MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

only just got my mini, i'm only 19 so could only get the mini one (insurance you see!) - but its good enough for me. I've done 100 miles in the past 5 days but was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me, that is, sometimes the engine in the car does not start first time( no matter how long i keep the key turned). it is only after the second attempt that it starts. also i noticed today that when i was driving there was a burning smell. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the car or from outside! but it smelt like burning rubber?!? Is it because the car is still new or is it to do with something else?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
I think a burning smell in a car (regardless of how old it is) is always cause for concern - I certainly didn't get that when my car was as new as yours..:confused:

Have you checked that everything in the engine is as it should be? There's a chance that a cap hasn't been secured properly or maybe some trim has come loose and has worked it's way onto a hot spot on the engine?

Either way, I think that that and the car not starting (something else that my car has never had a problem with) gives you enough reason to get back to the dealers and have them check it out asap!..:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My mini one (slitzer) wouldn't start first time and was only fixed when my faulty CD was fixed (was draining the battery causing him to require mini emergency services twice). I think the garage put the not starting first time down to me being female!

Apparently my program box wasn't reading my key fast enough. I got a new program box fitted and everything (touch wood) is ok now. no burning smells though.

Hope this helps. This was fixed at Menzies garage, Stirling. :confused:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply,

thought the problem with the ignition had gone, as the car is now two and a half weeks old of which the first week, i had ignition problems. But during the whole of the second week the problem seemed to have dissapeared (unfortunate really as i had booked the car in for a check up and since the ignition seemed fine, the dealers couldn't find anything wrong - they probably thought i was winding them up!!). Now that i have got the car back, the problem has started again!:confused: Anyway, with regard to the point you made about the CD player draining the battery (i have seen posts of this in the forum before) but i don't think this is the problem with my car as after the first attempt of starting the car fails, my second attempt (a few seconds later, always start). Anyhow, I don't have the single slot CD, I have the CD changer, so i think we can safely rule that out of the equation.

But the second point you brought up, is a lot more interesting (and i think that may be the problem with my car). I will mention this to my dealer about the program box not picking up the key ignition fast enough, but first i would like to gather more info. So i would be very greatful if you could provide me with more info on this. I would also like other mini owners comments as to wether they have had this delayed response ('slow progrm box') problem with their cars.

Thanks again Carol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again,

I'm afraid I'm not technically minded and the technicians blinded me with jargon, but I suggest your garage phone Menzies - service manager Frank Short on 01786 474477. They should have a record under my reg no - SL51 TZR. Warn them that they should have all the necessary computer discs as Menzies left Slitzer immobilised and I had to take their spare mini for a few days. My partner thinks it was an ECU unit.

Definately sounds the same problem, as I put up with that intermitent problem for months. Menzies persuaded me that I wasn't holding in the key long enough!

Going on holiday now for a few days, so will catch up with any further corr when I get back.

Hope Menzies are helpful. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Good Luck & Bye

Carol ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Burning

My car did that for the first 500miles or so, but thats becouse it was driven quite quickly. All new cars do it ie my 206cc, Renault Laguna. It happens, get it checked out though.

Mark

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
yea steering to the left as usual,but also wouldnt start sometimes first time,but straight after no probs,very sluggish,has even stalled on me going down the road,has to have some part ordered?? and go in next week,eh new car and all,raging!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Non-starter...

Don't want to patronise you mate....but are you putting ur foot on the accelerator when trying to start it? Because, unlike older cars, this actually stops the car from firing up.

I'm experiencing problems with the car pulling to the left, apparently BMW are coming up with solution this month.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Burning:
Could be the paint burning off your exhaust... I put my car in a car-lift with less than 2 miles of running dist. on the clock, as the office was next to the dealer.
When I looked up, the lift was full of smoke!.. Thought we were on fire until I realised what it was!
Burning smell only lasted for about 100 miles though.

Sounds like you should get it checked-out.

Apart from that, i've had the following minor issues:
Rattling sunroof - just live with it. No big issue.
Wonky fitted number plates - as above
Intermittent over-revving / tardy throttle - parts were on order, but not sure anymore, as that was September's complaint.
Delivered with a manual that had obviously got wet.
No keycode for the radio
Wrong TLC number - rectified by dealer.
Loose elec. connector on nearside rear lamp cluster/short. - as above
Blown nearside elec. window motor when delivered. - as above
Mis-reading fuel gauge. - awaiting parts still.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ummmm - yeah - a few!! My Mini 1 has now been into two garages around 10 times for the same fault. My airbag light is always coming on. oOn all previous occasions whenever it has been fixed it has come back on again within 2 weeks!! It is due to have the airbag at fault replaced soon as it is a poor connection on the wiring loom linking it to the cars diagnostic systems ( apparently). I also have a moderatley large crack in the windscreen which has appeared and is to be investigated by the BMW local warrenty advisor. Has anyone else experienced this? Also on the topic - does anyone know about the rear supension fault that was mentioned in Auto Express recently?

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW - forgot to mention it before. My car has the alarm fitted - a few times the key hasn't started the engine when turned - i found that by using the key fob to lock and unlock the car it was fine - Must be a litle gremlin in the immobiliser. Does anyone have problems with thier windows not dropping down properly when opening or closing the doors?

·
Registered
10 Posts
yep.

The heater packed up after 350 miles.. apparently the selector cable came loose. sorted with no problems yet.

And it pulls to the left..the dealer is waiting for the fix apparently.

otherwise it's a great little car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts