MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
likes pork
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone local who's tried it...

My car is leased so I don't want to do any of physical upgrades if I can help it. This Mod (or something like it) really appeals to me since you can reset the car back to the factory defaults in 5 minutes. I just wonder if this will do much without accompanying it with a pulley, etc. The other thing is, being the cheap :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: that I am, if one of us gets the cable (around $100 from what i've read) we can share it amongst us and just download the car-specific upgrade from the company (around $75 i think.. cheap!).

I'm a total n00b to tuning, so please excuse my ignorance on the subject if it shows :rolleyes: ...

Here's a link to the thread in the Mod/performance forum: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68508

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
jbaker said:
Looking for someone local who's tried it...

My car is leased so I don't want to do any of physical upgrades if I can help it. This Mod (or something like it) really appeals to me since you can reset the car back to the factory defaults in 5 minutes. I just wonder if this will do much without accompanying it with a pulley, etc. The other thing is, being the cheap :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: that I am, if one of us gets the cable (around $100 from what i've read) we can share it amongst us and just download the car-specific upgrade from the company (around $75 i think.. cheap!).

I'm a total n00b to tuning, so please excuse my ignorance on the subject if it shows :rolleyes: ...

Here's a link to the thread in the Mod/performance forum: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68508
I'm hoping to do the mod on Friday - if the cable sold with a VW/Audi diagnostics system also works with the MTH down and uploads...

According to NAM:
MINI Cooper S without pulley with 94 octane gas = approx 190HP

MINI Cooper S with 15% pulley w/91 = 205HP and 94 = about 220HP

·
likes pork
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pezboy said:
I don't believe those numbers. No pulley, just software...27hp? No way.
that's precicely why i wanted to ask :)

sounds too good to be true... but for 200 bucks I may be willing to give it a shot ;)

:besmart: or... even better... I'd be willing to be the guinee pig and test it on my car if one of you wants to finance the endeavor :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
So today I went to my mechanic, put 59,31 EUR on my credit card, downloaded the software into his laptop, downloaded the MINI data through his cable, and e-mailed the files to Germany for modification.

The whole process was really simple and the cable was a non-issue. Now the wait for the files to come back...

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Ivan,
The recall will give you V39 (sometimes called V39.2) software, which solves a theoretical emissions non-detection issue. Check with MTH if the V39 upgrade will affect their changes - I suspect all you need to do is get V39, and *then* put the MTH update in ...

·
Registered
444 Posts
snek said:
I'm hoping to do the mod on Friday - if the cable sold with a VW/Audi diagnostics system also works with the MTH down and uploads...

According to NAM:
MINI Cooper S without pulley with 94 octane gas = approx 190HP

MINI Cooper S with 15% pulley w/91 = 205HP and 94 = about 220HP
Won't happen, no way. I would bet the following;

MINI Cooper S without pulley with 94 octane gas = approx 170HP

MINI Cooper S with 15% pulley w/91 = 180HP and 94 = about 181HP
at most.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
So I just uploaded the file without problems. Driving away I noticed the car was smoother when getting on and off the gas. It now pulls from below 1500 rpm in any gear - and all the way to the redline. Then instead of the rev limiter yanking the power, it just attenuates the output untill you shift. After 50 miles: it's great :)

·
likes pork
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:cool:

Very good to hear. I think I just found a Christmas present for my girlfriend to buy me :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.