congratulations on your second post :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Your car cost you a lot of money.
Time for you to ask your dealer to fix your starting problem. It should always start FIRST time. You must insist that they fix it and don't just accept it. Too many people do not get there problems fixed because of the effort and hassle. It is best to get it sorted now so that you can enjoy your car a.s.a.p.

mr.bill is correct in what he says. Fortunately I have had none of the electrical problems that he has mentioned. As you have a burning smell that you are not sure of, it would not be a bad idea to get the dealer to investigate that too.

Apart from the things that you have already mentioned, how is your MINI One going in general? Are you happy with everything else and how it functions?

Life is always full of problems, and MINIs are a part of Life.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My posts aren't intended to be negative, only factual. He asked about problems others had, so I told him where to look. Can you deny that the problems exist? Pretending they don't is not going to get them solved. Hopefully his car will be fault-free, but if it is not, then he won't feel alone.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry but the burning smell is perfectly normal. My Cooper did it and my loan One did, both when brand new, but then fades after awhile. It's not a problem to worry about.
As for not starting first time, it it's a persistant problem then of course speak to your dealer, but if it was a one off, don't worry, just enjoy.

Take what Mr Bill says with a pinch of salt, he has never driven a MINI, let alone owned one, he just loves to jump on any problem that arises.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts