MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Big girl's blouse
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. Here in Texas it is hot most of the year so I imagine there are reasonable gains from decent intercooler cooling.

Is it possible to bleed cold air off of the a/c in some way and divert it to the intercooler?

Or am I blowing smoke?

Cheers,
Sprydle

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
It'd work.
I really don't think you'd see any gains over the loss you see by running the compressor though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Although, if it's hot all the time (amient temperature), you'd probably already have the a/c running anyway. It'd be an interesting test, to see what sort of gains there would be.
Here in Darwin, it's 30 deg C all year round with 50 - 99% humidity so the a/c stays on permanantly - diverting cold air to the intercooler may produce slight performance gains.
Anyone else have better info?

Dutchy.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm not sure if it's practical on the MINI but I do believe the Ford F150 SVT has a button that will re-direct A/C air into the intake for 30 seconds or so. As was posted earlier, I would think that turning the A/C off would give much more of an increase that just re-routing air. Every extra step decreases the efficiency. The A/C probably takes over 20 hp off an engine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hp loss or not, I wouldn't go anywhere without my a/c - maybe MINI should come up with an electical a/c system, I do believe these have already become options on some Japanese models? (maybe not). I can't wait to move to a colder climate so that I can turn the a/c off and gain a few Hp then.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Dutchy said:
Hp loss or not, I wouldn't go anywhere without my a/c - maybe MINI should come up with an electical a/c system, I do believe these have already become options on some Japanese models? (maybe not). I can't wait to move to a colder climate so that I can turn the a/c off and gain a few Hp then.
It will be interesting to see what my car is like during the 40 degree Summers here... seeing as Ive owned from Winter, and enjoyed the power without the A/C compressor. :confused:

Oh well, time will tell...

·
I love Lamp
339 Posts
No I havn't but I am thinking about setting up a intercooler water spray, that turns itself on after a certain temp is reached at the intercooler, or when the acelorator has been depressed fully for a certain amount of time......
i am sure plenty of people have done it here before, but i am trying to steal this idea from autospeed.com.au if anyone else wants to see how they do it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The AC won't produce nearly enough cool air to make a difference. Also, AC doesn't take up that much power, its a myth.

-Rob

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Dutchy said:
In that context then it would probably be best to pipe the cold air into the induction system and not trying to cool the IC.

·
Registered
128 Posts
hi, the ford F150 SVT sprays the a/c fluid on the intercooler which adds about 30% power for about 20 secs. but you only get so many shots before you need the a/c re-chargeing. waters the best bbet, try using a second washer fluid bottle with an internal pump, many cars have them, just get the best shape too sute the space. then set the washer nozzle over the intercooler and place a button inder the dash or maybe modify one of the horn buttons. ive done this on friends cars and it works quite well and quite cheep. id say about + 10-15bhp.

jester, back from the dead.

·
Registered
40 Posts
jester said:
hi, the ford F150 SVT sprays the a/c fluid on the intercooler which adds about 30% power for about 20 secs. but you only get so many shots before you need the a/c re-chargeing.
kapps said:
I'm not sure if it's practical on the MINI but I do believe the Ford F150 SVT has a button that will re-direct A/C air into the intake for 30 seconds or so.
Actually the way the proto-tpye Ford "Super Cooler" that is featured in the Gen III SVT Lightning concept has a special tank of fluid that is cooled by the A/C system and once it's been activated takes the super cool fluid and dirrects it straight into the water-to-air intercooler achieving ~30HP increse from the cold air, but only for about 20 seconds.

I think with a Air-to-Air intercooler it would be best to go with a water sprayer or water/methenal/alchol injection if you looking to get cooler air charges.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
here's a use: your are waiting in line at the drags to get to staging, warming up your intercooler from heat soak; you do a burnout at the drags to heat up your tires, also further heating up your intercooler. Launching at an intercooler temp of 175 degrees F, which drops power by 10-15hp?. when you get to the 1/4 mile point, air flow has cooled the air temp to 135 and you are back up to 190hp, too late though...14.7 sec quarter mile (my old best)

new scenario: route the ac to cool the intercooler during staging and burnout; air temp stays at 135. Turn off ac just before launch, using air flow and lack of heat soak to maintain 135 degree air temp. 13.7 sec quarter mile?

·
Big girl's blouse
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave said:
Er - anyone ever take a course in thermodynamics? . . . . .

Dave
Actually yes. 4 Years at college. Steam tables - remember them? :rolleyes: It was 16 years ago, so I'm sure that most of my thermo knowledge has suffered beer related genocyde.

I imagine what you are getting at is that you can't get something for nothing - i.e. the power lost by running the a/c will negate the power gained by cooling the intercooler - right?

However - I am not talking about just running the a/c for cooling the intercooler. I have to run the a/c anyway where I am (it's hovering around 40 deg C, and will for the next couple of months....). So I already have power lost due to running the a/c. (I suppose if I diverted all the cool air to the intercooler I would get some perceived power gains as I would lose a lot of weight due to terminal dehydration! ;))

What I'm suggesting is that some air could be bled off of the a/c to cool the intercooler somewhat - my power loss would still be the same (a/c still running), however surely there would be some gain, since my intercooler would now be running several degrees cooler.

Yes, no, maybe?

Cheers,
Sprydle

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sprydle said:
Actually yes. 4 Years at college. Steam tables - remember them? :rolleyes: It was 16 years ago, so I'm sure that most of my thermo knowledge has suffered beer related genocyde.

I imagine what you are getting at is that you can't get something for nothing - i.e. the power lost by running the a/c will negate the power gained by cooling the intercooler - right?

However - I am not talking about just running the a/c for cooling the intercooler. I have to run the a/c anyway where I am (it's hovering around 40 deg C, and will for the next couple of months....). So I already have power lost due to running the a/c. (I suppose if I diverted all the cool air to the intercooler I would get some perceived power gains as I would lose a lot of weight due to terminal dehydration! ;))

What I'm suggesting is that some air could be bled off of the a/c to cool the intercooler somewhat - my power loss would still be the same (a/c still running), however surely there would be some gain, since my intercooler would now be running several degrees cooler.

Yes, no, maybe?

Cheers,
Sprydle
I agree Sprydle, I too have to run the a/c all the time - during the wet season, even at night :eek:
So if the a/c is running anyway, any cooling of the intercooler should produce a small power gain - I would have thought.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeh but . . .

So the way I see it you set your a/c to maintain a certain interior temperature. The coolant flow is for all intents and purposes governed by the clutch cycling switch. If you decide to make that temperature lower you require more power from the a/c compressor since the coolant flow to the low pressure side of the refrigerant system (the interior) is higher. Now let's say that you decide to keep the interior of your car at the original temperature but use the a/c to cool the intake. This also requires more energy - and there's only one place that energy is coming from and that is your engine. To make matters worse the efficiency involved here is quite poor (we could work out what the maximum efficiency achievable is but that would require some actual work) I'll just guess at <50%. So you're using a process that requires more than twice the energy to get more energy from the engine - and that energy is coming from the engine. Something really doesn't add up here.

I can see the arguement for storing a cold "charge" that could be released for a brief duration for a sudden burst of additional hourse power - but that's about it.

Am I wrong?

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
CFMINI
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing