MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has a means to get a shop manual from their dealer/manufacturer, or another publisher other than the manufacturer, please let me know.

Thank you.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Garfield said:
If anyone has a means to get a shop manual from their dealer/manufacturer, or another publisher other than the manufacturer, please let me know.

Thank you.
Garfield

did you have any luck with this - I want to get hold of one now!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand now, they may not be making a printed version right away, just on CD. That's what I was told by engineering and technical and MINI.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Manual -- we don't need no stinkin' Manual

I'm sure the Factory MINI Tech Manual will come on a CD, but the dealer would be reluctant to sell you a copy. We wouldn't want owners fiddling with their cars during the warranty period, would we? If you in good with a MINI mechanic you might persuade him to run off a copy of say a wiring diagram though. It would also give the dealer an edge over independant mechanics to restrict access of the Manual only to dealer mechanics. MINI corporate most likely has some restriction on dealers releasing that information.

For DIY car owners there are two likely sources of a printed or CD based MINI maintenance manual: Haynes UK and Bentley Publishing. I emailed both in December and received these replies.

Haynes--UK
RE: New Mini
Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the above vehicle, unfortunately we do not produce a Service & Repair manual for your vehicle and regret have no plans to do so within the foreseeable future (6-8 months).

However, all customer requests are recorded and used in the decision making process of future manual publications/updates. I realise that this may be of little help to you at present, but I can assure you that your request has not been ignored. Sorry we could not be of further assistance in this instance, assuring you of our best intentions at all times. Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.
Regards
Emmeline Willmott Email:- [email protected]
Customer Services Direct line: (01963) 442083

Bentley Publishers--US
Thank you for your interest in Bentley Publishers. Unfortunately we do not have a manual for the 2002 Saab Mini, we only have manuals for the Saab 900, covering up to model year 1993. However, I will keep your name on file to inform you of when we might be making a manual for the Saab Mini. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Schneider Customer Service

I think one of the above customer service agents was a little confused, or perhaps she has some inside information we don't yet know. Anyway, it would be helpful to speed things along if other interested MINI owners would email or call the Haynes Rep at the above address with their interest in a service manual as well.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the only problem is that in SCCA Solo II, you are required to have a factory shop manual on hand in the event of a protest. So, if someone decides to protest me, I'm DSQ'd. On the other hand, I'm now competing FOR my dealership, so something will be worked out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Garfield: That sure sounds like a dumb rule to me. The last time I checked, 5 yrs. ago, a complete set of Factory Repair Manuals for my car, ran 10 3-inch 3-ring binders, and cost $300. I got a Haynes Manual instead.

Since, most new repair manuals will be CD based, I guess you'll have to carry around a laptop too. Would a factory parts catalog instead of a factory repair manual suffice?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts